Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

I couldn't wait for this episode to be over. Very little about it did anything for me.

But let me start on a light note. Edison.

After his date with Olivia when he said, "I have seen you press your hair." HA! I had to call my black girlfriend.

Olivia Pope presses her own hair. Or used to press her own hair. Okay. She doesn't go to the salon. No Way!!!! All that smoke. HA!!!! Oh no. My girlfriend and I were cracking up. We were like oh okay Shonda has decided to but some color into this.

"Wait till Fitz finds out," I said.

"Oh, no girl with Fitz she's gon have to go to the salon," my girlfriend said.

How far back was Edison with Olivia that she didn't have enough money to go get her hair done? Could he have paid?

In case many don't know, press hair is a hot comb thru the hair. Almost like hot iron. It has to be done piece by piece and the smell is awful.

I am just surpriced that Shonda put that line in. I think she should have written, "I have seen you with curlers in your hair."

Just saying........

~Milo

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now moving on, that was really cold blooded what Olivia did to Abby. OMG! I would be in tears too at the end as she was. What kind of thing is that to do to a friend. Okay, she might have saved her but it just goes to show me that Olivia Pope is real complicated. I mean Fitz has NO IDEA the woman he's in love with. OMG!

I think Edison may know her better. And by the way, Edison is growing on me. Just a tad. I guess it's because Fitz is not in the picture.

Wine and pop corn. Uuuh what a weird combo.

Cyrus and James were good. I like a little light humor. Cyrus is just too much. Him and Olivia, what a great combination.

I didn't care for that whole spy story. I did like that Huck was doing back ground check on his girlfriend. The only logical thing to do.

Fitz does need to come back and kick things up a notch. I didn't miss him in "All Roads Lead to Fitz" but I did miss him in "Spies Like Us."

~Milo

• Members

Wine and M&Ms I like.

Actually I love champagne with a two glass limit. Maybe I should try popcorn and champange.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Alright let me talk about Cyrus house. It is georgeous from outside. Two of them in that big house. No wonder James wants a baby. That is a lot of space for two people. So far from what I saw from the breakfast nuck, it looked nice. The view of the outdoors was beautiful.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Harrison steped up to the plate when Olivia wanted but I thought that being a gladiator inside the office was just crossing the line. At least he felt bad about it.

~Milo

• Members

I wish that they had done things a better way with David and Abby. I too did not like how things were done. They are two good people. David is going to know that Olivia is behind it. He is going to realize that each time he steps foward he moves two steps back. Everything he touches turn to dough. It all falls apart. Why is that? He picked up Abby at a bar and offered her a drink. He sleeps with her and falls in love. Now why has everything gone sour. It's Olivia Pope.

I agree that Olivia should have gone to Abby and told her that David is playing on the other team and that it's a conflict of interested. Then again, I don't think strong will Abby would have listened. Especially given the fact that she found out in the episode before this one that David was set up. I don't know. I just thought it was so cruel.

And here I thought that David and Abby could move the secret club storyline along. Found out what they did. Why exactly they could all go to prison. Not that Shonda is going to give me that answer any time soon.

~Milo

• Members

I thought that the pressing hair line was great. It represented all those intimate moments that Olivia wants and has never had with Fitz (based on her comments to the Rev's mistress). This dalliance with Edison is pure rebound and bound to end badly (for him anyway), but I am glad that she has someone to date and comfort her because Fitz cannot be there for her in any substantive way.

• Members

I thought about that because the way Abby was set up as being so bent on exposing Quinn, it would make it a bit unreal for her to just trust Olivia regarding David. Still, I don't think that Olivia should have involved Harrison. I don't like the idea of her involving the team in working against each other in any way unless it's in a "kosher" attempt to save someone and muddying David does not constitute that kind of a save.

The pressed hair comment you brought up kind of seemed like one of those out of nowhere statements. I don't know that it represented the sort of thing a man says when he's trying to remind a woman that he knows things about her or has seen her do things only someone that intimate would have seen. That was more of a "I've seen you naked before" moment so the pressed hair reference probably worked just the way you and your friend took it. In some ways, it conjures up an image of an Olivia in a tiny apartment barely scraping by and not being able to afford to go to a salon. That would mean that Edison and Olivia either go way way back or that she went from rags to riches at a fast clip, depending on how old she's supposed to be. I guess they might have been college sweethearts and he ultimately got pushed aside when she went to work on Fitz's campaign. But I don't suppose he's really back just to rekindle things....at least I hope there's more to his reappearance in her life than that.

• Members

I did not think that Olivia pressing her own hair had anything to do with scraping by. Pressing hair in a lost art in today's beauty salon so the few African American women who do press their hair, learn to do it for themselves or get a friend to help. In the context of Edison's speech, the line seemed deliberately put there to remind Olivia about their intimacy of their relationship.

