Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hmmm, hell must have frozen over because I enjoyed episode 5. There were a lot of shorter scenes, which definitely helped, and some genuine emotion came out of some stuff, especially between Hanna and Katherine. TS continues to do her best in the part of Candace.

Still, repetitive dialogue was around, as always, and that part with the devil baby trying to kill its mother had me cringing. And all the preaching about prayer, etc. Ugh.

Interesting that they are pulling Veronica into Candace's orbit. A good thing, I think, storywise, but a bad thing because of the actress.

• Members

Everyone on the show other than Tika, John Schneider and Crystal Fox is distractingly bad.

And the long silent film pauses for the endless reaction shots don't help them either.

Oh, and poor Peter Parros, but they have him doing a Colonel Sanders accent.

Aside from everything else terrible about it, my biggest problem with the show is: Candace is actually the Erica Kane or Rachel Davis, the heart of the only good part of the story, not pure evil but something much more raw and complex, but in the world of Tyler Perry this character is ultimately nothing more than a whore who doesn't know her place with a man and with God. That's how that story for that kind of character always ends with Perry - total submission or destruction.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't see Candace as just a villain, she is portrayed much more vulnerable in scenes with Benny and once the writers get further into her being a mother, I think more redeeming qualities will show. If you look at the primetime soap villains of the past, most of them were nasty most of the time and only had one or two, maybe three other characters that they showed a softer side with (JR, Alexis and Abby were all like this, Abby being the tamest of the three).