DRW50

DAYS behind the scenes, articles/photos

4 hours ago, Khan said:

I, too, never understood where his "Queen of the Night" obsession came from.  (Or is it "Lady of the Night"?  I always get it mixed up, lol).  I certainly don't see it in any clips from the '80s.

When Stefano first appeared in Salem, he was obsessed with Julie and in fact had "big plans" for her (according to Pat Falken Smith).  I wish we knew what those plans were and why they were ultimately dropped.

It's Queen of the Night lol.  I always thought that made it sound like Marlena was some sort of Madam in charge of a bunch of call girls.  It just sounds kind of dirty lol.  In the 80's I thought Stefano did have an obsession with Marlena/Roman especially when he kidnapped the twins right before Marlena shot him, BUT I didn't think it was a romantic/lust obsession.  More of "I am obsessed with ruining your life" sorta thing.

Anyway, I think Stefano's romantic infatuation with Marlena began in the 90's after Maison Blanche when she tried to seduce him to save John.  I think that was actually the catalyst to the desire to have her, but it escalated quickly into him sneaking through her boudoir and making vulnerable to the devil.   Gosh just typing that sounded ridiculous.  So I don't think we are supposed to believe it was something that was always there but something that happened later on.  Regardless, it never made much sense.   Especially when he kidnapped her and locked her in a cage in Paris, but wanted her to love him and come to him on her own.  While being HELD CAPTIVE away from her family in a Gold Cage.  Stefano, that is an awful plan.

This also when Stefano became a cartoon.  He was always more OTT than Victor or other Days baddies, but he was scary in the 80's.  From the 90's on he was just a caricature and it just veered into complete ridiculousness.

Whenever I hear Queen of the Night I just end up thinking JER was listening to a lot of Whitney Houston. 

(why we didn't get a montage of the Marlena clones blending in around the world, I don't know)

On 1/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, Khan said:

I've said it before, @KMan101, and I'll say it again: I don't believe JER enjoyed writing for DAYS.  I think he just liked being a HW (instead of a Co-HW or associate/breakdown writer) of a soap opera, period.  And yes, there is a difference, lol.

I've said (almost) all this before as well, but I think it's still do-able, even with their ages and DAYS' general craziness (and piss-poor budget):

1. Bring back WN as Roman.  (WN has said he's willing to return -- but only as Roman, not as that godawful Alex North (who could easily be tossed into the sea of forgetfulness) or another new character).  No elaborate explanations, justifications or motivations for the "un-casting" either.  Just have him appear again as Roman during a normal episode and carry on.

2. Wait a month (or so) and have Josh Taylor return as Chris Kositchek.  Again, no elaborate explanations or nudge-nudge-wink-wink allusions to the fact that he was Roman not too long ago.  (JT could maybe change his hair color temporarily, like Judi Evans did when she first came back as Adrienne after playing Bonnie, but that's as far as anyone would need to go).  Just have Chris walk through the door at the Brady Pub one afternoon; and have Abe, John, Marlena, Roman and whoever else glad to see him again.

3. Use Chris' reason for returning to Salem after all these years -- a new business venture, perhaps?  Something to do with his background as an engineer -- as a way to put him and Kate in each other's orbit.  (Maybe Kate could go to work for him, sparks fly, etc).  Conflict can arise from two sources: Lucas, who never likes any of Kate's men (lol); and Chris' own reluctance to begin a new romance after the implosion of his marriage. 

3a. Mary Frann's dead, and so I'm reluctant to bring back Amanda Howard; Mary Anderson was murdered ages ago; and as for Savannah Wilder...well, do we really need or want Shannon Tweed back, lol?  So, let Chris' ex-wife be someone he met, married and divorced during his years away from Salem.  Get a "name" actress to play the ex-wife.  She doesn't have to be a permanent character, but she does have to be there to try and win back Chris and inadvertently learn/reveal the Big Secret That Will Tear Lucas and Kate Apart -- namely, that Curtis Reed, and NOT Bill Horton, was his biological father.  Kate will turn to Chris, Lucas will turn to the bottle, Chris' ex-wife will turn to stone, etc.

