YRBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This guy does great videos on important moments/artists/songs in rock history. He highlighted 'Like To Tell' a few weeks back, and interviewed Madonna's frequent collaborator in the 80's/90's, Patrick Leonard. Lots of nice history and detail behind the song (and some on the fan-favorite 'Oh Father'). 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

30 years ago today ‘Justify My Love’ hit #1 on the Hot 100, becoming Madonna’s 9th chart topper. Yes, there was the controversy over MTV banning the video, but the power of Madonna at this time cannot be underestimated.

She took a very unfriendly to radio song where she’s talking for most of it and made it #1 hit.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Unless there is a preemption, next week's Vintage SNL (Saturday, 10 PM Eastern) will be Harvey Keitel/Madonna from early 1993. They usually only show one musical performance but it may end up being higher quality than most of the footage around. 

Madonna is also in the cold open for that episode, which was controversial at the time (Hillary Clinton supposedly wrote a letter to NBC because the sketch involved someone playing her daughter, Chelsea).

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Last night in Colombia. Yikes.

I really thought Madge was smarter than to end up where she has in the last decade or so. I personally don't think any album after her amazing comeback with Ray of Light measured up to it. IMO they became more and more transparent ploys to meet the moment in front of her vs. making one, and got worse and worse (with the exception of Confessions, which was a rather blatant ploy for the gays to save her sales) until they were completely forgettable. Then came her drugged-out, plastic-faced Tiktok era we're in now.

• Members

I'd forgotten all about this, from only 10 years ago. I don't think she's made a single good album since the 2000s (Confessions is far from perfect, and Music is a handful of good songs and a lot of obnoxious acoustic/country [!@#$%^&*]; the others beyond Ray of Light are totally forgettable) but she could at least still perform well and put on a show here, especially on Vogue. In some of the choreography for this you wince and can see some of the physical problems that have contributing to wrecking her since.