Y&R: David Tom Fired! Replacement Announced...

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Economically and otherwise, daytime is ENTIRELY different than it was in Bill Bell's days, and there's no way to know if he would have had a more stable cast. It's nice to remember Bill Bell, but throwing up his name every damn time the show goes bad or a casting change happens is just too much.

Add me to the list of those who thing it's ridiculous to blame AH for David Tom's firing. If you don't like Heinle, fine -- just don't blame her for everything from DT to 9/11. She doesn't have that kind of power.

And no, Y&R shouldn't have to write for David Tom if they have planned story and he isn't working. Just because he's not leading man material they have to throw away future story and start over for him??? Uh...no.

I also disagree with those of you who think DT has chemistry with MCE. I just don't see it. I think he works well with Jess Walton, and that's it. He's trying his best, but it always comes across as petulant and sniveling. He's just not leading man material, and I have no problem with a recast.

• Members

Perhaps. OTOH, scores of people who worked with the man could attest to the kind of influence he wielded on his shows. No one would have made a move, including firing an actor, unless he said so. With some exceptions, he operated independent of viewers' thoughts and feelings; and either you were on-board with his decision, or you weren't (and in which case, there's the door).

• Members

Aren't those in charge STILL operating independently of viewers thoughts and feelings. Yeah, they say they use focus groups. I just feel like that is all smoke and mirrors. It gives an excuse/justification to do what they want to do.

• Members

Yes. Bill Bell liked having a stable cast, but whomever is in charge now obviously does not see that as a priority. I simply can't believe that we are about to have a new Phyllis, Billy and Adam, all in a matter of weeks. Add that to all the relatively new characters and all I see is chaos, but hey, that's just my take on it.

• Members

Exactly, and Jess Walton and David Tom had the most sublime chemistry as mother and son, the only pair eclipsing them being Lauren Koslow and Bryan Dattilo on DAYS, though they've had 18 years to perfect that mother/son on screen bond.

So long David Tom, I won't forget the first and the best Billy Abbott, Jill Abbott's Billy.

• Members

You're right - my thinking that they fired David Tom because they didn't think he clicked in the Billy/Victoria pairing and that they were too wedded to that and Billy Miller's interpretation of the role is much more callow than thinking he was fired for using drugs.

• Members

If DT was fired because he didn't fit the BM version of Billy, that sure as hell doesn't bode well for Cady McClain. She has done a 180 with that character. I much preferred DT as Billy than CM as Kelly.

Archived