Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Yes! JVA was hauntingly effective in the role. Gloria’s every move and every tic were calculated and meaningful in JVA’s hands. While I love Judith Chapman, her Gloria is really a different character. I did not know how I would get used to JC’s flamboyance after JVA’s performances. I could see JC as new money, but never the trashy mama JVA portrayed. Even if JVA had stayed beyond her initial few months and survived through hack LML (assuming they made amends), I don’t think that she could have handled the even faster pace of production that Y&R would eventually fall victim to in the late 2000s/early 2010s. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

From a few days ago, regarding the Soaps & Serials paperbacks published by Pioneer:

There were seven shows originally covered: Y&R, DAYS, GL, ATWT, AW, Dallas, and Knots Landing, and they all started in 1986, all shipped together to bookstores (I worked for Waldenbooks during these years so I saw them all). Each of those ran for 14 volumes, and IIRC, they came out monthly. Toward the end they added GH, OLTL, and AMC and released the first two volumes of each as a double sized pb. I think there were #3s of these three but then the whole line was cancelled. 

It's not clear to me exactly how faithful they are to the original scripts/storylines. I definitely remember that the novelized ATWT scene where Ellen kills the blackmailing housekeeper Frannie was nothing like the actual episode which I had watched at the Paley Ctr. It probably varied somewhat from writer to writer (I suspect many of them were writing under pseudonyms).

• Members

I remember some posters commenting on a long gone message board that the Dallas books differed a bit from what took place on the series. Someone said it was implied that J.R was Lucy's father since he attacked Valene at one point. I'm not sure since I have never read the books. 

A lot of those old book series from years ago had multiple writers using pseudonyms. That woman who created that Sweet Valley High series that girls went nuts over back in the 80's was written by various ghost writers and she got all the credit. 

• Members

Why can't we ever episodes of y&r from the beginning years like I know it's hard to find but damn I'm sure those are the good vintage days of that shows time

I also am interested to see who interacted with who before the shift changed forever in the early 80's 

• Members

It would be nice if one of these days someone came out with a whole playlist of complete Y&R years from like 1982-present (but I would only watch 82-05, LOL) 
Hell Days has uploads on twitter from like 1984-present

btw it seems our friend pannoni 4 found a new home to upload his videos...it's a site called "archive.org" which I guess might have been various youtube videos no longer found on the regular site, but it also seems to be a good place for uploading material that needs to be "protective" he's uploaded some 1984 Days episodes so far.

https://archive.org/details/@pannoni4

I did some searching on the site and stumbled upon a video that has various soap episodes from January 20, 1994....some of the ABC lineup but Y&R from that date was included too!
https://archive.org/details/ScienceandSoapOperas

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Yikes, we cannot start as late as 1982; we would miss the GLORIOUS first decade of the show, when Bill Bell's talent was at its zenith. 1973-77 were the show's very best years of all time, IMHO! :)

I love archive.org. I've found all sorts of wonderful treats there that I have never been able to find anywhere else.

When the Soaps & Serials novelizations first came out, I eagerly started to devour them, but was really disappointed with the mediocre writing, and how the authors played fast and loose with the soaps' history. I remember thinking while reading the books, "Well THAT is not how it happened! THAT is wrong!" It drove me crazy. I realize that the writers probably had to churn out the S&S novels very quickly, and probably did not have access to all the original scripts to make the books accurate, but as a reader, I found them unsatisfying.

• Members

Just a little tidbit of information, a script was just posted on a Y&R group I'm in of Brenda Dickson's first final episode. It was episode #1730 and it aired Wednesday, January 9, 1980. The producer's notes at the end state it is "Brenda's final episode". Now if only we could get our hands on it!

Please register in order to view this content

It was taped on December 21, 1979.

Here's the script:

• Members

Bless your heart!! what a great Christmas gift!! Reading the script definitely made me feel as if I was watching the episode! And great to have a final airdate  for Brenda as well!

What is the name of the  Y&R group?

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

I'm so glad you liked it! It's a Facebook group called "The Young and The Restless: The Classic Years". It focuses on the first 10 years of the show. It's really a great group! I really would love to find episodes or even compilations from 1979-January 9, 1980 featuring Jill and Kay and the storylines surrounding them. Finding something like that would be a goldmine!

• Members

Ah ok, I've heard of that group! unfortunately I'm kind of weird about joining any soap FB group, because there's certain people I know who don't know I watch soaps....I know that sounds a little silly, but I'm kind of sensitive in that regards! LOL 

But that script was surely a treat and that was nice of them to acknowledge it was Brenda's last at the time, and wanted to give her a warm ending....I'm sure 7 years later it was quite the opposite....

I know some of the tape stuff was shown on the episode at Paley, but I'm not sure of the specifics? so there were two recordings of Jill and Derek I presume? one where he professes his love to Katherine (that's in the episode you just posted) and one where it looks like Jill and Derek were going behind Kay's back (and I guess was the one Katherine thought she was going to play for everyone) 

Brock calling Liz "Mom Foster" is such a Bill Bell line...

was the private detective Brock hired Carl? I know this was around the time he first came on with Mary.

• Members

Apparently Brock was trying to get Kay to realize that Derek was up to no good with Jill and that he was only in love with Kay for her money. So he tape recorded Jill and Derek's conversation of them trying to plan ways to manipulate Kay in order to get their hands on her money. Well, from what I can piece together, Jill and Derek caught wind and made a tape themselves of Derek claiming to love Kay and ending it with Jill. Derek and Jill then hired Douglas Austin to crack the safe and replace Brock's tape with their own tape in order to manipulate Kay even more into believing that Derek really loves her, putting themselves closer to the money. Well the night that this private tape-playing event took place, they were hoping that it was the tape they had made, and to their delight, that was just what it turned out to be.

Edited by ltm1997
removing

• Members

Noticing that GH is airing classic episodes on holidays these days. It would be amazing if Y&R and B&B would follow suit. It would be awesome to see the Bill Bell era on tv again. Y&R is really a here and now show as it hardly mentions alot of past charachters and moments like Veronica Landers, or Mari Jo Mason, or Rex Sterling.