Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thank you supes for that scan.Great interview. It would have been interesting if the show had kept to the theme of rich and poor families. Bell did that with the Williams and Abbotts, but the Williams got lost along the way and Paul became fairly successful. Having a poorer,working class family opens up a lot of story possibilities -as Bell obviously believed.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

CarlD2 thanks. Any summaries are welcome. They jog the memory and I don't see a lot of 70's or 80's summaries so that would be great.

I had heard that Bell had wanted to take the show off but CBS refused because they had nothing to replace it with, then the show became a bigger hit. Not sure if that is true or not.

Paul, yeah I miss Y&R of the 70's, I think the first ten years were the best, though I enjoyed it up until around 1999 then I became a casual viewer, by 2003 I stopped watching. Maybe it is just me but I couldn't handle Kay being Jill's mother.

I also read a synopsis in an old newspaper that stated that when the show first started the Henderson's were to be the other core family and the Fosters a third family of minor characters. Since Bruce was a doctor it would mean you would have had two wealthy or well to do families and one struggling family, though this conflicts with Bell's assertion that he had the class struggle in mind from the beginning. Though Bruce did turn up in the first year. Though I didn't start watching until Nov of that year.

That begs the question, are there any monthly summaries of the first year? I know Bryna Laub was the only one doing that sort of thing and I read somewhere that she didn't get Y&R straight away in her area.

• Members

Courtesy of French Fan March 75

Snapper was uptight thinking about the letter from his father requestin a visit. Chris came across the typed letter and thinking it may be from Sally, opened it. She assumed Snapper contacted his father. Snapper was ready to tell Liz but he noticed Sam had brought a smile on ther face and tear up the letter.

Gwen had donated the money she made as a prostitute to an orphanage run by Sister Theresa, a Mexican nun. Greg told Gwen how much in need of money they were and she persuaded an old "customer" to help. Then, she convinced Sister Theresa she could become a nun. Greg visited her and wished her well. When Chris saw Greg ask the Sisters to pray for his father, she told him about the letter and thought she remembered the letterhead saying "Regis". She was indeed confusing with "Regent". Liz cancelled a date with Sam when she remembered it was her wedding anniversary but Sam convinced her she had to live for the present.

Kay's luncheon for Jill and Liz was successful in that it made Liz feel sorry for her but it convinced Phillip Kay was weel enough to be asked for a divorce. Phillip and Jill both agreed that Jill could no longer work for Kay. Kay persuaded her to give two weeks notice hoping it would be enough time to avert the divorce she was sure Phillip would ask for. Liz tried to convince Jill she could not built a happy marriage on another woman's misery. Kay then offered Jill a college education at a good eastern school. Lorie was three months behind in her rent since Stuart disowned her and asked Phillip for a loan.

Jennifer's daughters were concerned about her. Stuart called Bruce inadverbtenly giving him the information he needed: Jennifer's destination, Key Biscayne, Florida. Lorie showed up at Leslie's thinking Leslie would have joined their mother and she'd gave Brad for herself. Mark tried to make Stuart aware that he should convince Jennifer how much he needed her. Bruce found Jennifer and told her he would leave if she wanted him to but she invited him saying she was lonely. After several days, she decided to ask Stuart a divorce. Lorie called Mark to discuss the situation forcing him to break a date with Peggy. Peggy found Mark at Lorie's and she broke down crying convinced her sister wanted to steal Mark from her. Leslie found out Jennifer was in Florida with Bruce and decided to fly there but was stopped by Lorie who said Jennifer was back and wanted to see the girls. She said them she would ask for a divorce. Stuart said Brad he wanted him to take over more responsibility so that he could fill the void in Jennifer's life. Brad and Sam found Stuart unconscious on his office floor soon later. Brad massaged Stuart's heart on the way to hospital and saved his life. Snapper was impressed and realized Brad was a doctor.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

And March 74

Sally told Pierre she agreed they should sell the restaurant and move to Paris. She added Snapper did not know about the child. However, Sally and Pierre were robbed and Pierre struggled with him when he tried to take Sally hostage. Pierre was injured and at hospital, did not respond to the neurological tests Brad gave him. He suddenly died. Marianne Meulot, Pierre’s sister arrived from France and vowed over Pierre’s body that Sally would pay. She told Sally she had no right to the restaurant and tried to throw her out. Stuart was upset to see Snapper comforing Sally and told Jen he did not trust Snapper. Marianne was furious when Pierre’s will indicated Sally was the sole heir of the restaurant and made an appointment to see Stuart.

Jill was ecstatic over her new job but realized Kay had a drinking problem. When Kay’s husband, Phillip Chancellor begged Kay to stop drinking, she refused. Jill was discouraged at Kay’s lack of response to their efforts.

Gwen Sherman, Greg’s mystery client, told him all she wanted from her aunt’s estate was money. She turned down Greg’s date invitations because he did not know dating men was her profession.