• Members

For me it conjured up that image. Olivia, so far, does not come across as the type of woman who would have pressed her own hair....maybe the kind to have a friend do it for her if she even seems as if she had a friend. I suppose at some point in her past that she must have had a close friend or even friends outside of the world of politics and maybe that will be revealed as well. Edison's reference may have been meant to show intimacy but it didn't work for me personally to do that. It just made me notice it as out of nowhere but I'm probably not like most viewers so I'm sure it worked for others.

I did not intend to imply that only women scraping by would press their own hair. I don't use the term "African-American" personally nor does anyone I know so you'll see me either place it in quotes if I'm going by what someone else calls himself/herself. Otherwise, I just say "black." I am sure there are black women here and in other countries who still press their own hair, if they haven't resorted to flat ironing or maybe some combo. I know everyone is not a fan of the straight perm. And I know everyone is not a fan of salons.

• Members

Until the 1960s, African Americans (and society) referred to themselves as "Negros." By the end of the 1960s, most African Americans referred to themselves as "Black." By the 1980s, Negro was considered outdated and even racist in some given circumstances. In the late 1980s, the term, "African American" entered the lexicon and is now used interchangeably with "Black" by people in that community. A similar change is also occurring in the community referred to as "Hispanic" where the term, "Latino" is becoming more popular and is preferred by many in that community. My point here is that all that matters is what the community perceives itself and what terms that it prefers to use to refer to itself socially.

• Members

Oh, I get that Edison was referring to all the intimate moments he has had with Olivia in the past when he mentioned "pressing your hair." I just found it funny that she did her own hair.

Like Wales2004 said I find it strange that Olivia Pope would be pressing her own hair. At least let a friend do it.

And to me, it does sound like someone who was scraping by. If you can afford to have someone else press your hair, you would. So I am thinking that she definetly was doing this back in college or something.

By the way Ann, pressing hair is NOT a lost art. I thought it was. Then years ago a friend took me to a salon to get a fancy hairstyle for a fancy party (I am Latina by the way). The hair salon was black and in the back I was surprised to see them pressing hair. I knew what that was I had seen it before. I have black friends. But, I thought everyone was getting relaxers, weaves and braids. But I found out many gals were still pressing hair.

Now I go to a mixed salon once in a while where they do all types of hair and they press hair.I thought it was something they did out here in San Francisco since the weather is pretty cool. But I learned that many gals back east and down south still press their hair. Some have friends do it. Some go to a salon.

~Milo

• Members

I am not exactly sure why you felt the need to give me a lesson and you left out the term "colored." I knew a couple of elderly people (black if it makes any difference) who referred to "colored people" quite a bit as well as a man in his early fifties.

I am pretty certain that I said that I don't personally use the term "African American" and that I place it in quotes if I'm going by how others refer to themselves.

You may refer to yourself as such and everyone you know may as well but that does not mean that all black people use that term (and I'm not making assumptions about whether you do or not, I'm just basing this on the history lesson you chose to give me). I don't know any black people who use the term to refer to themselves. None of my friends use the term to refer to themselves or any other black person. None of my friends think they are part of any black community either. I think it's perfectly okay for people to not force themselves to be homogenous just to satisfy how society wants to label them.

I don't think my viewpoints should detract in any way from yours and I totally respect yours and others whether I agree with them or not.

I personally find "African American" a useless term because I don't see why people cannot simply be Americans. It's not as if there isn't an assumption that anyone who looks black has roots in Africa and frankly it implies that every black American has the same roots which is far from true. I've already encountered debates started by people who swear that the immigrants from African nations have no business calling themselves "African American" because they don't have slave ancestry. And if slave ancestry is their criteria then that means all the black people born in America to immigrants of various nations and those born to parents with no slave ancestry cannot be "African American." Who is supposed to look at everyone and make the distinction? As it is, you cannot look at dark Dominicans or Cubans and discern that they are "Hispanic" or "Latino, " but you can easily look at those people and mislabel them "African American" and I am pretty certain that every black person does not want to be called "African American." Black and "African American" may be used interchangeably but that is most definitely inaccurate as every black person in America and elsewhere is not American.

The bottom line is that all it does is add to the confusion and I don't think any more confusion is needed so I don't contribute and I don't begrudge anyone who does.

• Members

Then, all I can say is that while in your part of the world, there are many people who press their hair in the cities with large African American populations that I have lived and visited over the years, you have to search high and low for a hair salon where someone presses hair and you are lucky to find one where the person does it well i.e. without damaging your hair. This is why many women learn to do it for themselves or get a friend to help.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that Shonda's point with that line was that Olivia pressing her hair in front of Edison is an intimate moment because there is all sorts of issues about African American women and what they let their man see and touch when it comes to their hair.

• Members

I am not sure that pressing is such a lost art. I've seen salons in which the hot comb oven is still used.

And this is my personal opinion and I can't speak for anyone but me but I do know women that totally agree with me on this, the whole "can't touch a black woman's hair" is sheer nonsense. It implies that other women don't care if their hair is touched and that no black women wants her hair to be touched which is completely false. I doubt that any woman wants someone to mess her hair up when she has it styled exactly the way she wants it. I'm sure there are even men who are particular about the perfectly coiffed hair.

Archived