Y&R: TMZ reporting on Michael Muhney

• Members

That's not an interesting take, John. That's more bullshit apologia.

The whole thing boils down to "PLEEEAASSSEEE, PLEEEASSSEE stop talking about Michael Muhney being fired for groping a young woman! We can't take it and it hurts our hearts!"

Just say it. He was fired for groping a young woman. That fact - the firing, and the cause - is not in dispute, even from his own people.

Tough [!@#$%^&*]. Idiots like whoever wrote that don't get to spend all their time on social media cosplaying Real Housewives and acting like they looove "spilling tea" until it's about their favorite. It happened. It's here. Live with it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If an actor is a pedophile, I'm sorry they should be stopped and that's that. By protecting an actor who does that you are basically aiding in that behavior, which is utterly sickening. Soaps have kids on set. Look at what happened with Penn State and the Catholic Church.

I don't usually like real life couples being on screen couples (Bill and Susan aka Doug and Julie on Days) are one of my only exceptions. That being said I like to know, I know some actors are decent (albeit insane in their own way), while others are jerks.... Except in very rare cases (see actors who commit heinous crimes) I can separate the performer from the character.

Honestly when it comes to the issue with actors getting older, if the actor has a memory problem and is willing to come forward I have no qualm about it. Really that's no reason to treat anyone with scorn, and if the person cannot work anymore, handle the situation humanely.

• Members

I agree, while I also agree with Chit, i.e., escapism, et cetera. What I take issue with is CH's implication that soap stars are somehow different from entertainers of any other medium. No one bitches and moans and cries disillusion when film or primetime actors or pop musicians get their [!@#$%^&*] put out on Front Street. No one but their stans, that is. People eat that crap up, tabloid journalism has survived and thrived for decades. She's fed into it herself with her (sing-songy) "I know something youuuu don't!" blind items. So it seems very disingenuous to preach ignorance is bliss when it comes to soap stars. As twisted as it sounds, the soap world should be so lucky that this unfortunate event has gotten the coverage that it has.

• Members

That's not the same at all. GR talking about his love for his partner and one day being allowed to get married is not equivalent to BTS drama or an actor picking up boys in a bathroom. GR has nothing to be ashamed of and that is the same as hearing about a heterosexual actor talking about his/her spouse and their new adventure. For me, BTS drama (who wants to work with whom, someone does not like someone else, etc) ruins onscreen drama for me. I don't wish to know about it, but that is not saying that a criminal act should be kept under wraps. That is not what I'm saying at all.

• Members

That article is interesting only because the writer is such an out-and-out hypocrite -- claiming she's impartial while clearly supporting Muhney every step of the way.

She wants cast members to shut up -- to stop supporting HK, to say nothing negative about MM -- but apparently has no problem running her own mouth or with fans who are nuts. She thinks freedom of speech is for people who agree with her.

Of course, she has to trash JFP and the show itself. She trashes the actors, too, saying that if they had something to do they wouldn't be on Twitter.

WTF.

• Members

For me there are certain things that I think shouldn't be reported. Those are mainly limited to things like medical issues: illness, treatment for addiction (unless the actor wants to be open about it), Alzheimer's (although that can be touchy because fans get angry when vets fade to the background) or anything to do with their families ESPECIALLY their kids (again unless the actor puts it out there). Those are my standards for everyone in the business, soap, primetime, film, whatever. I believe in certain boundaries. Those are the only situations where knowledge of real life affects my ability to watch what happens onscreen. For example, having an actress who had a miscarriage play a pregnancy story or having a pregnant actress play losing a baby, those are things I just can't watch. That's on me though, not the show.

But the rest of this stuff, this ridiculous handwringing of Hinsey's, is just a throwback to the old management system that brought us such human resources successes as Judy Garland and Elvis. Preserving the illusion at the expense of real people doesn't help anyone. Of course none of this addresses how the internet has given the craziest fringe fans a microphone turned up to blast.

• Members

It's not the same for those of us who think progressively, but it IS a big deal for many. Granted, it's getting better all the time, but we ain't completely there yet! Hell, even back in the 60's, Davy Jones had to hide his marriage so he wouldn't appear "unavailable" to screaming teenage girls. All this seems to revolve around patronizing overwrought female fans, it's completely ridiculous.

• Members

The thing is that Hinsey has never been consistent about it. She used to love hitting her word limit in her old columns bragging about what she knew that the fans supposedly didn't - the age of the Internet changed that, of course, making her even more useless - as well as trying to intimate a close personal relationship with the hunks who clearly could barely stand the sight of her. I needn't mention the legendary thread at Jossip about her overall behavior, either.

Then, while still trying to maintain her wholly manufactured reputation as a rough and ready "straight talker" who doesn't stand for the corporate party line, she would regularly come out with pieces like this, encouraging fans to not worry their pretty heads over criticizing network or BTS decisions, or thinking about what happens backstage - while all the while getting high on her "juicy" backstage gossip. Is this 1945? Is she trying to be Hedda Hopper?

Hinsey has only ever been consistent in her inconsistency. And I won't even get started on her getting caught looking every bit her age when she huffed about OLTL 2.0 daring to show drugs and sex. Carolyn Hinsey is a myth writ large entirely in her own mind. She's a shill that subsists on a cheery denial of the contempt that people feel for the way she operates, and who relies on the presumption that everyone else out there is a cloistered idiot who only processes the world of daytime through her outdated magazine columns. I could handle the forced "attitude" from a woman old enough to be my grandmother. What I can't abide is the relentless, gushing condescension and happy talk in the face of the social media age, when everyone knows better. Except Carolyn Hinsey.

• Members

Not entirely true. When a male actor comes out as gay, I think it does effect how he is viewed by the female contingent of fans. I have seen more than a few complaints about gay actors being in heterosexual on screen relationships and how "it ruins the fantasy". Sad, but it happens.

Archived