Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

The Hair

Ann,

You are the first person that has ever said the same thing that I have always thought about Olivia's hair from the pilot. I was about to post something about it on here last week but I didn't want to come off as so anal.

"The Farrah Fawcett look." That's exactly what I call it.

That wig is too out dated.

I am surpriced that Shonda allowed it. I think that they are trying to go for an older look since Kerry looks younger than her age. And Tony is 51. But they could have done better. She looks so 80's. A straighter look would have been better. I have seen so many photos of Kerry with different hair styles that look so much more natural.

~Milo

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Money expressed the whole Fitz thing perfectly. As I said before, he seems to carry the burden of that relationship. I shouldn't have to figure out what she's thinking or feeling because there should be a point at which she either tells him or someone else why she does what she does. Everything with her is an assumption. It's an assumption (true or not) that she ended her relationship with Davis because she fell in love with Fitz. Wouldn't people who were once engaged and haven't spoken in three years reminisce or touch on what went wrong? All she's conceded is that they were good together. Well how did Davis pick up the pieces?

The whole Huck thing is disturbing if you think about it. Olivia totally dissociates herself from what he is, like when people know something but don't talk about it because not verbalizing it somehow means it isn't real and never has to be dealt with. I guess the addicts anonymous scenes cleverly shed light on Huck's activities but he's using that group to stand up and say how good he feels in falling which is the same as failing. I hope at some point that realism is injected because there has to be someone in charge or leading the group that shows concern over Huck's lack of progress. He shouldn't just be shown saying how much he loves whiskey and falls off the wagon with no ramifications. Maybe he's the one who blew those people up and there'll be some justification given like they were spies, traitors or dangerous in some way.

• Members

I love all that R&B music. All them oldies.

Yeah, I noticed the dark clothing. There was a white blouse. That's okay. They just don't need to put her in all white.

Okay, this is the hair I like.

Check out Oprah.

She was just on GMA.

Search: Oprah in frog slippers.

Now that's how Olivia should be wearing her hair.

~Milo

• Members

I liked this week's episode better than last week.

I am telling you all Mellie knows exactly what she is doing. She knows what she wants.

At least this episode tied in (a little) to some of things I want to know about: Quinn, Supreme Court Justice, Hollis.

But wait Mellie is in this secret club. What???

Didn't Mellie have to come with the secret service? Isn't anyone going to question why she went to see Hollis Doyle at his office?

What!!

Shut the door and do tell.

I liked the ending. But again, let's not make it too complicated.

See this is what I was saying last week. There is too much food on the plate. At least this week, I felt that the Quinn storyline moved a bit foward. But I agree, we shouldn't have to be shock every week and have piles and piles of questions. I bet that they are going to go on and on with this and it all is going to end badly. Oh well.......

~Milo

• Members

I saw Oprah on GMA. I do not like her big puffy hair either, but Oprah is her mid-fifties now so I not expect her hair to be stylish. At minimum, Shonda has got to get rid of the Farah Fawcett do. They can easily use multiple wigs with her hair straight or more stylishly curled. Olivia must be going to the salon every week, why does she not change her hair?

I am growing to dislike Olivia's wardrobe. Why is it so damn bland color-wise? Where are the blues, reds, purples, etc.? They do not have to be bold. They could be subtle. Olivia looks like she is afraid of color for some unknown reason.

I'll be back later to share the rest of my thoughts re: the show.

• Members

I actually think that the show does a good job showing Olivia's sadness in brief moments and it is clear that she is pining for Fitz.

Now this I totally agree with. While I liked Mellie and Olivia teaming up and Fitz's reaction, I don't like what it says about Olivia's willingness to toss Fitz's or our country's best interests aside for what she deems the "greater good." Olivia should have accepted that the young girl's death was sad, but nothing could be done. She has a short memory because the last time she acted to protect a client, she helped murderer(s) get away with their crimes unpunished.

