February 28 - March 4, 2011

Toups

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Soaps better code today's episodes as specials or else it'll be another ratings disaster.

I don't know but I would guess a yes. You should check these weeks:

2,208,000 (August 24-28, 2009)

2,267,000 (August 18-22, 2008)

2,367,000 (May 5-9, 2008)

2,408,000 (April 14-18, 2008)

2,413,000 (March 31 - April 4, 2008)

• Members

I am with you. Both had many chances to fix things, but they have such disregard

for the fans. AMC knew there was a huge void when TK decided not to relocate, and they

never attempted to get anyone wiht any sort of following as Kendall's love interest (or if they did, it didn't work). They needed someone like a Ted King for Kendall.

• Members

There are only so many chances to fix things with Frons around. His input has seriously ruined all the ABC soaps, although they have also made many mistakes without him. I can't really see it as both shows deserving to go because of disregarding fans, since GH probably disregards fans more than any show, but still has better ratings. The problem is they don't know how to do any stunts. If your show is poorly made then at least big stunts draw away from that.

• Members

That may or may not be. I'm not an ABC exec or a soothsayer, so I don't know what will happen. I surely wouldn't be posting here, I'd be at Aqueduct betting on the horses. Anyway, just saying if anything were to happen I don't think a "brand" of anything will save AMC.

Edit: I take that back. Maybe "brand" new HW's and a brand new un-recycled EP. Maybe a brand new regime at ABCD.

• Members

I'm still not convinced that one is going. But who the hell knows at this point. I don't find any argument to make me think either show is safe. So if one does go, it won't surprise me if it's OLTL and it won't surprise me if it's AMC.

• Members

It's been there ever since they were stupid enough to hire Pratt

Its gonna be AMC cause OLTL has lost less overall viewers from a year ago and with it being under budget, it's gotta alot more things in it's favor. They at least managed a bump this sweeps, AMC has gone two sweeps that had sucktastic demos

• Members

I always knew it was a matter of time before people tuned out Y&R in droves.

Y&R has alienated many of it's core audiences:

(1). Longtime viewers - There's a lack of anything being recognizable on this show. Characters are written as caricatures with a total lack of motivation, plots are insane and only serve for cheap sensationalism. Let's not forget that Y&R also has a huge older audience why might be tuning out as well and who might have been following the show for a very long time until recently.

(2). African Americans - For a long time Y&R had a huge African American contingent, both on the show, and in its audience. My sense is this particular audience has tuned out after being portrayed very offensively and also being neglected.

(3). Women - What's to say here? The women on this show are written for in an offensive matter as well. I can't see a single female member of the audience either empathizing with them, or wanting to fantasize to be any of the women on this show...

While it isn't the only show to do this, Y&R stood to loose the most viewers being that it had more than the other soap. But, with the way the show has been going over the past 2-3 years, if they kept up that kind of storytelling, I think it was bound to tune viewers out in the longrun. I know I eventually quit last April after not recognizing anything about the show, and I don't intend to ever tune in again, unless serious and positive behind the scenes changes are made. But it may already be too late, the damage is already done...

• Members

This is also the danger of becoming a "couple show." Bill Bell worked hard to avoid that trap, even when he had one of daytime's most popular couples, Nikki and Victor. They were always fully defined characters and not just a couple. You don't have that now. You have overly entitled couples who are frozen solid because the show never wants to fully alienate another couple fanbase. And that's what has happened here - one character after another has been destroyed because of this gameplaying. The show has no identity and little entertainment value beyond stunts. Last week's ratings, I think Daytime Confidential said they were surprised because the show was good, but even what is supposed to be "good" is so overfamiliar (like this lawsuit story) that a lot of people have had enough.

Archived