Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

I fell asleep and only caught the last several minutes (funeral negotiation) but since it was already posted online, I watched it this morning.

It was a very good episode. I liked the interaction between the widow and Mellie and the message Mellie sent to Olivia. Also how Mellie but her hands on her stomach as she exchanged glances with Olivia. The exchange between Fitz and Mellie was perfect because it was slightly deceptive. There was that moment when their faces were close enough but his heart was nowhere near hers. At some point she'll get that she cannot reclaim him but it was good to know they were once in love. Next will be revealing what changed. Is it obviously Olivia or did something happen before her?

I love how many pillows Cyrus has to move in order to go to bed. I'm way too practical for that sort of ritual. I like how the zeroed in on that guy as if he were guilty.

The clean-up of the day story was good because it stood alone and as a connection to Olivia's situation which gave Mellie her moments. My problem was the same as Ann's when it came to the wife reaching out to the mistress. I would not have had that problem had it not been for the monetary demands which I found somewhat ridiculous because I applied logic instead of following training and simply buying in. The mistress was a lawyer and had been in the affair for 15 years. She seemed shrewd so it's hard to imagine that she would not have already had the Reverend set up a trust fund for that boy. I don't like how she demanded the money then trotted the little boy out as leverage. I just think that if she loved the man so much that it would have been about her being able to attend the funeral all along instead of a sideshow about money. If he had millions, he would have taken care of her ages ago. When the wife embraced her it seemed like she pretty much undid everything because wouldn't reporters be curious about this woman and her son? So they should have just had her demands be about attending the funeral from the beginning, have the wife resist and at the end acquiesce in a last ditch effort to save her husband's reputation. The little let's hold hands moment should have taken place after the funeral under my scenario.

Huck at the AA meeting using drinking whiskey as a metaphor for kill was sad. There's no Killer's Anonymous and it is his addiction. I hope they have Olivia face the damage she caused him at some point. I know it was ultimately his decision but she should never have asked.

Since Olivia is unlikely to have a downfall then it seems most likely to be Joshua Malina's in that role. He's going to keep digging until he finds out.....

So Fitz distrusts Cyrus enough to think he would use a doctored photo to manipulate him.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is hard to believe that the Reverend had not set up a trust for his son. He was the one bringing in the money. He easily could have done it without his wife having a clue. I bet Fitz has already made provisions for Olivia in the event that something happened to him.

Whatever went wrong between Fitz and Mellie happened before Olivia. I always remember that huge fight they had during the campaign when Olivia made them talk to each other. Fitz has been done with Mellie for years. His love and intense focus on Olivia has just made it worse for Mellie.

The previews for two weeks from now looked very good. Looks like Fitz and Olivia will be putting a tree to good use. smile.png

• Members

I finally saw "The Other Woman".

I have to read recaps before I watch because this show is just way too complicated for me.

I liked it.

Better than the first one.

This episode's case parallel Olivia's personal life. And it was nicely done.

I wished that Olivia had spent more time with the mistress and we got to see what more Olivia is in store for if she continues with Fitz. They should have concentrated more on the scandal of the week as it pertained to Olivia and Fitz. It was a great idea. They just love to squeeze too much in one episode. I could have done without all that Quinn/Oakland stuff. It was enough to hear that Quinn is part of a bigger story and that Olivia is not willing to tell her everything at this point. That's all I needed to hear.

The phone conversations were nice. I will go into that later.

It is going to be SCANDALOUS in two weeks.

Can we put spoilers here?

~Milo

• Members

You can put spoilers just put them in spoiler tags: <spoilers></spoilers>

I don't see Olivia suffering the Rev's girlfriend's fate. The Rev and his wife seemed to have a caring relationship. In contrast, Fitz has absolutely no feelings for Mellie. The moment that he is out of the presidency, he is divorcing Mellie and marrying Olivia, if she is still waiting for him.

• Members

Oh, no Ann. I know that Olivia isn't necessarily going to go through the same faith as the Pastor and his mistress. But she is going to have a few years of no christmases or dinners. And with Mellie knowing about their secret, it will be hard. You see what she told Fitz in the promos for the next episode.

Now I too believe that Fitz will divorce Mellie after his four years to be with Liv. But it's going to be bad before it gets better.

And by the way, I love the whole Olivia/Fitz storyline don't get me wrong. I am just saying that I wish Olivia got to talk more with the mistress and get the scoop. Not that she is going to be waiting for 15 years.

~Milo

• Members

**************************************SPOILER ALERT***********************************SPOILER ALERT*******************

***********************SPOILER*****************************SPOILER*******************SPOILER****************************

Okay, this is no big deal but I want to put it as a spoiler just in case.

Olivia has an ex-boyfriend that just may enter into the story.

Can you guys imagine if this comes to pass. Fitz is going to go crazy!!!!!

But I would love it.

~Milo

• Members

I don't know the intent of the writers but I didn't draw any parallels between Olivia and the mistress. The woman wanted money to compensate for the pain she brought upon herself. Without input from the minister, there was nothing to suggest that she was any more to him than kinky sex. His wife didn't seem to have any knowledge of the affair and it was going on for 15 years so he was careful or the wife was in denial, but that didn't seem to be the case. The plot was a device to create a scene in which Mellie could send a message to Olivia that she was not as significant a figure in Fitz's life than Mellie. That shows how insecure Mellie is. She already knows that her husband does not love her and he probably never loved her anywhere near the way he loves Olivia. Mellie knew Amanda Tanner was no threat to her and she treated that situation as a nuisance for which she blamed Oliva so there was no need for Olivia to commiserate with that woman or try to learn anything from her. There's nothing to learn.

• Members

The parallels I saw between Olivia and the mistress was that they are two highly educated woman in love with very powerful men. And they are and were second bananas to the wives. It's not every day that you get to meet someone who has the same relationships secrets as you do and the chick has been doing this for 15 years. I'd be interested in how she coped all them years.

Having said that, the money issue is a totally different thing. I don't included the mistress greedyness as a parallel. I don't even know why she got so greedy.

The Cyrus/James scenes were funny. Something light. Because Huck is scary now. That boy is about pop. But I am liking him better than Quinn.

~Milo

• Members

IMO, Olivia's similarity to the mistress lies in the moments that they both missed with the men that they loved; Christmases, birthdays, anniversaries, sleeping and waking up next to him every day. When Olivia was telling the woman the things that she wanted, it was clear that Olivia wanted those moments with Fitz and she was in a great deal of pain knowing that she was missing out on them now, even if they got together in the future. To be fair, Fitz isn't enjoying any of those things with Mellie unlike the Reverend with his wife. Fitz like Olivia is suffering tremendously because they are not together.

• Members

I agree Ann.

And Fitz felt it too.

Once Liv told him about the pastor and the mistress, he got serious. He knew what she was feeling.

When he thru those papers off his desk in rage, he knew.

***********************************************************************************************

But can we talk about Olivia's bedroom. Her bedding. The small stuff. tongue.png I loved her bed.

And her pjs were nice.

Don't need to know what brand or designer though I am sure the fans are asking. I just thought it was all so nice. I bet Fitz would love it.

~Milo

• Members

Yeah, I agree. Fitz and Olivia are both a mess. Frankly, I don't know why they don't just resume their affair. Mellie is not going to do a thing. She has too much invested in Fitz staying in the White House.

I hate that we have to wait until next week for the next episode. In any case, I hope that Fitz and Olivia do get to sleep together again sometime before the end of the season.

I liked her silk pjs, but her bedroom is not my style at all.

Archived