Y&R: David Tom Fired! Replacement Announced...

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I admit DT hadn't gelled as well as I thought but I'm still shocked. It's only been a few months. I figured they would just divorce Billy and Victoria and put him with someone else... why are they forcing this triangle? Stitch is wasted on Victoria too. Seems like they've forgotten who's the real vet (DT).

• Members

Talk about impossible tasks. Even BM can't play BM all that well.

Actually, I think undoing Jill's paternity and maternity was right up there. But you are absolutely right about what it did and did not do for Y&R.

• Members

The strange thing is that I found BM and DT to be quite similar. I see people saying DT wasn't manly enough, but BM also seemed quite young to me. Neither of them really struck me as the standard leading man. The recast does look like more of a typical Y&R leading man and I'm fine with that. I don't think he's any thing like BM either in terms of looks.

• Members

As I have said in the past, I think Sean Carrigan is all wrong for Y&R. If he were on GH, he would fit much better with the rest of the show and there would be no arguments from me. And I'm not saying SC isn't handsome, or even sexy, but Y&R actors have tended (in years past, at least) to be a bit more polished, for lack of a better word, or "old Hollywood" attractive. Nevertheless, the writers are being so blatant in their attempts to make Stitch look bad in order to make Billy/Victoria look good, it pisses me off, to tell you the truth, and makes me root for Stitch in spite of myself. I might not be so crazy about the guy on this show, but I know others are, so I think it's shameful how they see no value to him beyond being the short-term, potentially unredeemable spoiler to their so-called "money couple."

• Members

Exactly, Julia. Neither DT nor BM are what you might call "quintessential, romantic leading men." To me, though, DT had the edge, b/c at least he could believably play someone tortured emotionally by his own, self-destructive tendencies. All BM ever communicated on-screen was remorse for drinking so much the night before.

• Members

He was doing a fine job, and I agree that his firing was unnecessary. DT does tend to play into a tortured quality, as evidenced by his acting and vocal choices, even in some of the simplest of circumstances that don't call for such. I watch the show a couple of nights a week and even I found this a little exhausting/annoying, so I can see how his reinterpretation of the role may not be everyone's cup of tea. Evidently, it wasn't JFP's, a woman who does not strike me as the least bit sentimental over a returned Tom. At any rate, I still don't think he needed to be replaced.

• Members

Neither do I, SFK. I think Y&R (and Billy/Victoria fans) needed to accept that Billy and Victoria were "done" and allow Billy to rebuild his life and, in time, find love with someone new.

• Members

If this is the true catalyst for him getting fired from this show, we will probably never learn the truth.

Until 10 or 20 years from now when he gives an interview about his addictions and what they did to him. Ya gotta admit, though ... being back in Hollywood ... making big $$$ ... being around others that probably use on a daily basis, may have been too big of a temptation for him.

• Members

And if that is, indeed, what happened to the guy, then I would only hope this firing would be the impetus he needs to get sober again and maybe think about a less toxic profession.

• Members

I had a feeling he would be replaced once it appeared like he wasn't clicking with Victoria. In the old days, the writers and producers would have shifted gears and broken him away from Victoria toward the character/actress he had chemistry with (Chelsea). Given the history between Chelsea/Billy, there would have been interesting avenues to explore plus with the bad blood between Billy and Adam.. the story wrote itself.

When the head writers were interviewed, didn't they keep mentioning Billy and Victoria? I thought it was telling when the interviewer mentioned how much he enjoyed David Tom and Melissa Egan in scenes together and wondered if more would happen. When the head writers gave some PC answer, I knew that they probably saw the same thing but are instructed to pimp up Billy and Victoria. Shame..

• Members

I read an article somewhere that JFP reached out to BM or MM to return, and I was disgusted. The replacement of DT is just another example of JFP's fickle *ss nature. DT was just taking back the role and making Billy a valid [not hamhock] character. He was starting to make Billy a layered character like he used to be, Billy Miller turned him into a smirky, smarmy jackhole. The only reason he's being thrown under the bus is their need to make Billy and Victoria work. I liked Heinle on Loving, saw no purpose for her on AMC. Her Victoria is one of the least entertaining characters on Y&R. Billy was starting to be the most "Billy" he's been in years. I know that "some" people believe her Victoria is Emmy worthy, but then, "BROADWAY STAR KELLY SULLIVAN" is nominated, too. The writing on the show is the other problem. Many of these characters have been around for years, yet the writers do not know how to write them as they have been over the years. At any rate, Bactoria should not be endgame, especially since she's so much older than Billy. I don't even want to ask what the Hell is going on with her hair. Today's was just horrible.

• Members

I seriously doubt DT's firing had anything to do with any personal problems. It seems obvious it was about their insecurity re: his portrayal and youthful appearance, their preference for story with Billy and Victoria, and the shadow of Billy Miller.

Even his OLTL run, which was dogged with similar rumors (which I heard were accurate at the time), was finite - Paul Cramer as a character was never going to last long. But I have no reason to believe David Tom is in the same condition he was back then; he certainly looks a lot better.

Archived