February 28 - March 4, 2011

Toups

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MAB has coasted on a retrograde show that recycles lame stories featuring repulsive, lifeless characters, many of the leading characters played by very pampered actors. She has let Sheffer destroy the last bit of foundation Y&R had. Sheffer is a plague to his soaps. They may have some hype or ratings boost for a while but they will crash sooner or later. Y&R gives viewers no reason to be invested in anything, ever.

• Members

Holy Crap, those are scary new lows in demos.

Toups, quick question do you know has AMC ever fallen below 2 million in dailies outside of repeats or pre-emptions?

Because this low SHOCKED me:

Thursday: 1.6/1,982,000

Over at OLTL, those are some huge day to day fluctuations in viewership.

Monday: 1.9/2,627,000 (+87,000)

Tuesday: 1.7/2,261,000 (-366,000)

Wednesday: 1.9/2,629,000 (+368,000)

Thursday: 1.7/2,118,000 (-511,000)

Friday: 1.8/2,320,000 (+202,000)

A look at OLTL's Jan-Feb the last 3 years, viewership holding better than I expected but significant percentage drop in demos.

Jan 2009 2,453,947 808,600

Feb 2009 2,513,750 769,500

Jan 2010 2,489,000 708,000

Feb 2010 2,599,750 772,000

Jan 2011 2,675,053 619,500 ---lowest monthly demo average

Feb 2011 2,471,250 647,250

• Members

I would think all these ratings drops have more to do with the long-awaited thaw to the neverending winter in most places. People are staying in less, which means fewer sets are being turned on. GH had a major event with a lot of advertising, which propelled them a bit to appointment TV, but it's hard to believe that the other shows dropped just because everyone suddenly realized how bad the shows are. Yeah, none of the shows are in terrific shape, but they're not any worse than they were a month or two ago when they were getting better numbers.

• Members

If you want to tell stories then at least be consistent with them. Don't have a woman get together so quickly with a man who stole her baby and told her it had died of deformities. Don't write an "us against the world" story with this type of relationship - at least be honest about it. Don't write a gooey romance novel fairytaleland saga with Lily and Cane and then assume their fans will be fine with the fairy tale ending in Sam Peckinpah. Don't have Victor dump all over everyone 95% of the time and then assume the audience will weep for the 5% that involves him making sad faces and being misunderstood. Don't assume viewers will accept a new couple just because you forcefeed them dated and erroneous movie shoutouts. Don't throw random actors in random roles, do a piss-poor job developing them, and then watch them collect mold. Don't shove your favorites at the audience if the audience loathes them - the viewers will not suddenly adore them. Don't write lame "mysteries" that have no real resolution and are onscreen only because you think you are clever.

• Members

AMC/OLTL demos are scary, and I cant believe AMC episode from last Thursday had under 2 million viewers it is approaching GL/Passions numbers.

I am glad Y&R is sinking, and I wish B&B would fall harder so it could be lumped in with the rest of the pack. It sucks ass right now.

Archived