Y&R: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish the show had included clips of John McCook on Y&R, because I can see it being confusing for newer viewers who only know him from B&B. I've never understood why Y&R uses him, but doesn't use him as his original character. Jaime Lyn Bauer mentioned she was asked back to film a week this past January and it would've made sense to have the two in scenes together, instead he's featured as Eric.

Overall I found this tribute to be very touching. It finally made it real for me. Previously I'd have a memory of Katherine or something would remind me of her, but I'd shut it off. This allowed me to laugh and cry and be thankful for all the years we had with her. It's so odd seeing how touched I am by this, but Y&R has been a part of my life since before I even knew what a soap opera was. I watched Y&R and B&B for years before I knew that term. I just knew these people were in my life every day for over 20 years.

I look forward to seeing how they try and write Katherine off. I hope it's an epic celebration, similar to how DAYS wrote Alice off. I like that it happened over several months which gave so many characters the chance to return and actually be used properly to memorialize that character. I don't want a short celebration with cameos, she deserves to have a lasting impact.

• Members

I don't know if Lorie or Lance had any strong ties to Katherine. I guess Eric didn't either, but he was one of the "faces" of B&B, as Jeanne was with Y&R. I see it as similar to when royals stop in to mourn the losses of another royal family.

• Members

I caught up with this show (given the time difference where I am, I have to wait til the next morning -- if I'm lucky) and thought it was just perfect. I have been hard on JFP's EP skills, especially since she joined Y&R, but she produced the best tribute I have ever seen in Daytime. It was heartfelt, funny, sad, had real meaning and heart. I love the interspersed clips of her talking along with everybody else's reminiscences. Josh Morrow was funny, CLB and Jess Walton broke my heart. Jess Walton bookending the tribute and talking directly to the audience was SO right on the money.

Bravo, Y&R. Bravo Jeanne.

• Members

Overall I thought this was a classy tribute, one that tried to show the various sides of Jeanne's life and personality without seeming overly forced. I was happy they included some people who had been with Y&R for ages but weren't known as being a part of Katherine's inner circle, like Traci. I liked that they brought Michael Fairman back (is Murphy even around now?).

Including her kids was something the show didn't "need" to do, and their doing so speaks volumes about their respect for Jeanne.

I loved the montage of gorgeous publicity photos of Jeanne in her starlet days. I hadn't seen a few of those, and the moment was done with skill and affection.

I'd seen the Lauren/Katherine meeting on Youtube just last month so seeing it here made me do a double take. I had never seen that clip with Victor. Eric Braeden - what can you say. For all his bluster about Y&R he clearly does carry a lot of love for the history and integrity of the show.

Very happy to see Heather Tom, and she did fit in seamlessly.

I wish Julianna McCarthy had been there.

Opening and closing with Jess Walton was such a perfect choice, so obvious and right; it's sad just how much I was surprised that she had that role. My heart really went out to her, as that was probably the toughest thing she's ever done in her career.

• Members

ITA that this tribute was a perfect 10. I'm glad they put in the "starlet" photos rather than clips, because most of us had never seen those. The stories and emotions were heartfelt and sincere. Hands down to MS's story "everybody hates you!" That pretty much summed up JC. What a wonderful woman.

• Members

It was a deeply affecting tribute, I thought. It must've tugged at Jess to get through the introduction and the ending but she handled it like a true professional.

Jerry Douglas and Eric Braeden seemed as if the sentiment was truly getting to them and perhaps they didn't want to say as much.

It was so good to see Heather Tom there, what memories of the fire and icy Victoria!

I wonder where Donnelly Rhoades is these days? I wasn't born when he was on the show but I've seen clips on You Tube.

It would've been nice if he and Julianna McCarthy could've been there but I don't know what their states of health are or whether that would've been possible. Julianna McCarthy in particular would've been especially nice since she is a link to the show's beginnings and Brenda Dickson is likely persona non grata at Y&R now.

Archived