NBC poised to fire Ann Curry from the Today show

dragonflies

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they are too much into the "infotainment" angle. GMA, a show I don't watch, admittedly, seems to have some likeable people who sort of pass off as being in the news, like Robin Roberts and Josh Elliot. Seacrest is more like the dregs of Billy Bush.

• Members

It's perky Katie! Seeming very frosty there. I think she played up the cutesiness when the men were around.

Here's when Jane Pauley announced her departure. A reminder of just how much [!@#$%^&*] Deborah Norville faced. Savannah Guthrie is very lucky in comparison, although NBC seems to be determined to make her hated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1P00rz3M0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZygRLBCSI&feature=channel&list=UL

• Members

Aside from the "fact" that she "stole" Jane Pauley's job, what were the main criticisms of Deborah Norville? I never thought she did bad work.

I really think that he was a nice guy once upon a time, before he got all egotistical and arrogant.

What I don't understand (even though I am not the biggest fan of hers) is why Natalie Morales was snubbed. She was at Today far longer than Savannah Guthrie.

• Members

Meanwhile, I'm over at "CBS This Morning." Yes, they have Gayle King; and yes, they're still getting their teeth and everything else handed to them in the ratings; but the emphasis on news over "infotainment" is something I never take for granted.

• Members

That is a great insight.

Even though both were totally screwed over by NBC, it is interesting to study the contrasts between how Conan and Ann publicly handled the situation. In Conan's case, he made a big spectacle of it (especially with his "People of the Earth" letter), whereas Ann handled the matter in as classy a way as possible. (I thought that Conan's fans also acted over-the-top, as if he was God's gift to comedy.) Personally, I became a new fan of Curry (as I never before cared for her), whereas I have absolutely no interest in watching O'Brien.

Archived