DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I know a lot of this is already out there, but since I was mostly posting old articles in the cancelled soaps section I thought I might start posting some stuff on the current soaps here, just under different threads for each soap.

If you're interested in this, let me know, and I'll post more, or someone who has a lot of good stuff can post more.

This is from the July 1976 Afternoon TV Stars. Lorelei Publishing Inc

10-29-2010070559AM.jpg

10-29-2010070515AM30.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Patti Weaver... Wow!

Mike, Trish, David and Valerie shouldn't have been written out so early. (I consider later Mikes brand new characters with new careers and personalities).

I understand that DAYS had to choose between Mickey & Maggie and Bill & Laura at some point, but there was no reason for the younger generation to leave. The soaps became so arrogant in the eighties :(

Edited by Elsa

• Members

I know someone already answered this for me but I've forgotten -- did Patty Weaver leave for lack of story? I wonder if the show would have done anything with her if she'd stayed. It seemed like Liz sort of took her place.

I know there were some issues with Mike after Eure was written out, and then they did recast Valerie some time after Tina Andrews left, but I guess their efforts were half-hearted. Did the show make an effort?

I never understood why they didn't do more with David. You have some pretty handsome or talented actors playing him, but then he just goes. Was Gregg Marx the last David?

• Members

Gregg Marx was the last David and he worked without a contract after his expired.I remember this being reported in SOD and him saying that he hoped to stay but had to wait and see.

it does seem crazy to cast off David but I think there were a few factors in play. The show seemed to want to divorce itself from its roots and the characters that were popular in the 70's.Also because David had been heavilty SORASED he had been through a lot of story (2 marriages etc) and maybe it was felt the character could be rested. I'm sure quite often when characters are dropped, there are vague plans to bring them back,but as time goes by,they are forgotten.

The show was going in a new direction and losing David also meant a connection to Julie was lost, thus lessening her importance and making the dropping of Julie less important.

I think Patty Weaver's contract was up and she was approached by (or approached )Y&R and quickly moved on to the role of Gina.I think Bill Bell was very flexible in his forward planning and if say, Wes Kenney said Patty was available and interested he would quickly come up with something.

• Members

Even now they could bring David back -- Guthrie has passed away and I guess Marx might not be acting now but they could recast and it would be a way to bring a fresh character in, along with his son Scotty. They could even get Rick Hearst from his pointless B&B role. The show seems more willing to bring back Hortons now so the timing is right.