DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Question for viewers who were watching in late '86-early '87 ... I see several front-burner characters were added in a relatively short time (Adrienne, Justin, Jo, Anjelica, Diana, Jack). Was there a definite "new chapter" feeling, especially since the show was also losing some popular characters (Marlena, Bo & Hope), or did it come across smoother than I'm imagining?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think I come from a different perspective because that was actually around the time that I first watched the show, regularly up until around the time that Kayla was dating Shane and a presumed-dead Marlena was on the verge of returning. (I did revisit briefly when Steve came back from the dead.) So, while I saw the intros of those characters you mentioned, I wasn't around for very long before and didn't have the investment or character knowledge longtime viewers did. From my perspective then as a new viewer, I was interested to see these characters that I was able to "get to know" right from the beginning and having them connected with established characters helped me to get to know those characters easier as well. I do remember the show being quite popular during that time, particularly as it began a period of focusing on couples (or creating couples) that the viewers really seemed to enjoy. Steve/Kayla, Kim/Shane, Drake-Roman/Diana, Justin/Adrienne, Mike/April, Jennifer/Frankie...even the pimp Nick Corelli and Eve Donovan, the teenager he got into hooking, were being written as a star-crossed couple and had their fans. I think it was remarked in print at the time how the show had a knack for creating so many "supercouples" with chemistry.

Also, a couple of other factors...I think this was the first soap role for both Genie Francis (Diana) and Judi Evans (Adrienne) since their big successes on their previous soaps (ie, their "returns" to daytime) so I imagine they brought some new fans to the show. Wally Kurth (Justin) was likeable and could sing. There were a number of romantic musical pieces being used for these couples back then. I'm guessing Steve and Kayla were to fill the void of Bo & Hope. They became extremely popular. I mean, from what I was seeing and reading in the mags, viewers seemed to really enjoy this period.

Edited by applcin

• Members

If he did, then he was savvy.  Other EP's would keep a "money couple" Bo and Hope front-and-center and then look stupid when the couple is gone and they have no one to take their place (even though they had months and should've been more prepared).

• Members

This is obviously VERY old, as it has almost been a full decade now (!) since she passed away, but I came across an old write up about a gathering that was held for the Days actors and BTS folks to honor Frances Reid, written by Michael Fairman, who was invited.

It was nice reading all the stories and anecdotes, and I guess many past and present cast at the time had attended. One that I never knew that did - but obviously made sense - was Susan Flannery (Stephanie B&B, ex-Laura, Days). But Crystal Chappell was also there along with a ton of other names listed. It sounded like it was a blast.

Here is the link if you want to read for the first time or reminisce:

https://michaelfairmantv.com/donuts-in-heaven-days-of-our-lives-frances-reid-memorial-tribute/2010/03/29/

• Members

The show/Al Rabin was very clever in that they had already developed Kim and Shane to the point where they were as prominent as Bo and Hope, so even as Bo and Hope were being transitioned out of the show in late 1986, Kim and Shane could easily take up the slack. This also gave Steve and Kayla some time to develop slowly and organically as an offshoot of Bo/Hope, Kim/Shane's storylines before they too would become the focus in 1987.

It's a bit murky in my memories as I was very young at the time and not able to watch every episode but the one transition that I think was a bit jarring was Marlena's exit as she was presumed dead (Orpheus bombed the house), revealed to be alive and then presumed dead again. I remember being quite confused lol. The show had also spent quite a significant portion of the previous year developing her connection with Drake's Roman, only to have to start again with Diana.

The other characters mentioned all had ties to Steve and Kayla and/or Victor and were very much supporting characters until their characters and storylines had developed enough to branch out on their own (similar to how Steve/Kayla grew out of Bo/Hope, Kim/Shane).

• Members

I think it was to a certain extent -- Drake Hogestyn and Genie Francis shared great chemistry -- but I also think it lived in the shadows of Roman/Marlena and GH's Luke/Laura.  Plus, by Genie's own admission, DAYS never really gave her a real character to inhabit.

• Members

I do remember the SOD issue previewing the Roman (John) and Diana wedding complete with Drake and Genie decked out in wedding garb - only for it to never happen. I think the Writers' Strike of '88 derailed a lot, and that was one of them. Still, SOD had egg on its face for that issue. The show actually sort of lucked out where Drake Hogestyn was concerned because, even though his acting was limited, he had charisma and charm to spare and seemed to spark with whomever the show threw at him. Remember Yvette, who was also involved with Victor? I know Roman shared scenes with her.

Later, there was also a blonde shrink (?) named Whitney. I think this was also pre-Isabella. Then, after Isabella died, they had chemistry tested RoJohn with Dani Minnick's Rebecca. Now that I look at it, RoJohn seemed to have a thing for women whose names ended in vowels. LOL!

Marlena

Diana

Isabella

Yvette

Rebecca

I think Whitney was the exception. And that made RoJohn something of an outlier that he was able - when Marlena "died" in the '80s - to seemingly easily have success outside of that pairing. As was said, not every character is so lucky.

Edited by Wendy