• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I really wish we could find episodes from 1979, as it's been 40 years since that explosive (and the best IMHO) year of the show! Also, I wish we could find the episodes dated May 26-June 1, 1989 dealing with Phillip III's death since the 30th anniversary of that is coming up as well.

• Members

Have y’all heard this Kay Alden interview: https://m.soundcloud.com/casey-hutchison-450535820/kay-alden-interview

Its a damn shame the interview was handled by someone who seemed to lack knowledge of the show and basic interview skills. Particularly when they go into the most recent stint she started to get into interesting things but there would be dead air and he’d go back to his question that had no relation to what she was saying. No follow up. She mentioned how the Tessa/Mariah didn’t work out when they were writing it. My question is why? Was it network interference? Instead they follow up with what her story plans for JT’s return, something that had absolutely nothing to do with her.  Something interesting is that when asked if she or Sally would return, she wouldn’t go into details but she pretty clearly said they wouldn’t ask either to come back. Not so much they wouldn’t return, but they knew they wouldn’t be asked. It makes me so interested to hear about the type of network interference they must’ve gone through. For most soap writers that would be normal, but for Kay working under Bill Bell I can imagine how that would be jarring. 

• Members

The audio quality was poor, and it could have used a lot of trimming of dead air and Kay’s constant stammering. And, as you said, no follow up at all. He just stubbornly adhered to his list of questions instead of letting a conversation flow naturally. Perhaps certain topics were agreed in advance as off-limits due to NDAs or what-have-you, but the interviewer ignored a lot of interesting threads. Kay told some great stories (like her relationship with the Bells), but all in all it was a frustrating, tedious listen.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I posted the interview in the monthly Y&R thread, but this thread is probably the better place for it.

While the interviewer lacked necessary skills, this was one of the most informative I have heard from KA. She clearly gets digs in at previous regimes, especially with regard to that dumbarse Jill music box story, the killing of John Abbott, and the Sheila fiascos. KA and SSM revisited the music box to bring closure to Jill and Kay/Phillip. They also wanted to bring back John Abbott, but too much time had passed and doing a Bobby Ewing would have been too convoluted. With regard to Sheila, KA says that she’s glad that Brad Bell basically wiped the slate clean of 2007-12 Sheila, but that there were no plans in 2017 to address Sheila’s Y&R status.

It seemed to me that KA maintains a good relationship with SSM, despite reports that stated otherwise around the time of their departure. It also appeared that KA has a decent relationship with Mal Young, whose stories and other approaches she complimented. Though she does not explicitly state it, in my reading between the lines, she blames Angelica McDaniel (and likely Steve Kent) for the larger problems with the show.

I am glad that KA was able to return in 2016 as it seemed to give her peace after the BS that went down with LML. Though she doubts she would be asked back, she DID say that she could and would consult on specific stories. I do wonder if she consulted on some stories, particulary under MAB, JG, and Jelly. But the interviewer never asked. I wish there could be a followup.

• Members

It’s definitely cool that more “master tapes” are coming forward, but I do wonder if there would be a way to convert this cassette? 

Does Kay have a stutter/speech problem of some sorts? I could totally understand her responses but she did stammer quite a bit...I also think she could have been doing other things while trying to talk or she’s just having a harder time remembering.

either I thought the interview was very informative, and I love how Kay still has a passion for daytime, and keeps up with the show...but I think a lot more could have been discussed...I wish the interviewer had maybe asked about Kay and Jill as mother/daughter since Kay was still on the writing team even if it was Jack Smith’s idea...I would have also asked about how she feels about the Doug Davidson situation, and maybe where Her and Sally were really going with the Dina stuff.

• Members

I’ve heard previous interviews with Kay, and I never noticed she had such a pronounced stammer. Granted, those interviews were ages ago, so she could have acquired it over the years. And perhaps she was having trouble remembering or trying to be precise with her words (she is a writer, after all). Or she was trying to be diplomatic about difficult topics. Who knows?

I just know, having done my share of editing podcasts and audio interviews over the years, he should have edited a lot of that out. It was extremely distracting and annoying. I’m not saying he should have the precision of an NPR producer (they can make the most inarticulate people sound like they’ve taken elocution lessons—it’s incredible). But it’s easy enough to remove “um’s and ah’s” (in a natural way) in Audacity or Garage Band even.

I just hope Kay is open to more interviews. She seemed to be fond of this particular interviewer in spite of our criticisms, but he was also pretty sycophantic. I know @EricMontreal22 interviewed her for his thesis, so maybe she’s pretty accessible, but I’m sure there’s a lot she won’t divulge.

Edited by Faulkner