• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, asafi said:

Shocked, Christine asks Paul why he never told her about his sister.

Hmmm... for Christine not to be aware of Patty seems like a retcon... in spring/early summer '84, Danny was dating Andrea Evans' Patty before his shotgun wedding to Traci... while Cricket was also hanging around/crushing on Danny. Don't know if Cricket and Patty ever shared a scene but surely she knew of Patty as "competition"

Such a retcon wouldn't be unusual for YR... I'm watching fall '93 now, where all of Eve's sins from the 80s were completely erased... '93 Nikki says she's never met Eve but has heard good things 

Edited by yrfan1983
4 hours ago, yrfan1983 said:

Hmmm... for Christine not to be aware of Patty seems like a retcon... in spring/early summer '84, Danny was dating Andrea Evans' Patty before his shotgun wedding to Traci... while Cricket was also hanging around/crushing on Danny. Don't know if Cricket and Patty ever shared a scene but surely she knew of Patty as "competition"

Such a retcon wouldn't be unusual for YR... I'm watching fall '93 now, where all of Eve's sins from the 80s were completely erased... '93 Nikki says she's never met Eve but has heard good things 

That's hilarious, since she and Nikki got into it at one of Victor's early fake funerals.....LOL

I’d like to know what was going though Bill Bells head with these Retcons. I just think it’s weird neither Alden, Smith or anyone on the writing staff would remind him: “wait, these characters did meet before, etc..” it’s so lazy, unless Bell felt those early 80s stories with Eve, Patty etc.. weren’t his best and he felt the need to “reset” the prior history. It’s a bit of an insult to the audience who had watched for 10-20 years at that point and did see all those stories play out. I once heard Bell assumed viewers wouldn’t remember those stories or characters. Again kind of insulting the viewers intelligence. 

Why bother with Cricket not knowing about Patty? Surely it would be just as easy (and acceptable) for her to say that Paul never talks much about her.

As much as Bill is praised, had those stories come about in the internet age, there would have been a lot of blowback.

As a viewer at the time, I was annoyed by these retcons.

We've talked about it before, but it seems odd that Bell would initiate  this story without having the role of Patty cast.

37 minutes ago, YRfan23 said:

I’d like to know what was going though Bill Bells head with these Retcons. I just think it’s weird neither Alden, Smith or anyone on the writing staff would remind him: “wait, these characters did meet before, etc..” 

In his defense, as far as retcons go, those were minor.
But we do know that Bell was comfortable proactively deciding to pretend a story he wrote and later regretted never happened (see Dru/Malcolm/Lily's paternity).

2 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Why bother with Cricket not knowing about Patty? Surely it would be just as easy (and acceptable) for her to say that Paul never talks much about her.

As much as Bill is praised, had those stories come about in the internet age, there would have been a lot of blowback.

As a viewer at the time, I was annoyed by these retcons.

We've talked about it before, but it seems odd that Bell would initiate  this story without having the role of Patty cast.

I can’t help but think he would have gotten a lot of flack from Daytime Confidential too if they were around back then. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

I'd add that even without the retcon I find the soap trope of having a character not discuss important parts of their lives with the person they are supposedly madly in love with pretty unappealing.
How am I supposed to root for Cricket and Paul if he is not comfortable discussing that he has a sister just because she has a mental illness? What does it say about Paul and what does it say about how much he trusts and feels comfortable with that woman he wants to marry?
I would literally dump a guy who I have dated for a significant period of time and who never mentioned he had a sister!

Not good writing IMHO. I agree "He doesn't like to talk about her" would have been a fair compromise.

6 minutes ago, YRfan23 said:

I can’t help but think he would have gotten a lot of flack from Daytime Confidential too if they were around back then. 

As terrible as contemporary writers have been, I often think on how differently "legendary" soap writers would be remembered if there had been Internet and its dynamic back then.

Edited by FrenchBug82

So, we have the

'Patty just vanished and had mental health issues'

plus 'Carl just vanished and has been missing for years'

as well as 'Eve did not go crazy and try to murder Victor'

Any other missteps from the past?

The thing is, they were written for no reason.

Carl had been offscreen for sometime but Mary's role had diminished also so as a viewer it was possible to accept that Carl and Mary's lives were continuing offscreen.

Why not bring Carl back and show some friction in their marriage. It would be believable that Carl might have crossed paths with Ruth and become attracted to a woman less rigid and judgmental than Mary.

Chris spots them in an out of town locale and the story takes off from there.

Way more believable and relatable than the tired old amnesia story.

Why not play the Patty story as happened onscreen? She simply left town for a fresh start.

That would leave the story open to all possibilities.

Patty could return with plans to get revenge on Jack, or still vulnerable to his advances.

Make a fresh play for Danny etc

I wonder why nothing came out of Patti suddenly mentioned in 1996.. why didn't TPTB bring her back then? strange. 

and the whole Nikki forgetting in 1993 the havoc Eve caused in the 80's??? ridiciulus and insulting to loyal fans of the show 

3 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

In his defense, as far as retcons go, those were minor.
But we do know that Bell was comfortable proactively deciding to pretend a story he wrote and later regretted never happened (see Dru/Malcolm/Lily's paternity).

The Eve retcon was huge IMO and the most bizarre of them all. Eve was central to so many key Victor/Nikki moments and at the time Cole was introduced, it wasn't that long ago. It's odd that they took one element of the story, of course Cole potentially being Victor's son, but nothing else. Eve had such rich history with Victor and Nikki and it was all wasted. You can even keep her on her death bed, but imagine how much more interesting it would've been to see her show some regret over her past actions.

5 hours ago, asafi said:

I wonder why nothing came out of Patti suddenly mentioned in 1996.. why didn't TPTB bring her back then? strange. 

and the whole Nikki forgetting in 1993 the havoc Eve caused in the 80's??? ridiciulus and insulting to loyal fans of the show 

Weren't there claims that they didn't bring Patty back because the actress had weight issues or something.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

Weren't there claims that they didn't bring Patty back because the actress had weight issues or something.

SOD ran a blind item around that time that a;luded to a show planning to bring back a popular character only to find that the actress was now considerably larger.

It seemed to be referring to Lilibet Stern, but when this was mentioned here in the past, other posters claimed there has been other stories published around that time that she was working in nursing and had not gained weight.

Edited by Paul Raven
7 hours ago, Chris B said:

The Eve retcon was huge IMO and the most bizarre of them all. Eve was central to so many key Victor/Nikki moments and at the time Cole was introduced, it wasn't that long ago. It's odd that they took one element of the story, of course Cole potentially being Victor's son, but nothing else. Eve had such rich history with Victor and Nikki and it was all wasted. You can even keep her on her death bed, but imagine how much more interesting it would've been to see her show some regret over her past actions.

Yeah. Fair enough.
Because we were talking at the same time as Cricket not knowing about Patty, my instinct was to lump the two types of "not remembering" retcons but I agree that the Eve one was considerably more problematic.

Posted (edited)

I found Christine not knowing about Jack & Patty strange too. It's similar to Brad explaining Sheila's misdeeds to Michael in 2005 despite Michael having been on the show in the early 90s. It really speaks to the old show's charachters isolation, its habit of not mentioning past storylines and randomly disregarding characters and history. 

Edited by ironlion