Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

I am praying and hoping that all is well with all the victims of Super storm Sandy. It's so sad. Slowly but surely things will go back to normal. Be patient you all. There is lots of Scandal to come to keep things off our minds.

Out here there is a big Giant World Series parade and Halloween. But I am not much into any of that.

***********************************************************************************************

So Wales, you think this co-partner knew or knows about Fitz/Olivia romance?

Also, in the secret club everyone knows about Fitz and Olivia except Hollis or maybe he does. I don't know what bearing that might have on their secret mission or whatever they are into. Just curious though. I am wondering how they have managed to keep things away from the President.

~Milo

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. If not, I'd consider it sloppy writing. Artie wasn't operating on his own because that was made clear in both scenes with the black car. It just seems a little too convenient that he needed someone to decrypt that application and he happened to know that he could count on Olivia to get it done for him. Right now, I'll go with it being Davis but it might turn out to be someone else. Maybe they won't even go there since neither Huck nor Olivia even brought up who was driving the car. I know the purpose of the car was to give them the impression that the NSA was watching so maybe Artie just paid someone to drive and park for that purpose.

If they leave it at his being a solo act then it would seem that more curious employees at his classification level should know as well. At the very least, they should reveal how he was able to find out about the secured line.

Whether Hollis knows probably doesn't matter unless he was using it against Fitz. I don't really expect him to shoot the breeze with Olivia about that. I'm not convinced Fitz doesn't know. Whatever happened took place in 2008 which means that it could have been something connected with his Presidency and might have been done to save it in some way. Either he is completely out of the loop and they're protecting him and perhaps themselves or he knows and is not an active participant in the group to protect himself.

For whatever reasoning, I don't get the impression that Davis is such a good guy. I don't think he's around as a simple distraction for Olivia to reminisce about the good old days. He's a factor in something.

Maybe this is something that will end up showing how far Olivia has gone for love.

• Members

Cyrus vs. Mellie.... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! I love Cyrus but damn do I still want it out that he basically had Amanda Tanner killed. I feel like that just might be gone. Unless I'm forgetting something. Also, I could not stop laughing at Cyrus when he walked away and then turned back to talk about them having dinner plans.

Love Cyrus & Olivia having a full out conversation with just looks.

GTFO Abby! I mean serious, get her OUT already. I haven't been able to stand her since day one during S1.

• Members

Ugh, I hated that episode. I was reminded about why I find the show's premise unpalatable most of the time. The case of the week, the conspiracy, and the dialogue were cringe worthy. The Mellie/Cyrus confrontation was okay. I just find the dialogue so over the top and Jeff Perry who plays Cyrus makes odd choices with his inflection. Also, Edison is an odd choice for a love interest for Olivia. I would have preferred that someone new and younger swept her off her feet so she can have a hot fling.

Oh, and they still need to do something about Olivia's hair. I am letting the bland wardrobe go.

• Members

I loved this episode. I think this episode was all about unintended consequences. The Governor killing his wife's lover was basically the Butterfly Effect of how well Olivia did her job getting Fitz elected. But wait, did she really do her job that well or was it the Cytron voting machines? Of course the Cytron bombing led to Quinn Perkins being accused of murder so Olivia fixed that...which led to David losing his case...which led to him investigating how he lost the case. So Olivia fixed that.

The overarching theme was laid out loud and clear in the conversation between Liv and Verna:

Liv: I think anything can be fixed.

Verna: Then you are a fool.

Speaking of consequences, I think Cyrus' hubby will be dead by the end of this season.

• Members

Last night was the first time since the season premiere that I actually remembered the show was on and was prepared to see it from the beginning. It simply wasn't meant to be because about 15 minutes before it started, the power went out in the entire area. Maybe I'll watch it online later or tomorrow while I'm doing laundry.

• Members

This episode did nothing for me. The Mellie/Cyrus confrontation was over the top because Cyrus was over the top. I find it hard to believe that while he and Olivia are friends he would show up at her apartment and discuss his love life because they haven't been that close since season 1. I wish I could enjoy Abby's defiance because while it is needed she's coming off shrill and annoying which sucks. I like the scandal of the week because I knew from jump the twist would be the mayor shot his wife's lover in cold blood, but I only liked it in the context of the back story of Olivia and the mayor's history together. Her sniffing that she hates it when the bad guy gets away - or something to that effect felt like poetic justice.

