Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm not sure if Huck is really the shooter or if the reason will really be the seemingly obvious one (knowledge about rigged election) but I do believe the reporter that died was the primary target and the Pres was shot as a cover for it. The first several shots were aimed near Fitz and it looked like (and I believe it was later stated on the show) that he was shot several times but the one shot that actually resulted in death was the one shot aimed in a different direction than where the president was standing. The reporter was standing by herself and at a distance from the president - she was only shot once, it was the only shot fired into the area where she was standing, and it succeeded in killing her.

The scenes of the shooting played out differently than I expected. It came off feeling surreal and I think that may have been intentional to show how it felt from the perspective of Cyrus/Olivia/Mellie. There was this feeling of the three most influential people in Fitz's life all being cut off from him in the most critical seconds of his life, which would certainly be realistic in the shooting of a President - Mellie was obviously being instructed to stay down and Cyrus and Olivia were both shown as being frozen in place, and again presumably that would be the required protocol. None of them would have been allowed near him and yet as a viewer that initially felt so out of place and wrong to me. Mellie, at least got to be *there* once he was in the hospital and Cyrus and Liv were certainly needed elsewhere but it just drove home again how lonely and in many ways powerless Fitz's position as POTUS makes him - the only person allowed near him when he's fighting for his life is a woman he would clearly rather have nothing to do with if it were up to him.

IMO, this was the best episode so far. It was sad and hard to watch in some ways but very well done - it circled back beautifully to the pilot episode and gave us a lot more insight into numerous characters and their relationships with each other. Olivia saying "I'm not yours" in the Hunting Season episode has new, and even more heartbreaking meaning now after seeing their conversations in the rose garden and standing in front of the constitution.... and also tied into what she told him in the pilot episode about thinking that he wanted to dedicate himself to his marriage, be a better man, the man that she voted for.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right. They shouldn't completely remove them. I posted in the context of them always being the focus of the episodes at the expense of character progression. They should never drive story but used in context.

Thanks for the reminder because I'll be sure to check it out. For someone who was extremely perturbed at Olivia for numerous episodes her admission was needed for me because I was tired of Fitz wearing his heart on his sleeve only to be shot down. I do believe she cared for Fitz but knowing for a fact that she does love keeps me invested.

I've seen elsewhere that speculation suggests there were two shooters and I disagree. I believe he shot all three of them and was obviously getting directive from someone else.

I completely agree. Especially the part about David and Abby. Given the context of the flashbacks with Hollis she needed to protect them at all costs however I still hate her methods and Shonda needs to find the right balance with her.

Mellie needed to be shown more. The only time we actually began seeing her is when Olivia decided to use her to stall the VP which strategically was a good move because her grief was so genuine it would have made her too sympathetic to show her grieving for a man who loathes her. Unless they villianize her there's absolutely no reason to root for her marriage to fail when she didn't do anything to deserve it. That makes her even more sympathetic and she's quickly becoming my fave.

• Members

I loved the "Happy Birthday Mr. President" episode.

I could do without the anchor. He did nothing for me.

Of course the Olivia and Fitz scene were HOT!!!

I always knew she loved him. She just doesn't want to admit it too much because she knows that the President is not hers.

Olivia is always trying to pull away. And one of the ways to do this is to tell herself that she's not in love. It's only a fling.

~Milo

• Administrator

Wow, the last 2 episodes were amazing! And it proves that the show should just go all with the conspiracy/political power struggle and ditch the 'cases of the week'. Becky killing Huck's "family" was so sad. Poor Huck. sad.png The scene where they showed the family dead was chilling. Can't wait for the episode where Huck eventually finds Becky and kills her - that has to happen! Love the Cyrus/James dnyamic - Cyrus find out that James when to Ohio so he goes and agrees to adopt a baby and asks James to quit his job...James agrees. We think Cyrus fooled James but at the end of the episode we find out James hasn't given up on the story. The VP blackmails Verna in giving up the Supreme Court position but Verna turns around sells out Olivia by giving up Huck! There's so much backstabbing, double-crossing, triple-crossing, betraylas, lies, secrets...I love it!! How fitting that episode was titled "Blown Away".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So I ended up watching this online and I don't believe I skipped ahead to anything which makes this an even better episode than the last for me. I'm glad that the shooting turned out as things aren't what they appear to be as it pertains to Huck. I'm picky about backstabbing but it worked well in this episode. I wasn't sure about Sally's role before but now it seems as if she's just an opportunist and nothing more. Hollis seems kind of obvious--maybe there's a whodunit twist.

Since James probably saved himself by giving the flash drive to David, it's all about what David does and it probably ends at his figuring out that Quinn was set up and her finding out as well. His role all started because he was convinced she was guilty so the most likely ending to Scandal would be Fitz finding out and resigning. If the show lasts, the whole thing can be glossed over by having him cleanly win re-election.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Such a great episode last night

I love Mellie and Cyrus trying to come up with ideas to do stuff so that woman wouldn't have the presidency much longer/

Olivia sticking it to Mellie was good and then when she helped Mellie bring it all back was a good scene too. I love Kerry & Bellamy and sometimes wish they could be friends but realize they probably can't.

James and that baby scene was so precious... I'm like YAY he finally has the baby he's wanted since S1.

Not surprised at all it was Hollis since he was always going maverick and rogue on them, I hated Huck's torture scene... I hope they do the same to Becky/Kate and Hollis.

I love that Quinn is not idle and really questions things that she wants answers to and I definitely agree that she should and I can't wait to see what answers Olivia gives her. I was loving all the wardrobe choices they gave Katie in last night's episode.

Archived