Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Members

I don't disagree---I've seen cardboard boxes with more personality than the Cryers. But TPTB having giving us no reason to root for Candace outside of the Cryers either. She's treated her mother like dirt, she's apparently abandoned her young son, and until the last fifteen minutes last night, I wasn't sure she'd ever had any intention of paying back the mortgage and not leaving her brother holding the bag.

I'd like to think Perry simply bit off more than he could chew deciding he had to introduce his cast and their oversized personalities all at once, instead of say, concentrating on Hannah's entry into this "rarefied air"/new world and meet the Cryers more slowly. But from the little I've seen of Perry, it seems like he cannibalized some previous works, sticking the plot from "The Family That Preys" with an urban comedy cast. But I'm leaning more toward seeing Perry as a black Hogan Sheffer---the man who never met an original idea and couldn't stand genuine human emotion instead treating every moment like an absurd dark comedy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I figure TP will eventually get around to the mother/child thing. That should be some sort of reveal, which is why I think Candace coming off poorly is resting on how poorly The Cryers are written. We know she loves her brother and wants to be an attorney. She also looks out for Amanda. However, The Cryers don't seem to be a match for her. They are weak and uninteresting in reality. On paper, I'm sure Tyler thought he was writing The Carringtons.

• Members

Wow, the Perry tropes are in full force. Candace with her demon child since being in the womb, Hannah trying to explain to her son about how evil she is, but Benny is so dumb, but caring (which makes him a "strong black man") he can't actually tell Hannah how she played some part in her daughter's wickedness (which probably will explained, and I shudder to think how.) And it goes...

• Members

Wow. To paraphrase my status update, this show has the cutting, pacing, and story and character tempo of a silent film, with the camerawork of a dolphin. The PP soaps's very minor issues look incredibly slick by comparison.

Tyler Perry's work always looks, sounds and feels like it's being produced by space aliens from the planet Puritan in the Misogyny galaxy, but this is a whole new level of ineptitude.

The good news is Tika Sumpter has proven she is a star, a black Erica Kane, and the mom, while playing a stock Tyler Perry stereotype dating back to old Hollywood, is pretty solid at what the role calls for. They both are old school Nixon archetypes, people who deserve to be on any other better soap, anywhere else. It kind of makes me wish Tika would return to NuOLTL as Layla, but I know that she's destined for bigger, better things in film and TV.

The rest are mostly a mess. Poor Peter Parros, too. And I can't believe someone else actually hired Pilar Lopez-Fitzgerald.

Edited by Vee

• Members

They need to stop giving Veronica and bootleg Sally solo scenes together. The dialogue and pauses between them is torture

Eagerly awaiting for the episode where Candace is murdered!

Loved the Hannah and Bootleg Sally cancer scene. That was actually well done

I was surprised Veronica had the PI take the pictures. I thought Candace had someone take them for her

• Members
i can't stand her and she infuriates me to no end. I love bad girls and bitches but there is absolutely nothing remotely likeable about her. She is just a miserable skank with no redeeming qualities. Unfortunately it just so happens that she's played by the best actor in a disappointing lot and I understand that the show would fall apart without her but that's TPTB fault for screwing up with the casting, writing and not creating compelling characters. Hopefully they can develop one to take her spot

• Members

She could be given more depth, it's only episode 4. I think it'd be a waste of time and a waste of a talented actor to write her off.

I'm just glad that a soap has a horrible character and we're MEANT to see them as a horrible person as well. Not a Victor Newman or Todd Manning where they're repugnant but presented as the hero. Candace is the lead but without question a horrific person.

• Members

I agree about axing any solo scenes with Veronica and Bootleg Sally. ...we gotta come up with a clever nickname for V, I find her to be the most irritating, weak actress of the bunch. At least the daughter is funny to watch. V is just tragically stiff and unnatural.