Y&R: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'll echo you both, Jess Walton was the right, obvious and only choice for leading this tribute to Jeanne and it saddens me that I was surprised she had so much prominence. It was sad that it took JFP to be the one to GET IT, after so many EP's had failed to do so and to give Jess, Jill Abbott and the fans the respect they deserve.

As others have said, whatever comes of JFP's tenure at Y&R, she did an amazing tribute.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The odd thing is I sort of understand why JFP of all people would get that. Jess was the person who worked with her most consistently for the longest time of the current cast, so it made perfect sense. That said due to what happened before the skepticism is understandable as you can be burned so many times you end up not expecting anything in fear that it won't happen.

• Members

I thought the tribute was nicely done. I wish we could've had 2 hours. I would have liked to have seen more actors on and more stories about their time with her. It was great seeing Heather Tom, the real Victoria and Beau Kazier(Brock). I loved the opening credits and the opening and ending with Jess Walton.

• Members

I forgot to say yesterday I was very pleased they used a variety of opening credit shots of Jeanne - it's been said before, but to me the scene of Rex putting the necklace on her epitomizes Y&R.

• Members

Lauren and Jill need to interact more. I know people hate that they were made sisters, but these two powerhouse women are going to need to lean on each other now and over the next few months.

Traci involved with those two makes it even better. She has history/ties with both.

• Members

Not only that but by making Jill a Fenmore, it has weakened Jill's once very strong identity.

As much as I've loved and enjoyed the Lauren character over the years, Lauren was initially the stereotypical spoiled Daddy's littlle rich girl who acted out. Textbook case.

Jill, on the other hand, was a far more complex character. From a working class, background that was mostly headed by a single Mother, Jill, was not a Daddy's girl but a striver who used whatever means she had available to survive and climb up the ladder financially and socially. It played into her motivations, strengths and weaknesses. This was all traded for a storyline that was a 'fix' for another botched story but in reality, a story that had no legs, provided no rich material down the line and provided a temporary spark for two characters who were being wasted at the time.

In the end, not only did this story not provide many possibilities for other stories to be told but it really has been a negligible force for the Jill character.

I hope they can make lemonade out of lemons but I don't really see any stories for them unless it involves a clash over Fenmore's somehow. It might have been different had they interacted in years past but I don't remember them doing so.

Archived