February 28 - March 4, 2011

Toups

• Members

I don't think this is worth saying anymore. People have clearly decide what they think, or think they know. LOL OLTL is clearly a better product, with a much longer, more productive shelf life. I mean, LOOK at those numbers. ;)

When someone from the network posts here and tells us what all of this really means, then I'll finally put some stock in it. But at the end of the day, we don't anything but the numbers and what the numbers have been, and have meant for other shows with similar numbers. That doesn't mean we KNOW what the networks thinks or is planning.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah. OLTL will get dropped from the DVRs that only record it because it's between the AMC and GH. I don't know how significant that number is. Only time will tell. That's what I mean that canceling one is canceling both. There's nothing about canceling one that benefits the other.

But getting away from Soap Death Watch 2011 for a moment, how is March Madness going to affect the ratings? I shut out ALL things sports- related but there's already pre-emptions in some markets right?

• Members

Come on now, Marceline. I know you of all people know DVR's don't work like that!:D. AMC nor GH don't see the light of day on my DVR. There is no need for me to record a show I don't watch. I think most rational thinking people are like that.

I say these things with no malice.

• Members

Great minds! :) We're all just putting our own spin and take on this stuff. ABC Daytime has done sh&t that has surprised me, in good and HORRIBLE ways, a lot over the years...so I don't even venture to guess what they actually make of these numbers. For all we know, as long as people are watching, they'll milk both shows until they can't possibly generate any money. Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

We'll just have to wait and see how it all finally shakes out, if it even does anytime soon.

• Members

Toups, a question about something you brought up.

Would ABC/CBS/NBC be allowed to call the airings today specials (so not to count it) after the fact ?

It's going to be more tragic than these numbers if they're not allowed to toss Friday.

Cancelling one means the other is definitely going to get cancelled and in the next year. It will be ABC announcing they've decided to close shop on the genre.

Despite these horrific numbers, I still don't think either AMC or OLTL is going to be cancelled for September 2011 or December 2011. IMO, they'll give them one more go around to cut budgets even more, they may play around with timeslots (Guiding Light, Port Charles), etc.

• Members

I thought CBS didn't make any money off international sales.

I don't think they will reduce to a half-hour, then cancel, because it would take up a lot of time and money only for shows they are planning to get rid of anyway. It also means that even more pressure will be put on their new talk/cooking shows, which sound wretched (View for Men! Tori Spelling wasting away with special friend!). They will probably just get rid of one, then the other, in six months or a year.

If I were ABC I would consider just showing repeats of primetime shows in the daytime slots instead of talk shows that people aren't going to watch anyway.

• Members

It is hard knock life for these soaps. The 18 to 49 women demos for all the soaps are pretty bad. However, I agree that AMC goes first, I always thought it would be OLTL. After OLTL, Y&R, Days, and GH aren't that far behind., only three years at most.

• Members

That actually helps to answer a question for me. I see certain similarities between the two shows and wonder of Jean or Goutman 'stole' stuff. I get that all soaps are somewhat alike; however, this is something more. Still remember when ATWT had a unique vibe but it wouldn't shock me if theft took place. Roxies reminds me so much of Rose's Roller Palic. and the Bueno Dias is Al's Diner. There are so many other issues like rushed story and the hero/villian anti-hero vibe

• Members

Yes, as I said to Eric, it seems that AWTWT borrowed certain elements from OLTL. All sopas are similiar but Goutman as well as Jean really changed the show in some radical ways.

I am new to OLTL so wasn't sure wo did what first. To me, ATWT was much more like, had the same feel, as OLTL more than any other soap. I can't draw the same contrasts between ATWT and GH, Days, or AMC.

Y&R is damaged. This drop has lasted since Cane's death for three weeks. I am so over Colin! So over heffa Sophia treating men like Big Macs! Never want to see Hogan again! Same goes for !@#$%^&*] boy Chance.

Archived