And lastly, this thing with her ex boyfriend. She either has to have a fling or cut ties with the guy because it's not working. I hate their interactions because it's just not interesting. She can't not want Edison to stop pursuing her yet repeatedly reject him and in the same breath say she wants him to wait until she's ready. It just doesn't work since she cut Fitz off at the knees supposedly because she loves him? Doesn't want to be his mistress? Wants to do the right thing? Maybe all of the above which is yet to be determined. I'm not interested in any type of pseudo romance she may have with Edison and agreeing with Cyrus that "all roads lead to Fitz" is just not enough to keep that connection going.

The possibility that they all fixed Fitz' election was the only thing that was interesting.

On a side note: KW does this mini neck roll thing when saying her dialog. I wish she would stop.

• Members

I don't like that Olivia and Edison have this big history with each other and I don't see a spark between them. I don't like that they know almost everything about each other because there is nothing to pull Olivia there. I wish that she had a new (to her) younger (in her age range) love interest; a man who she genuinely found intriguing, irresistible, and seductive. A man she can see herself sharing her life with, having children with. Heck, she can even have a child with this guy (if the show lasts that long). I just would prefer that Olivia's love for Fitz be really tested by this kind of man in her life, even if it is preordained that she and Fitz reunite down the line.

• Members

See... if she found all those things in Edison, or any other guy for that matter, it would simply dilute the connection she has with Fitz, which primary is the only thing that is interesting because the scandals of the week are becoming status quo, and the other characters do not have any characterization to draw me in. I feel as if Shonda thought a man from Olivia's past would be interesting but it's annoying because there's nothing there and if im suppose to believe that she's truly loves Fitz - which again has yet to be developed then this thing with Edison is a waste if time. I shouldn't have to use a descrambler to know her inner feelings about Fitz, she's starting to remind me of John McBain LOL!

• Members

For me, the hook (and only thing keeping me watching) is Fitz and Olivia's love story and chemistry. However, I am willing to watch their love get challenged and really tested. Olivia has to decide if she really meant it about moving on and having life without Fitz. The only way for that to be compelling to watch for me is if the new man is a genuine rival for Fitz. If not, all we are going to get is Fitz and Olivia pining for each other, Olivia in a half-ass relationship with Edison, continued poor characterization of the supporting characters, and the weekly cases that I do not find particularly interesting.

• Members

I kind of like Edison so far. I don't really feel like we've seen enough of him to make any kind of judgment of him. Fitz and Liv have wonderful chemistry but at the same time they are so overwrought, angst-filled and doomed that1.) I'm happy to get the occasional break from it and 2.) I like to see Liv with someone who can actually offer her something. I also like the fact that he said that if she asked him to leave her alone he would. I like that he's letting her call the shots. Fitz doesn't do that. All he knows is his need for her and it makes him kind of a dick.

• Members

But the reason that Edison would stop asking is because he does not have an intense passion for Olivia which makes him less of a rival for Fitz. And the way he said it, so flat and matter of a fact. Blah. I don't see an attraction to each other from either one of them. I don't want Olivia in a comfortable cozy relationship with Edison.

I do agree with you about Fitz. As I said before, "Fitz is seriously one of the biggest assholes on tv." He is demanding, relentless, intense, jealous and ruthless when it comes to Olivia. I have no clue how he was ever able to hide his love for Olivia from Cyrus. Then there is Fitz's horrific treatment of Mellie. He is cold, callous, cruel, disrespectful, and dismissive towards her. Tony Goldwyn's anguished performances are the only reason that I still empathize with Fitz and do not despise him.

• Members

A scenario that would work for me with Fitz and Olivia's relationship is if Fitz distances himself completely from her and after realizing she got exactly what she wanted, it's unbearable because all she really wants is him. Through angst filled episodes she tries to tell him but keeps getting interrupted by Cyrus or Mellie so she resigned herself to the fact she already made her decision since Fitz is acting like he's completely moved on. But of course we know that Fitz hasn't because when he's alone he continues to miss her. That's must see TV. I'm not sure how many episodes Edison has left however I think the predictable route Shonda is using is to have Olivia force herself to be in a relationship with him because she gets her Christmases with a man who's available when her heart really belongs to Fitz. The latter seems to be a waste of time when the scandals of the week already dominate the episodes.

Archived