Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Found my September 1977 Digest recap. I guess this would be a few months before what you mentioned, Paul Raven?

Ron, successful in getting Nancy out of the hospital and under his care at home, is pumping her with an overdose of medicine to enhance her appearance when the lawyer visits. He cares nothing about Nancy, he's merely using her to get their daughter back from Chris and Snapper. The overdose required to force her prematurely out of her catatonic state is deadly, but no one but Ron knows he's doing it, and he doesn't care. When the lawyer visits, he's impressed with her "improvement" and her requests for her child, and tells Ron they have a good chance of getting Karen back, if he can rent a suitable apartment. Luck is on Ron's side. His mother scraped together $925 for him...

Jody confesses to Brock she's pregnant. Greatly concerned, he and Chris persuade her to consult Snapper for pre-natal care, and Brock visits her mother, hoping to track down the boy who caused Jody's pregnancy. When he does, he finds a young man, all set for college in the fall, and unaware of Jody's condition...

Cynthia continues to fantasize about a relationship with Snapper. And Jill's unfulfilled, unspoken longing for Derek is becoming increasingly difficult for her to deal with. Her mother suspects, and, finally, so does David. But David, deeply in love with Jill, confronts her gently, telling her he understands and will wait it out. Jill continues to see Derek at work, and who knows what will develop in the off-hours.

A DECLARATION OF LOVE

Derek, meanwhile, continues his private at-home salon sessions with Kay. She finds herself increasingly attracted to him, and begins calling him to do her hair more frequently...A deep need has to be filled, and that wins out when Derek suggests she invite him to dinner at home one night. A sensuous evening ensues, with gigolo overtones: She speaks of the pleasures he can give her and the rewards she can give him for his services...

Joann attends Jack's graduation. He offers her his dissertation, dedicated to her, and also a renewed proposal of marriage. Joann, though touched, turns him down.

Van persuaded Lance the business in Chicago would progress much better if he were there. He finally agrees, and asks Lorie to accompany him. Van immediately says she needs Lorie for company, when, in fact, she plans to shoot her. Lorie agrees to stay, but as the night grows, Van becomes more erratic. They quarrel, and Lorie storms out. She seeks Brad for comfort. When she decides to return home, Brad agrees to accompany her, but she leaves first as he has to pick up his tapes. In doing so, he hears the tape of Leslie protesting he merely hit her purse, not her, and it dawns on Brad that he hit Leslie...He now feels that he, in fact, killed their baby...

THE WRONG ONE!

Vanessa's murderous plan has come to a horrifying conclusion. It's not Lorie who she shoots in the darkened room, but Lance. Luckily, the two bullets she fired in the dark did not do too much damage to her son. Lance is going to be alright. Vanessa's burden is lessened by this knowledge but she still fears what will happen when Lance finds out it was she who shot him. He'll surely never forgive her...and she couldn't go on living without her son's love.

Vanessa then goes to Lorie and begs her daughter-in-law to tell Lance she was the one who shot him. He'll forgive her anything. He'll never doubt her story that she thought he was a burglar. Lorie is sickened and shocked by Vanessa's request (after all, the woman was plotting to kill her!) but she gives in after Vanessa adds that in return for this cover-up, she'll leave the house and get a place of her own. Lorie will then have Lance completely to herself.

Vanessa's assumption about her son's character is proved correct. He does forgive his wife. Lorie then counts the minutes until Vanessa packs her bags...but the hoped for outcome of her lie is not destined to become a reality.

Vanessa tells Lance about her plans to leave their home and her son immediately vetoes the idea and says he can't let her do that. She's not yet ready to stand on her own. Vanessa then shudders. She greatly fears Lorie's reaction to this news.

Pumped full of drugs, Nancy appears very sane when Mr. Johnson, Ron's attorney, pays a visit to her and Ron's new apartment. Mr. Johnson surveys the whole scene and then tells Ron alright, they can now go to court. Ron smiles. Pretty soon, he'll have custody of Karen.

Brock tells the very pregnancy Jodie that he saw her baby's father. Jodie immediately has high hopes that Tom might be able to help her. She calls him and asks him to come to Genoa City.

DASHED HOPES

Tom doesn't have the maturity to deal with the situation. He flips out after Jodie tells him she's pregnant. Jodie then realizes she'll have to handle the situation on her own.

---

Any of you have any memories of Jodie, Tom, or this David? I didn't know Jill was ever with someone named David (aside from Kimball).

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Jodie was a pregnant teen that Brock befriended,It was a heavy handed teen message storyline that played over Summer. David was a nice guy involved with Jill,as an alternative to Derek.

I think Jodie was played by Cynthia Eilbacher who later played April.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

David Mallory was a man who received a cornea transplant or something from Bill Foster Sr. Jill was engaged to him but fell for Derek. Jodie and Tom I don't remember.

Thanks for the synopsis. I am pretty sure this is June. It seems when SOD was monthly they were about three months behind.

Edited by supes81

• Members

Thanks. So GL wasn't the first show to have a story about falling for the person who got a transplant from your deceased parent. Does anyone know who played David?

I hope you hadn't seen the Janice Lynde interview before, I thought you might enjoy it.

Thanks for figuring out the proper date. I am terrible at that.

I have one somewhere from December 1977 Digest, which I guess would be September in real time...? I will put it up when I find it again.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Oh yes, sorry I hadn't read it, thank you so much for that, just finished reading it now, was so sad when she left the show or was fired as was reported at the time. I really appreciate the effort you go through to put this stuff up.

I admit I was one of the silly ones who wondered if Janice played the piano or if it was someone else. My mother had to point out that they never show the hands if the actor isn't really playing, thanks mom.

Not sure if this was the first transplant/love story as I didn't watch any other soaps, but it was definitely new to me.

• Members

When I saw it I thought that you'd enjoy it so I'm glad you got to read it. I never knew that about the hands either. She seemed to have a very interesting background - I never knew she was in so many major plays.

Thankfully I think the whole organ of a dead parent thing was rare...when GL did it (with Michelle Bauer looking for the person who got her mother's heart and finding a guy named Jesse she went on to date) it always seemed kind of stupid and strange.

I wonder if they had any other plans to keep this David around or if he was just filling time.

It's hard to believe Katherine and Jill spent, what, 2-3 years fighting over Derek?

I didn't know Janice was on Six Feet Under. I didn't like anything with Arthur so I wasn't paying close attention to most of his stories.

http://www.janicelynde.org/More-About.html

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

It was a very sweet story but Bill never had plans for it.

At the time he was slowly trying to make Jill a Lead which he did with Derek & Stuart.

Nope.

Beau Kayser (like Earl Hindman) struggled with onscreen romantic relationships.

Exactly.

Especially given Joe LaDue was NOT sexy. At all.

Edited by DeeeDee