Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I know, the book cover make it look like fanfic, but here's an explanation that it's based on the actual show...

https://watercoolerjournal.com/the-innovative-the-ignored-a-critical-reflection-of-the-young-the-restless-transmedia-strategy/

"The Pioneer Communications series of books began publication in 1986, ten years later. Like the Bantam Books that came before, this second series of novellas offered consumers an expanded glimpse into past events. By then, The Young & the Restless had been on the air for thirteen years, and had aired approximately 2,470 hours of brand new, non-repeating storytelling. Numerous characters had come and gone, and, with such changes,  the  show’s  core-families evolved (the Brooks and Fosters were phased out in favor of the Newmans and Abbotts). For many viewers, the various couplings and un- couplings that came with this evolution made it hard to keep up. For instance, audiences may have forgotten (or never known) that before the Nikki Newman character was firmly ensconced in a love-quadrangle  with  the  show’s  two  leading  men  of  the  1980s,  she  actually spent two years married into a different core-family (the Fosters). Columbia Pictures and Pioneer Communications sought to bridge this gap in the only way open to them in the pre-Internet days: print-media.

• Members

I haven't read these ones but do have some others--I have the three AMC ones from 1980 that covered 1970s storylines by romance novelist Rosemarie Santini: Tara and Philip, The Lovers, and Erica.  Apparently these started the trend.  Santini isn't a great writer but she's not bad either and they're a fun, quick read that seem to stick closely to the original scripts.  (They go for 20 or so bucks even used so I better make sure I still have my copies as I haven't seen them since I moved in the Summer    https://www.amazon.com/Agnes-Nixons-Children-Book-Philip/dp/0515048925/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544916269&sr=1-2

In the mid 80s/late 80s Pioneer Books launched their Soaps and Serials label (they were a romance book publisher too) I have one of their Y&R books and that seemed to be their most successful with 7 or 8 volumes, but they did a LOT of soaps.  I have their OLTL one, and I think in the back it advertises ones for GL, etc...

• Members

Good find! None of those names ring a bell. I went and looked through all the SOD synopses from that time period, but none of those names popped up, so I guess they were all very minor characters.

Very cool! For the YR Soaps/Serials book you have, what name/number is it?

I'm surprised to see that the YR soap/serials cover stories as late as '80/'81!

Here's #12 "Paradise Found", which has this description, which is definitely from Kay's story in late 1980: "Kay had cover to love the simple way of life on this lush, deserted island: no games, no pretenses, no pressures. Just days spent swimming and gathering tropical fruit...and nights spent in the powerful arms of Felipe. At last, Kay had found her own paradise."

https://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Found-Young-Restless-12/dp/1557262519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544925439&sr=8-1&keywords=young+and+the+restless+pioneer

#13 "Passion's Pride" has this description, which would be the Victor/Michael/Julia triangle from the first half of 1981 ""What do you want?: Michael demanded. "I'll tell you what I want, man to man." Victor learned forward, a fierce intensity burning in his eyes. "I want my pride and dignity restored-- even if it costs you your life!"

https://www.amazon.com/Passions-Pride-Young-Restless-13/dp/1557262527/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544925762&sr=8-2&keywords=young+and+the+restless+pioneer

And here is #14 "Free Spirit", which doesn't have a description, but from the cover image, it is clearly the beginning of Victor and Nikki from late 1981

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Spirit-Young-Restless-14/dp/1557262535/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1544925439&sr=8-6&keywords=young+and+the+restless+pioneer

Edited by yrfan1983

• Members

I wish! I’ve been wanting to relive her time as Gloria as well but I can’t find anything beyond her first scene. She was *so* good as Gloria I hate she left. She brought such depth to the role, she was darker and despite being very humorous I loved that she wasn’t a joke like Judith Chapman’s cartoonish take. Letting Joan go was one of the biggest mistakes they ever made. She was so good with Christian LeBlanc and Greg Rikaart.