Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

Hollis is played by a talented character actor so I figured early on that he is one of the big baddies in play. It was when he mentioned the fake genocide picture that Cyrus got even more suspicious about its authenticity. I can see Hollis somehow trying to blackmail Fitz into going to war.

Right, I had forgotten that she called him about his striped tie. I think he said that she had stopped returning his calls about three years ago. This would be about the time that she joined Fitz's campaign.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't all that impressed with the "Hunting Season" episode.

All that Thorngate, domestic espionage bored me. It went too fast and then it ended. I thought this was going to carry on into the next episode. And then at the end it just left a big hole. Or did it. I don't know. So Artie Hornbacher got caught at the end and was return to the NSA? Is he in jail now? What?

Everything is so rushed.

I liked the "Shoe Scene" of course. That was cute as many of you have already said.

"Treegate"........uh. It was hot. But it just didn't excite me. They should have left that scene out of the promos. This would have had a huge impact if it did. Had we been surpriced by it like the shoe scene, it would have been better.

What else.

Oh, Harrison was channeling the late Rick James, a punk funk singer. Years ago at an award show, the singer was upset that someone back stage didn't know who he was. When he came out to present an award, he commented on the situation then said, "I'm Rick James, B*****!!!"." The facial expression on Harrison when he said the line was funny.

Abby and David. No chemistry. Where did all that come from. I am sure that Abby is going to see right thru him if he has a plan to get info from her.

~Milo

• Members

All this time I thought that was just some Dave Chappelle skit. I don't think that could ever get old.

I don't know if David is supposed to have sensed her dislike of Quinn or if he just caught the whiff of desperation coming from her. Her feelings for Quinn might outweigh her common sense to some extent but then again, David no longer believes that Quinn is guilty and maybe Abby's curiosity will get the better of her.

• Members

Oh yes, Chappelle used to mimic Rick James and that event. Maybe Harrison was mimic Chappelle. HA! That was a funny line. When Harrison said that, I just remembered it all.

I understand David's motives but did he have to sleep with Abby.

I think Harrison and Quinn should hook up.........(a little)......without anyone else knowing about it.

Also, I am tired of the scandal of the week story. Why do we have to have that every week. There are enough loose ends. There is the whole Quinn thing, David trying to find out what happen to his trial, Olivia and Fitz and Mellie. Now Edison. Why do we need the scandal of the week. Maybe every other week.

~Milo

• Members

Really!

What did we learn about the Quinn storyline this week?

Nothing.

What does a Supreme Court Justice have to do with Quinn?

We found out nothing about that.

And now we got Edison talking about he wants to be a client.

I just think that there is just too much on the plate. I don't like to eat like that. I don't like to over stuff myself.smile.png

And remember they only have 13 episodes. They keep adding and adding more stuff.

~Milo

• Members

I guess I'm not looking for the same sort of development that you are so I saw the David angle as progression in that storyline. Quinn is somebody who was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time because whatever happened is bigger than she is and right now she just seems to be a victim that someone took care not to sacrifice.

• Members

I agree. But I want more answers. I don't like them leaving me hanging.

Hanging and confused.

What do I care about some Thorngate when there is still Quinn stuff to figure out.

And the Thorngate storyline just went too fast. The editing was........I don't know. I get dissy.

I keep hearing how folks have to watch and re-watch. I have to read recaps just to figure out what the H*** is going on.

I love the show but a couple of things have me ticked off.

That so called "Scandal Pace" is going to be their down turn.

I am not saying that they can't have "the scandal of the week". I am just saying that it doesn't have to be every week.

~Milo

• Members

I agree with Milo. I think that the procedural element is the weakness part of the show. The case of the week is generally uninteresting and mostly consists of cleaning up the mess of rich and privileged people which is unappealing to the average viewer.. I think that this is one of the main reasons that the show has struggled to build its audience. Who wants to the rich and powerful get away with a crime almost every week?

I prefer that the show be more serial, focusing on continuing stories from the previous week. For example, follow up on the Quinn mystery, the fallout of Olivia's involvement with Artie and its impact on her ex, and rev up Hollis' intrigue, this week instead of having a whole new case. Shonda talked about there being two main story arcs, in the event that ABC orders nine more episodes, but I think that there is already too much hanging over the show right now. She needs to play it out and tone down the procedural element.

• Members

And now I got two, three people telling me I gotta go listen to this online show (I don't know if I can mention it here) that recaps a whole lot more of each of the Scandal episodes. This gal is talking as if she writes the script with Shonda or can get into Shonda's head and know exactly what's going on. She fills in ALL the missing pieces.

I am like, "Listen. If it ain't on the page. In this case if it ain't on the screen then what good is it."

And in this day and age to confuse people. Look life is complicated enough.

I am not saying that I am not entertained some but....................SLOW IT DOWN!

This season, I see myself getting real excited for the upcoming episodes only to be let down.

I agree the show needs to be more serial with a bit of mystery.

~Milo

We just found out tonite, We're going to the World Series. Guess where I live!

• Members

I think that Olivia was more upset that Fitz number one lied to her about having a sexual encounter with Amanda. Then he sends her out to clean up HIS mess. Can you belive this!!!! I would have been pissed. I mean that was a huge slap on her face.

Okay, so they weren't together. But they were once lovers. Fitz was still in love with her. And now you call her in to clean up your mess with another. What kind of sh** is that? Fitz can be an A***hole!! as you've said and I agree.

I tell ya, there is a little bit of dog in all of them.raspberry.gif

~Milo

• Members

Nope, I think that it was clear that Olivia was mainly furious and jealous that he had a sexual encounter with Amanda, the lying and the cleaning up his mess was secondary. Her reaction in the Oval office and later she accused him on cheating on his mistress with his girlfriend made that pretty clear.

• Members

I can totally relate to this because I have come across so many super analytical theses on soap or show characters or episodes and it feels more like projection at times. It's almost habitual to take more than what it in front of one's eyes. We're in this society where even a football game is discussed as though it were some intellectual topic like that visual of philosophical discourse at French sidewalk cafes.

The dialogue is fast but you shouldn't have to rewind and watch it more than once to know what's going on.

I love romance and all but I still view Fitz/Olivia in a practical way in terms of how they're written and not how I might feel about them. I think they work but I don't have any sort of emotional connection or any feeling of being swept away but maybe that's where I am these days. I did love that line Fitz had in the flashback scene about being a coward though oddly I cannot quote it.

Maybe the scandal of the week is really just keeping me from nit picking at other flaws. So far I haven't seen it as just rich people being helped out of messy jams. In fact, I never even considered their financial status except the one with the rapist son who thought his mother could and should buy his way out of any problem he created.

Archived