I actually don't think that their affair is an open secret, in fact, I would argue that "no one" knows. Her associates don't know and they are always around. Cyrus, Mellie, Steven, and Verna know, but all have vested interests in staying silent. The Secret Service knows, but that is like no one knowing. Frankly, I don't now how more people have not figured out that they are having an affair. Their body language, eye contact, and intense reaction to each other is so obvious. I do hope that Verna sticks around and becomes Olivia's confidant. We need a bigger window into what she is thinking about Fitz.

Too be fair, I think that we will be getting the background info about Olivia and Davia over the next few episodes, especially with Fitz out of the country.

• Members

It's apparent that she loves him but he's still the one making all the grand gestures and willing to make all the huge sacrifices. She pretty much gets to hide behind that she's allowing him to serve the country and be the great man he's meant to be (which I'm of course, still waiting to see from him). I know that she doesn't have as much at stake as he does but still..... Henry Ian Cusack's talents might have been sorely wasted but at least Stephen brought this softer side of her to light in their scenes. Now there's none of that and I'm tired of the pained look of suffering. She might as well move on and have some fun elsewhere if she's not going to give in. My tolerance for unrequited love usually lasts as long as a movie. Part of the reason that I don't bother with soaps anymore is that I am not interested in all that waiting.....it makes me feel like using Danny Glover's character's expression about getting too old, but really I've become part of that microwave movement in relation to protracted storytelling.

I kind of think that will be the case but again, why does this even need to be dragged out? There should have at least been some initial discussion already. I can't even imagine one year and no "you broke my heart." Surely Davis hasn't been pining away (unless he's out for revenge) so I would have loved to have heard "how's Iris?" Okay if not that, then "how's your mother?"

• Members

I think that we will be seeing Olivia trying to move on from Fitz. I have to think that was the point of introducing her ex. He was obviously putting the moves on her in the last episode. She rejected his initial advances, but her resistance likely won't last long.

When was there time? This has been my complaint about the show trying to straddle genres. There is no time to delve into Edison and Olivia's past at the moment. Time has to be devoted to continuing Olivia and Fitz's romantic melodrama, the White House drama, Huck's torture/killing addiction, Alyssa/David/Abby's intrigue, Olivia's friendship with Verna or whoever, the overarching conspiracy, AND the case of the week. There is so much packed into each episode and rarely are any answers given or anything resolved beyond the case of the week.

• Members

See I keep telling you guys.

I told you guys last week, it's TOO COMPLICATED!!! They need to slow it down.

And I have a feeling that it's going to all crash and burn. You know what I mean.

Somehow the whole Fitz/Olivia break up just didn't do anything for me emotional wise. Guess because I know that the break-up is not going to last.

Edison...........................ah. I wish the guy was cuter. I don't see any chemistry between Edison and Olivia. He acts more like a brother than an ex-lover. They should have brought in what's his name. Blair Underwood. HIM!!!! Yes! Then the ladies would have been in an uproar. They really would have been rooting for that couple. Yes, and all the while thinking about Fitz/Olivia getting back together.

~Milo

• Members

I would love Olivia to have a long bob with an angled cut. She could wear it straight or curly. It is a sharp stylish look that I would expect of a professional woman working in DC. Although at this point, I would just be grateful if her hairstyle looked like it belonged in this decade.

I agree about Edison. Norm Lewis is an attractive guy, but he does not come off suave or sexy and definitely does not convince me that Edison is a real rival for Fitz. I was hopefully they could get Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofer or Michael Ealy or Blair Underwood or Mekhi Phifer or for a short stint.

• Members

It's very rare that I border on not being able to stand someone but Mekhi Phifer truly rubs me the wrong way and it's because of the things he said about Malinda Williams. I avoid anything he's in unless it's really something I want to see badly enough.

I wouldn't want to see either Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor on this show because it would feel as if they've fallen off. British television where they're playing lead characters is okay but here I just expect to see them in cinema or on special cable productions.

I would say Gary Dourdan if he's gotten himself together.

• Members

Yikes, I just search and found out what he Mekhi said about Malinda Williams. I had no idea that they were married. He is low to have gone there. You make a good point about Idris and Chiwetel. Gary Dourdan or Morris Chestnut would do also. I love Michael Ealy and I think that his USA show was cancelled. I just think that Shonda could have found a more compelling actor to play Olivia's ex.

Archived