4. Repair the damage JER and others have done to Roman over the years by allowing WN's natural qualities (his down-to-earth charm, his easy-going sense of humor, etc.) to shine again w/ others, especially in scenes with DH/Marlena.  It's not like redeeming a serial killer (hi, Ben!), so just let Roman BE Roman for a change. 

5. Throw in a healthy dose of Roman/Marlena flashbacks to remind (for older viewers) or explain (to newer ones) why the two were such a big deal BITD, as you tease the possibility of a Roman/Marlena reunion.  (Perhaps, John and Marlena could be on the outs for some reason, with it looking like John MIGHT end up with Hope -- not Hope as Princess Gina, but Hope as Hope, or as some post-injection Gina/Hope hybrid).  At the same time, leave open the possibility of Roman ending up with Hattie, with the conflict coming from Hattie's insecurities (she's still afraid that Roman's only interested in her because of her resemblance to "Doc" -- fears that are elevated, now that he and Marlena are growing closer again). 

5a. Since a(nother) Bo Brady resurrection doesn't seem likely, there's a chance John/Hope, which DAYS has been threatening to pull the trigger on since the George W. Bush administration, could ignite, for lack of a better word.  (I certainly believe "Jope" would go over better than "Rope," lol).  True, "Jarlena" will always have their fans.  If written properly, however, with no one's character assassinated all to hell, then a scenario where John ends up with Hope and Roman reunites with Marlena could work. 

5b. Scenario #2 -- where (in my wildest dreams) "Marlena" turns out to be a resurrected, brainwashed Samantha and the REAL Marlena Evans turns up -- also could work.  In this scenario, Marlena Samantha could remain with John, who knows a thing or two about living someone else's life.  He helps her reconnect with herself, they fall in love in the process; and Roman gets back his Doc, who has been away since '87.  Again, if written the right way -- and I do believe even okay writing can cover up a multitude of sins, such as the fact that Dee Hall has a tough time playing Marlena, let alone Marlena and her twin(s) -- it could satisfy the "Jarlena" fans as well as the Roman/Marlena ones.

5c. Scenario #2 also leaves "hope" for Hope to be reunited with Bo, who SHOULD be resurrected.

6. In both scenarios, therefore, Hattie becomes expendable...and dangerous.  She attempts to murder Marlena and take her place, but ends up in the sanitarium, with Marlena (and Samantha) pledging to support their twin.  BUT --

7. If Scenario #1 doesn't pan out, then John can just reunite with Marlena and Roman can find love again with Hattie (I believe Wayne and Dee could sell Roman/Hattie just as well as they sold Roman/Marlena), and Chris/Kate can continue unabated.

All of this would have been possible. I think we're past that point, for the general audience, but who knows? I'd write it in a heartbeat, so they'd want nothing to do with me, lol. I'd be bringing back Hortons left and right.

Roman could have been viable but JER had a ... unique ... way of looking at his canvas. He explains it. I'd love to find those articles, probably buried in here. I think it's short sighted. He's not a character driven writer, yet he gives the characters motivations. He's always been fascinating to me, honestly. And I think frustrating because he can structure a story, he learned from some of the best. But he's so outlandish (especially circa 2002-2007) and it's annoying because it always felt like he "had it in him" to do better than he did.

A *real* writer who cared about the fabric of the show and the characters would have written exactly that: Roman and Marlena find out, painfully, that "you can't always go back again". It really pisses me off we couldn't correct course in 2004/2005 when Wayne was back. But ... Reilly. And Corday's hard-on for Josh Taylor. I agree with you, just have them both re-assume the roles as if nothing happened. It's DAYS. We accept people donating organs and coming back from the dead so ....

Edited by KMan101

18 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

I'd be bringing back Hortons left and right.

Same.  Erika Slezak (or Donna Mills) as the new Dr. Laura Horton!  Michael E. Knight (or a returning Wesley Eure) as the new Dr. Mike Horton!  Larry Bryggman (maybe) as the new Dr. Bill Horton!  Cady McClain as the new (and much more age-appropriate) Sarah Horton!

