Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

I feel like the only person who was okay with the whole Quindsay story. I like that it sets up breaks in the trust between the gladiators. Quinn fired Olivia because she knows Liv is hiding something. Abby is in snark overload for the same reason. On the other side you have Huck is helping Liv keep them in the dark. The only swing vote seems to be Harrison. I just wonder what's going to happen now that Quindsay is free. Is she supposed to go back to work at OPA? Because that seems unworkable.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I think we'll see somebody leave OP&A this season. Whether they will stay gone, I doubt but I can see Abby quitting over having to work with Quinn or Harrison over the secrets. I do think that Harrison brings something special to the table. He's got a swagger to him that I love.However the actor needs to work on enunciating a bit more. The fast talking is tough enough to follow but somehow with Harrison I always end up turning on the caption.

I have yet to see what Abby brings other than a non-stop stream of bitching.

• Members

After listening and reading different things around the web, I have to agree with a theory. It's going to be Olivia Pope and some mysterious person and/or event at the center of this season. Quinn/Lindsay is just one part of the puzzle and she really has no idea as to what is going on. It's a COVER UP. And only Olivia and Huck know.

Still, there is a lot of questions.

Quinn was real quick to just wake up in DC and take all the I.D., money, passport and take off. She didn't question much.

I too feel like Abby and Harrison could be gone. But I think the office needs some flavor. Each episode is still going to have a storyline that deals with a scandal so Olivia is going to need her associates. But there is also the Quinn storyline. Quinn is involved in some sort of conspiracy that Olivia knows about. Now I am having trouble with the timeline. Looks like this happened two years ago. Maybe before the presidental race.

Still trying to figure out a lot. I hope we get some answers. I hope the secrets are juicy.

~Milo

• Members

I find the show entertaining but Olivia’s superior attitude is a bit of a turn off. I wish she would dial it down a notch. We get that she’s the Queen B however her always winning and coming out on top will get old real fast. I thought she could have shown a lot more humility to David considering she had in fact fixed the outcome and they both knew it, but she seemed kinda pissed that he had the nerve to be upset with her and call her on her BS. I agree that the other members on her team/ staff isn’t needed because she’s superwoman she could certainly do all of their jobs and hers without lifting a sweat but who would she have to remind that it’s her name on the door, per the first season? Even when she’s championing for the right reasons, while she’s doing it for the right reasons, she does it because she knows she can win – and that seems to be her bottom line. Being a winner and being in control. The only time she shows vulnerability is with Fitz and I love their connection. I love that it humanizes her and they need to show more of that. When she’s alone you suspect she’s thinking of him but the beats are too quick. The scene too quickly shifts to the drama of the moment and you can’t savor the longing, whereas with Fitz the beats are longer. You know he’s thinking of her and it just overshadows his scenes which are beautifully done.

And speaking of Fitz, I find him pathetic. He has no backbone and I wonder why Americans voted for him since everyone around him keeps telling him what to do and he acts like a wounded animal. When he finally takes a stand and let’s Cyrus knows he’s the president and if he invades Sudan it will be because he wants to it’s because he got a pep talk from Olivia. He was rather content to continue to be indecisive while Mellie backed him into a corner, and per Olivia’s plan... once again... he found a way out. He’s weak with no rooting value as an individual character.

Mellie is amazing and I hope Shonda doesn’t oversimplify her reasons in staying with him because of love. It is simply too cliché – and yet in Mellie’s case I believe it is. When she said she gave up everything for him and he was the one who changed and he actually apologized, I knew it to be the truth. I love her. She’s a great character and I find her very sympathetic even though she’s a raging bitch.

I really hope there’s a payoff with Quinn and her story because it’s boring.

• Members

There you go Money - I think that you have given us the answer to your own disappointment of Olivia Pope.

There is two sides to her (or maybe more).

She does comes off as bossy but it's clear that she is vulnerable. If she was superwoman, she should have walked out from the illicit affair with the President and never looked back. She pretends to be in control at all times but we the viewers already know better. Between this cover up with Quinn and the Fitz affair, I say that Olivia has digged herself into some holes that she herself has little control over.

Speaking of Fitz, I agree. I like the whole Liv/Fitz affair. But he needs to grow a spine and stand up straight. It was good when at the state dinner he told Liv over and over again that he loved her and then walked out of the room to meet up with her at their secret place. Something she said he could not do. There he showed that he was his own man. That was also bold to go to Olivia's apartment. But then he just falls apart. He lets the women in his life walk all over him. He's p------ whipped!!!!

Mellie is the one who really knows what she doing. She is not at all confused. She may not be able to control everything but she clearly knows the deal. Her husband is having an affair. Her husband doesn't love her. Her husband loves another woman. She gets that. She was doing her merry little thing until the whole Amanda Tanner scandal broke out and now they need her help. She got pregnant to save Fitz presidency.

~Milo

• Members

The thing about Olivia Pope is... shes messy. Her life is messy. Yes, she is basically a professional cleaner. She goes in and fixes and spins when a Scandal has or is about to break and no doubt she will be faced with her toughest job yet when her own Scandal with the POTUS and hers affair comes to light. Thats what makes this show so good. She knows better. She is better than this. Yet, shes doing it. Not because she is weak, not because she needs a man. Because she loves him, and he loves her. It is complex and compelling and Kerry Washington brings it every scene.

