February 28 - March 4, 2011

Toups

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see OLTL holding onto any gains, though. In fact, it's like right there with AMC. Dunno. I'm not convinced that OLTL has anymore life left in it than AMC. I think people have their biases.

I'll be perfectly honest, before last year, I wanted AMC canceled. I felt like they deserved it. Like it was what they got for everything since like 2005. I don't feel that way anymore, at least not on the same level, I just don't agree that its obvious OLTL has anymore life left in it, either.

I think unless something BIG changes and fast, they're both dead.

• Members

It's going to be AMC because AMC is the first in the lineup. Putting a talk show in OLTL's slot would put it directly up against The Talk AND sandwich it between two soaps. That's a losing proposition for potential advertisers. It's easier and less disruptive to replace AMC, build up that new show then kill OLTL after it's limped along for another 6-12 months.

That's pretty much what's going to happen but they have to stagger it so they get get replacements ready. A cancellation announcement for one is a cancellation annoncement for both.

• Members

I agree though, which ever one is left standing is only getting 6 months to a year...and that's probably more sentimental than anything.

Is it possible to get a literal cancellation for both? Ie. that ABC Daytime is going to begin to eliminate their soaps, AMC gets 6 months, OLTL a year...and GH will be determined later.

• Members

I wonder sometimes if we overthink all of this. I mean, how many viewers really pay attention to who a HW or EP is, or who wrote that particular day's episode. I don't think most people know who MAB or Chuck Pratt are. I doubt if most of the audience has noticed a change in tone in Y&R, and are throwing darts at their MAB dart board LOL. Most people watch while eating lunch and talking to their coworkers. For them, Y&R is probably just a habit and just background noise as they chat. No one but us dissects these shows so comprehensively LOL. Sure, there's probably a small minority who have tuned out because they don't like the direction their show is going, but I think that's rare. These shows have been done in my a gazillion other viewing options that would still look lucrative next to even the best written soap, and, changing viewing patterns during the warmer months. GH's recent bump shows there are lapsed viewers who will return for a heavily promoted event, but even that is usually short-lived. Just my two cents.

Archived