NBC poised to fire Ann Curry from the Today show

dragonflies

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Savannah is a phony, but I have a sinking feeling that NBC's advertising campaign to turn her into America's Sweetheart will be a smashing success, just like it was with Katie Couric.

• Members

I think she will probably be accepted, but then it's their own fault the Curry exit got so much backlash in the first place. They have had awful PR for years and years. Who does their PR?

Katie Couric was generally likeable back then, with Bryant Gumbel anyway. Matt Lauer is NO Bryan Gumbel.

• Members

I watched The Viewmthis morning and Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer were on. Sheri asked them what they thought about Ann Currys departure on the Today show and they both kind of tip toed around it but it came across like they thought is it was a clusterfeck. Josh complemented Ann on being one of the finest journalists on TV today and then Lara went on to rave about the EP of GMA and his running of that show.

Today will likely be fine but as far as regaining ground, they have been losing audience to GMA and other networks for the past 3 years. Putting in Savannah Gutherie is not going to get those viewers back. The show needs a major refresh.

• Members

I don't disagree with them firing Ann, but the way they did it will cost them and I think Savannah is the worst choice for a replacement. Very bland choice. Tamron Hall, Hoda Kotb (the ideal choice), Star Jones and many others should've been tested out before they made it official. They shouldn't have rushed into a replacement knowing how people feel about Ann.

• Members

I liked Bryant and Katie back in the day, but I always felt that he was too good for a tv morning show. He was obviously a serious journalist surrounded by dilettantes. He could barely hide his disdain as the show started to do lighter and more entertainment stories. He made his reputation on the show, but his work on Real Sports has been far more meaningful.

• Members

Back in the day he had a fairly horrible rep as being difficult and arrogant and frankly some of that came across on screen. Couric worked with him well because she seemed to offset that. I do agree he had a more serious rep and I think he actually worked better at CBS's morning show.

Archived