General Hospital August 2014 Discussion

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Perhaps. But it still disturbs me how their sexual preference(s) virtually preclude them from ever leaving their "gay bubble" where they can share in long-term romantic entanglements only with each other.

• Members

That's what people of specific sexual orientations do, Khan. They only !@#$%^&*] the people they're attracted to. It's the same thing with the heterosexual characters. I enjoy talking to myself.

• Members

I'm just not seeing the net value of whitewashing the social consciousness of these shows in 2014, which are severely arrested in development to begin with compared to cable or primetime, back to an antiquated state of affairs which neither of us were alive or conscious to watch. Because if you go down that rabbit hole of taking 'em back, it doesn't just stop with the gay characters. Back then we had far less black characters, we had even more interracial romances being dismantled and shouted down by the South. There's a reason no one ever remembers all that much about GH before 1977. So the question becomes, what's the upshot? Who is the audience in 2014?

• Members

Can deer even eat that?

Nah, the thing is I do think it's a ridiculous viewpoint, though I don't think Khan is ridiculous though we obviously violently disagree. I just find that to be an incredibly nihilistic (and therefore ultimately pointless) view of not only daytime but television in general. If you decide you can risk nothing beyond the antiquated sociocultural codes of 30 or 40 years ago, why make the product at all? Where is the audience?

And I think the idea that gay characters are inherently limited because they can't romance women too is backwards, to put it mildly (again, this is in 2014). By that logic we can get rid of all the straight males because they won't be [!@#$%^&*] Lucas, Brad or Felix. Maybe Nathan can take a shot but that's it, the rest are going on the James Lipton Express.

The other problem is that even if you did that, that show wouldn't sell anymore.

Archived