B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

So I just made it to episode 2100, and the year 1995 has been exactly the way I remembered it. It kept the momentum up until the point where Sheila and Anthony got written out (and I thoroughly enjoyed watching both of them go off the rails), but then it dropped DEAD. There is literally nothing going on. The major conflict is the poorly built triangle between Jessica, Dylan and Maggie (with Maggie supposedly being more in love than ever before in her life after knowing a guy for a few weeks). The rest is basically things wrapping up (Thorne/Macy planning a wedding, Sally/Jasmine getting out of the hospital, Taylor divorcing Ridge and moving into the beach house while Ridge and Brooke are happy together) or very very minor plot developments (Rick and CJ getting into a fight at baseball practice - oh, the drama!).

The first half of 1995 I really enjoyed watching because of the dark "twin storylines" of Sheila and Anthony. They felt like the final acts of two story arcs that had been developing for a long time - Sheila's past with Lauren in Genoa City finally catching up to her and driving her to take extreme action, and Anthony's obsession with Macy (which was there from his first episode) finally coming to a head in a storyline that (cleverly) was built almost entirely on twisted fragments of Thorne's, Macy's, and Anthony's character histories. There was a sense of long term storytelling, structure, and payoff to those two storylines.

Taylor's return from the dead, however, had well and truly lost its momentum by 1995. It had been dragged on for too long and at this point her disguises and phony accents were ridiculous rather than intriguing. And her revelation to Ridge - the culmination of 10 months of storyline - fell flat.

And since Jessica was such a lackluster character, putting more focus on her by setting up a triangle with her and her mother was a mistake in my opinion. Especially since Dylan is a far more dynamic character when he's away from Jessica (he even has more chemistry with Sally).

The fall of 1995 is the first time I feel like the show could have ended and I would be okay with that.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The theme music was slightly updated from episode 2053 (June 1995). This being the episode where Sheila “dies”after taking the Forrester’s hostage and drinks poison. The theme was still 33 seconds after the update. I believe the 42 second version debuted in December 1995 - not sure on exact date or episode number at this point. 

• Members

I hope they continue uploading to Summer 1995

I started with the earthquake storyline in 1994 on the YouTube downloads and I’m quite enjoying the show, not sure how popular the stories were but the James/Taylor/Ridge/Brooke and Anthony/Macy/Sally/Karen/Connor has definitely grabbed my attention, the production is stunning and of course the odd sexual psyches like the James/Taylor affair, Anthony turning to Sally when he can’t get Macy and Karen faking the pregnancy are a little odd, it’s interesting.

If this wasn’t so popular, I’ll blame my having not watched a soap in months or maybe years since I gave up on the new ones after they went full fledged Hallmark 

• Members

Was #1989 Maeve Quinlan's first episode as Megan or did she appear before that episode? In #1989, Megan and Mike find Ridge after the explosion in Brooke's lab.

Edit: Just noticed that Maeve Quinlan's character was called "Brenda" in the closing credits.

It's a bit strange that Katie and Donna are appearing randomly in Brooke's house in a couple of episodes in early 1995. I thought they didn't live in L.A. anymore at that point.

Edited by Huntress

• Members

I think soon the youtube channel will stop uploading. I just sense that after uploading 4 episodes a day... and now... only 1... It would take like YEEEARS to upload up to 2005... Which is where the episodes are available in youtube. They really ruined it for all. There are people that know me that have stopped watching because the youtube channel is uploading only one episode a day and its too slow. I dont share the vault because I dont want it to become too public and get flagged again. So... they really ruined it.

Edited by divinemotion

• Members

@slick jones and others with the skills to recognize familiar faces.

In #1865 Prince Omar throws a lavish party for his dear "Leila" (Taylor). This causes a huge influx of extras and day players to be seen. Is this by any chance Academy Award Nominee Shohreh Aghdashloo (which we all know best as Dina Araz, the mother of Behrooz on "24" with Kiefer Sutherland)!??? On B&B she is Greesa Abineer (and never to be seen again, I guess), the wife of Omar's treasurer.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

B&B hit a lull from when Bradley took over in 1993 until late 1994. All of Bradley's storylines culminated during the first half of 1995 then second half of 1995 the tanking started.

I will forever maintain that it was the huge rise of time slot rival Reilly's Days from 1993-1997 that shook up both Y&R and B&B.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

1990: My Lord, how fast is Brooke and Eric's romance moving! It's a harbinger of what will become a staple of B&B -- to its detriment -- but for now it works. It's trashy, it's fun, it's dramatic!! I'm here for the mess.

I love how he introduced Sally and Clarke. Again, really fast and randomly, but Bell makes it work.

Meanwhile, Thorne and Macy are building really nicely and slowly. I LOVED Trachta from the moment he showed up.

It should be about time for Caroline to get sick...

Edited by YRBB

• Members

The Ridge/Thorne/Caroline/Brooke quad got derailed because of the Thorne recast, Joanna Johnson early announced departure, and KKL real-life pregnancy. That's why Bill Bell had Ridge/Caroline marry and he then set up Thorne/Macy and Brooke/Eric.

Bill Bell dusted off Jill/Phillip/Katherine for Brooke/Eric/Stephanie, and Jill/Stuart/Liz for Brooke/Eric/Beth.