NBC poised to fire Ann Curry from the Today show

dragonflies

• Members

The plummeting ratings is bringing the day ever so close when NBC is going to be forced to stop blaming the women anchors and other cast and take a hard long look at Lauer's failure. He is a major part of why the show is struggling along with the crappy content.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

and NBC wonders why it's lagging behind GMA *smdh*

http://tvline.com/20...r-911-coverage/

NBC News is standing by Today‘s decision to forego coverage of Tuesday morning’s 9/11-related moment of silence and instead cut to an in-studio interview with Kardashian clan matriarch Kris Jenner. “The Today show dedicated a considerable amount of time to September 11th coverage this morning throughout the entire show,” a spokesperson for NBC News said in a statement to the New York Daily News. Today in fact featured a prolonged segment pegged to the 11th anniversary of the terror attacks that felled the Twin Towers and targeted the Pentagon. But as rivals Good Morning America – which as of late has been trumping Today in the ratings — and CBS This Morning covered the moment of silence that marked the first hijacked plane’s strike of the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City, Today teed up Savannah Guthrie’s interview of Jenner, who was on hand to stump for Keeping Up With the Kardashians (which it so happens airs on NBC’s corporate cousin, E! Television). In the New York City area, at least, local affiliate WNBC-4 opted not to run the Jenner piece but instead continue coverage of the 9/11 remembrance.

• Members

It's obvious the producers are the main problem with this show. I honestly think for her shortcomings, Ann Curry had a lot more to offer than Matt Lauer does on that front. They should've gone with Hoda Kotb or Lester Holt in the second co-host chair with ANN sticking around. Then you can consider moving Star Jones or Tamron Hall to work with Kathie Lee. Probably Tamron, who I feel has potential to be a co-host one day.

Beyond that, they also need to replace the producers and COMPLETELY retool the show. GMA is a lot of fun, same for CBS This Morning, but they have the perfect balance of talent, stories and everything is well placed within the show. Today seems like 4 hours of mostly fluff, with very little substance and the on-air talent is poorly distributed.

• Members

I rarely see the first 2 hours of Today anymore, but you're so correct that the 2nd half is pure fluff. I still prefer Today and their atmosphere over GMA, but there's just something insincere about Savannah Guthrie. It's like she's incapable of holding a serious, in-depth conversation without looking like she's smirking or really thinking about how she looks onscreen instead of what the other person is saying. I'm sure she really is intelligent, but she just doesn't come across as being so.

• Members

Chad lol

I don't feel sorry for Lauer. Didn't he just get a spanking new contract worth 25 million a year and promised a new daytime show?

If any of this is true, it shows why NBC is in the gutter. Why is Lauer involved in "fixing" the show. He's sadly at this point part of the issue and I highly doubt someone so close to the show is going to be open to what really needs to happen which is retooling. Today just seems very caustic now and I think Carl hit it, it's ridden with insincerity and while I'm not a huge Ann Curry fan, I think sincerity was something she had in her favor. Bringing in a new cast of characters to surround Matt Lauer with is not going to repair what's truly wrong with this show. Watch GMA and they are light, fun, have great chem, and you can actually sense they all care about Robin Roberts and her story. And if they don't they are good actors on camera. CBS has upped their game and has a different tone, but is also better to watch.

Archived