Lorie was using her book manuscript to take Brad away from Leslie. When Leslie triumphaly returned from her piano debut, Lorie had prearranged a date with Brad which hurt Leslie to the core. Lorie told Brad that Leslie felt a muscian could not divide herself between a husband and a career. When Leslie confronter her sister, she said Brad was helping her with her writing. At Brad’s suggestion, Leslie got him a ticket for her Detroit concert but Lorie managed to detour the ticket. Against his wished, Brad began thinking of the things Barbara never told him that drove him out of Chicago and of the operating room.

• Members

Thanks for that Paul Raven, it is great to read the old stuff. I should do a big search on here to see what else I can find.

What did Jill do for her first year on the show?

I can barely remember what was going on in Nov 73, though it makes sense that Jill only got her job with Kay in 1974 as I remember that happening when I was watching.

• Members

Not sure if this had been posted before but I think this thread should be the one place for classic Y&R

SOD synopsis for around October 77

Ron is slapped with a subpoena. He immediately calls his lawyer, Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson first asks Ron if it’s true that he took Karen and when Ron responds in the positive, Mr. Johnson zaps him. He tells Ron he’ll most likely be sent to jail. The judge warned him he’d be cited for contempt if he went near Karen and Ron chose to disobey this warning. He’ll now have to pay the consequences for his actions.

This news is too much for Ron to bear. He feels his world begin to collapse around him. He can’t go to jail. If he’s incarcerated he’ll never see his sweet young daughter again. He doesn’t want to go on living if he can’t see Karen. Ron then swallows a poisonous substance. His mother Marion later finds him unconscious on the floor. She calls the only doctor she knows: Snapper Foster. Snapper rushes to the apartment not knowing the son the woman is talking about is Ron Becker. At first, Snapped refuses to treat Ron, but Marion convinces him saying he should do it for Karen’ sake. She adores her father. Snapper does all he can and then tells Marion, Ron is hanging on to life by a very thin thread.

Liz finds out from Jill that Derek is the young man with whom Mrs. Chancellor is in love. Liz confronts Kay and urges her not to fight Jill for this man. She has to remember what happened when they fought over her deceased husband Phillip. Kay will not be swayed. She tells Liz she loves the man and she’ll fight for him with every breath in her body.

It looks like Kay is in for a very though fight. Derek seems to be falling for Jill, not her. Derek tells Jill she has come to mean a lot to him. He proves how much by going to see Kay and urging her to resolve her past differences with Jill – bury the past. He cares about Jill. He doesn’t want her to suffer anymore.

Will Kay listen to Derek? Let’s hope she does.

Lorie picks up the newspaper. On the front page there’s a huge headline and lengthy report about a major Hong Kong hotel fire. There’s also a photo of one of the fire’s victims: a badly burned young man. Lorie’s heart quickens and skips a beat. She runs and grabs the Prentiss family album. She pulls out a picture of Lucas, Lance’s younger – and long missing – brother. Could it be? Could the man in the photo be Lucas? She shows the photo to Lance and Vanessa. They don’t see the resemblance – but that in no way squelches her suspicions. When Lorie feels she’s right; she feels she’s right. She goes to see her father, the editor of the newspaper. She tells Stu of her suspicions and asks him to get the original photo. Stu tells his daughter he feels she’s getting her hopes up for nothing, but he’ll help her get the photo anyway. Lorie then points out that the man in the photo seems to have a tattoo like the one Lucas has. She’ll be able to tell for sure once she gets the original photo.

REBORN???

Ron’s suicide attempt has failed. He’s going to be okay. He opens his eyes and sees his mother leaning over his bed. Marion is gently caressing his face and telling him how much she loves him, and how she never meant to make him feel unloved as a child. Ron reaches out to his mother and hugs her. She returns the embrace, flooding Ron with her long repressed love. His mother’s confession seems to have given Ron a new lease on life. He no longer seems to think of himself as such a nothing. He may be about to leave his past behind him. The evil person seems to have left his body with the poison. Ron feels reborn.

Leslie’s divorce from Brad is going to be final in about a week. Brock realizes this and tells Leslie what’s on his mind and in his heart. Tenderly he touches her face and says, “Leslie, I love you.” Leslie tells Brock she isn’t ready for an involvement, but when she is he could definitely be the man.

The doctor starts to remove the bandages. Anxiously observing this procedure is beautiful R.N., Cynthia Harris. Her heart leaps to her throat as she hears Brad jubilantly should, “I can see!” Cynthia’s joy is genuine…but tainted. She loves the man. His regaining his sight means she has lost him. He’ll now be returning to his wife Leslie. Before returning to Genoa City, Cynthia tells Brad of her love. Brad tells Cynthia she’s a sensitive, caring woman and he’s glad she was there when he needed someone.