On 1/21/2020 at 1:47 AM, carolineg said:

It's Queen of the Night lol.  I always thought that made it sound like Marlena was some sort of Madam in charge of a bunch of call girls.  It just sounds kind of dirty lol.  In the 80's I thought Stefano did have an obsession with Marlena/Roman especially when he kidnapped the twins right before Marlena shot him, BUT I didn't think it was a romantic/lust obsession.  More of "I am obsessed with ruining your life" sorta thing.

Anyway, I think Stefano's romantic infatuation with Marlena began in the 90's after Maison Blanche when she tried to seduce him to save John.  I think that was actually the catalyst to the desire to have her, but it escalated quickly into him sneaking through her boudoir and making vulnerable to the devil.   Gosh just typing that sounded ridiculous.  So I don't think we are supposed to believe it was something that was always there but something that happened later on.  Regardless, it never made much sense.   Especially when he kidnapped her and locked her in a cage in Paris, but wanted her to love him and come to him on her own.  While being HELD CAPTIVE away from her family in a Gold Cage.  Stefano, that is an awful plan.

This also when Stefano became a cartoon.  He was always more OTT than Victor or other Days baddies, but he was scary in the 80's.  From the 90's on he was just a caricature and it just veered into complete ridiculousness.

That's where they lucked out having Joe Mascolo playing Stefano. He knew the material he was playing was ridiculous, yet he played it with gusto and a wink to the audience.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, victoria foxton said:

Ouch after this week 😭😭😭

I remember at some point shortly after this, Adrienne calls Jack to tell him she had her baby and named him, Jackson, after him.  This never gets brought up now. 🤦‍♂️

19 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

That's where they lucked out having Joe Mascolo playing Stefano. He knew the material he was playing was ridiculous, yet he played it with gusto and a wink to the audience.

JM was amazing no doubt, but I think the writing really neutered Stefano.  Everyone was deathly afraid of a man that ran an underground midget kingdom in Paris and was obsessed with the local shrink.  It was always an odd choice.

4 hours ago, carolineg said:

Everyone was deathly afraid of a man that ran an underground midget kingdom in Paris and was obsessed with the local shrink.

Not Julie!  She once expressed to "Princess Gina" exactly how I felt about Stefano DiMera; and I believe that woman would have fought him to the depths of hell and back to protect her family.

I was watching the Bill and Susan Hayes Lifetime Award clips and I wonder why Denise Alexander has never returned to Days as Susan even for a short stint ? 

My guess is she was probably never asked, and eventually, Susan just became one of many characters from a forgotten era that the show had little interest in revisiting. 

That, or maybe she had some strong loyalty to GH and the role of Lesley and eventually decided that was going to be the only daytime role she would revisit from time to time. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:05 AM, SoapDope said:

I was watching the Bill and Susan Hayes Lifetime Award clips and I wonder why Denise Alexander has never returned to Days as Susan even for a short stint ? 

I think part of it had to be that era of the show was just so far removed from where they were in 1984.  They were already not using Julie to the point that Susan left the show.  She was in the age group they were underutilizing.  I know she commanded a huge salary, even when she went to AW she was well paid.

She was a big deal on GH, but not a “get” (to the network) like Genie Francis was a couple of years later.

I wish Monty and the network people had let her take the extended vacation she wanted before starting her new contract.  She said she didn’t want more money, she just needed a break.  Lesley should have been vying for Chief of Staff against Alan and Monica for years.  Rick could stay gone though!

What I would love to know is if Bill Bell ever tried to get her for Y&R?  He obviously loved writing for her.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn Bill Bell tried to get Denise Alexander for a role on Y&R or B&B, but couldn't for whatever reason.

Ironically, Ron Carlivati is just the kind of HW who'd find some way to bring DA/Susan Martin back to DAYS if he could.  She could wind up being Evan's grandmother, or something.  You just never know with Ron, lol.