General Hospital August 2014 Discussion

• Members

I've often felt that RC would be happier writing a sitcom for Logo or Bravo.

I'm curious about how this stuff goes over with off liners. On one hand, I'm happy to know that featuring gay characters isn't considered soap fan kryptonite at ABC anymore. (I'm thinking about the great OLTL purge in the attempt to mollify the "mainstream audience) but conversely I wonder if the acceptance here comes from a certain amount of the "Will & Grace" factor where gay men are OTT clowns so it's more acceptable. From what I see of the discussion, these characters aren't being given serious front burner dramatic stories. They're basically just kitsch, camp and farce. Is that correct?

Again I feel the need to offer the disclaimer that I don't watch the show. (Reading the back and forth with Jonny made me feel like I should be clearer about that when I post in this thread.)

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I have heard, part of the purge at OLTL in 2010 did have to do with very negative feedback towards Kish and how heavily featured they were (part of which was because, not coincidentally, Brett Claywell had a cheap contract and Scott Evans wasn't on contract at all - thus, they were cheaper to frontload).

They were on a lot, and the story was extremely daring and not afraid to be pushy. Not that I minded any of that. But it was a perfect storm of problems because, IIRC, the Mitch, Rex/Gigi/Sky, Stacy, etc. stories, which were also frontburner at the time, were equally if not more unpopular and bringing in bad feedback and numbers as well. Therefore, ABC told OLTL to drop all of it, starting with the "overly" featured gays. Down they all went.

I think if they'd been allowed to pick and choose they could've just cut Mitch, Stacy and the Rex/Gigi stuff they could've gotten away with saving the gay story. But they weren't, and predictably Kish was first to the wall. Not that I frankly would have trusted Frank or Ron to dump a Rex/Gigi storyline before Kish or almost anyone - they remained enamored of those two in frontburner story right to the end of the network run. And Rachel, Sky, etc. were afterthoughts in that wake.

(On a side note, I don't know how true or untrue the rampant rumors about Florencia Lozano being on thin ice at the time were, especially since they were just bringing in Gina Tognoni and eager to awkwardly test her with Trevor St. John. I do know she was barely on for a month or two, but I never believed that tumor story of Téa's was for real - I always thought it was a fakeout. The exit I had heard might happen was that she would've potentially sacrificed her life to save Dani from Mitch Laurence, who had blink and you miss it scenes with TSJ that go-round.)

• Members

Wait a second -- ABC let GH get away with mentioning KNOTS LANDING, a series that neither aired on their network nor is owned by them OR by Disney? Yeah, I know, the "Donna thing." I get it. But no one at the network insisted they use DYNASTY instead? And this is the same ABC, mind you, that had AMC's Dixie once refer to her son's favorite show as "X Planet" rather than call it what it was because it happened to be on (and was owned by) FOX (you know which show I'm talking about)?

...Interesting.

• Members

But seriously, KNOTS is no more or less "gay" than any other prime-time soap out there. Now, if they had Felix or whoever talking about, say, "Starsky & Hutch" or "Eight is Enough" instead, I would think it more amusing. Not by much, mind you, but enough to be on my way.

• Members

If you look at Abby one-liners, Karen or Ginger 'singing,' and Jill Bennett mumbling "poor Val" as Joan Van Ark screeches at a shower curtain, the show is gay camp. This is a tiny fraction of 14 years. Yet, unsurprisingly, Ron only remembers this when he remembers the show.

Tunnel vision, tantrums, lack of any apparent talent...

He is the Diana Fairgate of daytime, minus the heart.

tongue.png

Scott Sickles is going to steal that.

• Members

Cheap, I watched Carly's scenes today and she didn't look like she bought anything. Did you see when she walked out of the chapel aka FrankenTodd's work space? That didn't look like a woman who just bought a bunch of lies. She looked like she knew both were lying thru their teeth.

• Members

The one good thing about this awful crossover is that I can now say I have been wearing a Laura-esque facial expression of cold disdain on my face every time I have read Ron Carlivati's name...for about the last 6 years.

Archived