Will Cynthia follow Brad’s doctor’s request and tell Leslie? She enters The Allegroprepared to do just that, but Leslie’s words to her put a quick end to this dreaded deed. Leslie tells Cynthia her divorce from Brad will be final the next day. Cynthia had no idea Brad was divorcing Leslie. It will now be to her advantage not to say a word…and she doesn’t. Cynthia prays her decision will buy her Brad’s love.

Vanessa overhears Lorie telling an unidentified person on the telephone that she has to get away for a while, without telling Lance exactly where she’s headed. Vanessa assumes Lorie is cheating on Lance. She plots revenge. She calls a certain Mr. Andrews and asks him how she would go about making a book a bestseller. The success of “In Her Sister’s Shadow” is certain to destroy Lorie’s very happy existence.

A VERY WRONG TACTIC

Vanessa should only know it’s the wrong course of action. The person Lorie was talking to was her father, and the person she plans to see is the man in the photo. She got the original photo, but Lorie still isn’t sure the man is Lucas. Rather than disappoint Lance or Vanessa, Lorie is flying to Hong Kong to make certain of the man’s identity. Her subterfuge is being done in the name of love; not adultery.

Jill and Kay agree to put an end to their hostilities. Jill makes it very clear that it’s the only choice they have. If they continue on the same path, neither one of them will get Derek.

Kay offers Joann a job at her and Derek’s soon-to-be-opened styling salon. There will be a health club facility and Joann is the perfect person to head it. Her great weight loss is sure to be an inspiration to many women. Joann accepts the offer. It’s a very happy time in her life.

The nurse leaves, and Lorie slowly enters the man’s hospital room. The young bearded gent opens his eyes. The sight of Lorie’s sexy form lifts is spirits to the skies. He immediately starts flirting with her. Lorie returns the banter, anxious to create an open mood. She has to find out if this man is Lucas. Lorie probes, but the man doesn’t want to talk. He was admitted to the hospital as a John Doe and that’ show he wants to remain. He doesn’t even blink when Lorie says her full name: Lorie Prentiss. He then asks Lorie why exactly she is looking for this Lucas character. Lorie tells him the sad story. She says many years ago Lucas started a fire which left his mother’s face badly scarred and sentenced her a life being a veil. He felt guilty and ran away from home…and has kept running all these years. The reason why she is now so anxious to find Lucas is that she wants to tell him he’s his mother’s only hope. This woman is her mother-in-law, Vanessa Prentiss, and she cares very deeply for her – despite the fact that the woman doesn’t return her affection. Vanessa can now have plastic surgery, but she’ll only do it for Lucas. She wants to relieve him of his guilt. The man still won’t admit he’s Lucas, and Lorie was all set to believe him until the nurse removes the bandage from his arm. It was then that Lorie saw the tattoo! The skull and crossbones with the name “Luke” inscribed underneath. Lorie is now 100% positive that she found her brother-in-law. Lucas is not at all glad to have been found. Lorie leaves the room and he utters a loud “Damn” to the heavens.

Jill tells Derek, Kay is in love with him – but the results of her revelations are not at all to her liking. Derek goes to see Kay and emerges from their encounter even more impressed with the woman. He later tells Jill Kay handled herself with such style, class and strength. Jill should have seen her. He has never admired a woman so much. She didn’t admit she was in love with him, but she didn’t deny it either. She just made it very clear that isn’t the reason she’s giving him his dream. She’s backing his salon because it’s now her dream also. It has given her purpose in life. Jill shudders. She feels Derek’s respect and admiration could turn to love. She could lose him to Kay.

Snapper and Chris are confronted with the new Ron – and it’s quite a shock! They can’t believe what Ron is telling them! He apologizes for all the pain he has caused them and says how he now realizes the best thing for Karen is for her to stay with them. He’s going to help them adopt Karen and then he and his mother are leaving Genoa City. He’ll never bother them again. Chris weeps tears of joy. The nightmare is finally over.

• Members

Re the above synopsis-what happened with Brad & Cynthia? Did Brad simply accept Leslie divorcing him and leave forever?

Did Snapper and Chris return Karen to Nancy? Or did the Beckers all re-unite and leave GC?

Incidentally,Marion (Ron's mother ) was played by Carolyn Conwell who went on to play Mary Williams. Previously she had played a hooker when Jill innocently had a near miss getting involved with prostitution.

• Members

Thanks Paul Raven this is great. I remember very clearly that Ron and Nancy reunited and got custody of Karen and left town, I hated it. Chris fought to keep her, when it was done she was so exhausted emotionally that she left town. I didn't remember Carolyn being on the show before, wow, my memory is bad. I can't imagine her playing a hooker.

Brad I think did just accept defeat with Leslie and left town, maybe there was more to it, but I remember thinking it was a weak ending to a great character.

Edited by supes81

• Members

So when Chris came back that's when she was played by Lynne Topping? Who played her when she came back one last time for Victor/Nikki's wedding?

Where was Nancy at the time of the above recap?

Carolyn Conwell also played a prostitute on Knots Landing. I wish we'd seen more of an edge to Mary.