Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

What did you think of Cooper? Why was he replaced?

I remember hearing about the meeting, and wasn't there the traech thing. I keep wondering what might have been with characters like Lorie and Jill seriously interacting (of course this was when they were quasi-heroines wasn't it?).

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Jeff wasn't strong enough to Lead (though LaDue wasn't either).

By the time Stuart & Jill married Lorie & Leslie had their own issues as did Chris.

Peggy was NOT happy about Jill & they had a couple of really good scenes together but a lot of that was unfortunately dropped once Katherine "died" & Jill became obsessed with Derek. Again.

It wasn't until JLB left that Jill really became Y&R's Lead vixen though (which she had pretty much grown into by the time she married John).

• Members

I'm curious but how did Vanessa herself think about the whole Lorie/Lance/Leslie/Lucas quad? I know she always hated Lorie, but what where her feelings towards Leslie? How exactly did Leslie leave the show?

Was Jill/Derek/Katherine as somewhat odd as when Rex left Katherine/Marge to marry Jill? Did Katherine ever have feelings for John beyond friendship during the blackmail years of 1984-86?

• Members

Vanessa hated them both but saw Leslie as the lesser of two evils.

Leslie left by going on a concert tour in Europe.

No.

Jill & Rex was based on real feelings (though more from Jill than Rex) whereas Katherine & Derek only remained together via guilt, her neediness & his greed.

Nope.

Despite being friends since they were younger they remained platonic (except the skinny dipping)

• Members

This isn't from memory but reading some old newspaper articles. Apparently Derek was introduced in 1976, I have no memory of that. This was when Cooper was playing him and Kay was dating Ralph Olsen. They started the same story that took place a year later but it was dropped, I wish I could find the article because it states there were behind the scenes drama that led to the story being scrapped.

As for Vanessa, in the beginning she only liked Leslie because she wasn't Laurie and she was married and Vanessa felt there was no possibility of her getting together with Lance. The truth is Vanessa didn't want any woman to have Lance, she wanted him all to herself. I think she might have warmed to Leslie and maybe even accepted her in Lance's life, she didn't seem too upset when she realized that Leslie was pregnant with Lance's baby. Although her happiness probably had more to do with ruining Lance and Laurie's marriage.

I'd say if Leslie and Lance really got together Vanessa would have been just as upset.

Edited by supes81

• Members

Yeah John and Kay did not have a history when he was first on the show, that was definitely written in later, though I am pretty sure by the time Dina arrived it was clear she was friends with both Dina and John and that was in 1983.

Also thanks again CarlD2 for the synopsis, great reading this stuff and remembering the show this way seeing as we can't watch it.

Edited by supes81

• Members

At the time of the Jill/Stuart marriage, Patricia Everly was playing Peggy. Pam Peters returned when the show went to an hour.

Agree with the anti Derek camp. OK maybe Kay could find him desirable (desperate for attention) but Jill could do better. LaDue literally was dressed in a white polo shirt and tight white jeans,in every scene,which was supposed to be sexy but missed the mark by a mile.

i don't recall ever seeing the much talked about 'Golden Comb' beauty salon. Was it ever shown?

Also,Caleb stoddard is listed in some books as the first Derek. Does this tie in with Supes post about an earlier attempt to begin this story?

• Members

It does seem odd that Derek stayed on for a few years there. I'd love to see the duel he had with Douglas over Katherine.

Thanks. Being so young I thought Jill/Rex/Katherine was fun it wasn't later I read criticism of it (ie Katherine and Jill fighting over another man). From all those clips of the infamous blackmail story I had just wondered if Katherine had any ulterior motives of blackmailing Jill with the photos aside from 1. her hatred of Jill, to see Jill be miserable 2. being a friend of John to protect him from Jill. Whatever the reason, it was a brilliant move by Bell to have Lindsay sell the photos to Katherine.

• Members

Jill, Rex & Katherine were awesome since Jess had really begun to make the character her own by that point.

And for all "criticism" Katherine & Jill fighting (when written well) will never get old.

THAT is how an umbrella story is supposed to be work (one that lasts YEARS & has repercussions for DECADES).