• Members

I was won over by Harrison's whole toe sucking speech in the episode with Mellie's literary campaign buddy. I liked that Stephen gave Olivia balance and clarity and Harrison seems level headed enough to be able to do the same.

Even though I like their romance, I'm not that keen on either Olivia or Fitz. I may have expressed this before but I have yet to see the greatness or promise in him that was highly touted on the campaign trail. He's like a puppet that requires the right puppet master to make him go and Cyrus and Olivia seemed to take turns at being the right master. Mellie doesn't stand a chance there but she can obviously manipulate situations to please herself. I like the character even though I don't root for her marriage.

Right now I'm on the fence about Olivia because what she is doing to Huck seems wrong considering he's state of mind seems fragile and she's more than willing to push him to the brink. Maybe that partnership will be used to reveal more about her.

I used to have to love the characters to love the romance but now I don't have to like the characters. I just have to like the love story and their ability to make it believable and I think that Tony Goldwyn and Kerry Washington accomplish that.

• Members

Good point. Olivia does love him and he is so in love with her. And this is a huge reason why I have liked the show. If it were not for this particular element, I would have been bored. There is defenitely a great cheminstry between the actors and their characters.

Aside from this, I sure hope Liv has not gotten herself into big trouble. Something that can send her to the Big House. I am nerveous about this now. David is mad as h---- and he is defenitely going to go looking. He is going to get to the bottom of things. Unless, Olivia and company can really hide their doings. Then again, was David able to solve the Amanda Tanner case? If he hasn't solve that one, it maybe years before he can get to what Liv is up too.

Every day my mind is twisted on this show and all the unanswered situations. It's crazy.

Can't wait till Thursday. Next episode is called, "The Other Woman".

~Milo

• Members

I don't think he's !@#$%^&*] whipped as much as he's a weak individual whom everyone tells what to do since Cyrus pretty much does the same thing. Fitz will blow steam for a hot minute over their manipulations but then brood in his chair as if he's the victim. I hate that about him. I hate that when he finally takes a stand it amounted to a puddle because not only did he got a pep talk from Olivia, Cyrus knew he did too. It just minimizes him even more. And speaking of Cyrus, I don't think he respects Fitz at all. He respects the honor and integrity that the position of presidency holds and believes Fitz is the best representation, whatever his reasons are.

I totally agree about Huck and it seems the end justifies the means for her as long as she gets the end result she wants, including the blind loyalty of her staff. I'm actaully glad their seems to be a bit of discord among them which should be explored since they should be questioning why the case was easily acquitted. Apparently to even question such a thing gets the ire of Olivia.These people are willing to break the law for her and it would be nice to know why they're so loyal, especially when Olivia shouts such diatribe as "I don't answer to you!" (to Quinn) or was it "I don't work for you! knowing full well she's orchestrated or is at least responsible for her new identity. That type of superiority I could do without it.

• Members

Olivia helped save them all in some way, though I am not sure that it's enough to merit any life long blind loyalty or devotion nor should she even want that if she helped them all for the right reasons. I think they should tone that down a bit and devote a little more time to revealing more about her team. I don't necessarily wish to see dissension but I would love to see some questioning of her actions rather than just compliance. I think there was a little of that last season when they cleaned up the reporter's place to save Quinn (who has a bad track record when it comes to boyfriends surviving).

I would also like to see Fitz have a work related moment where he takes control of a situation without having to be led. Surely some crisis management techniques have rubbed off.

• Members

I do not want to see some humble, modest, diplomatic everyone's opinions and views matter Olivia Pope. She is the boss, this is her company, and they all know that going in. She takes care of her team if anything goes wrong, and it doesnt look like much has gone wrong.

I think Fitz in the pres role is molded a bit after Bush (or the perception of him). He didnt want this as bad as the people around him did. He would be happy with never being the Pres. His heart isnt in this. Its also such a minor aspect of it.

I saw a great article, sorry no link, about how Olivia Pope is not a leading lady, she is the lead. Period. I really liked that.

• Members

IMO, this is the best episode of Scandal; good dialogue, writing, and story. I really like the balance between the intrigue and romance. First time that I have cared about the mystery behind Quinn's drama. I cared about Huck spiraling out of control. The Reverend with his secret mistress and child was a very good story. The only part I did not buy was the wife taking the mistress' hand and hugging her. I would bought it if she had taken the boy's hand.

Fitz and Olivia's romance remains intense and compelling. I loved their phone calls. My heart broke when he told her that he would do anything that she wants, she asked him to let her go, and he responded "anything, but that." The looks they exchanged at the funeral were so intense. It does not matter that Olivia did not pick up the phone when he called, she will go back to Fitz eventually. They are soooo addicted to each other. Really, Mellie has got no chance with Fitz whatsoever. He agrees to forgive her and immediately turns away from her. His body language screams "I want nothing to do with you, leave me alone"

Archived