Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL..I thought he was much younger also..hes only a bit younger them me...and Im ancient.

I thought he was a really good Chris Hughes..I know he needed help in the acting but he came off as really nice without being bland and I liked his chemistry with all the women, romantic or not...he was really good with the Hughes ladies...Kim, Nancy and Lisa and I especially loved his protectiveness over "Gram."   And he was pretty before but wow, he aged into those looks.

Dylan Bruce looks like a bland underwear model, never got the love on him.

• Members

I thought Steve Bassett was well-cast for who Seth was meant to be - introspective, sensitive, looking for something he'd never find. 

I thought Michael was great. I would agree Marland didn't do well with a number of male roles in his tenure but Michael was a find for sure, and I wonder what might have been in his career if he hadn't had so many demons. 

I had forgotten Kim had this hairstyle. Kathryn Hays wears it well, even if it ages Kim slightly, but I'm so used to her with the "Kim hair." I have similar struggles when she changes it around 1991 or so.

Was this strike material? Marland tended to downplay Kim's relationship with Betsy, so hearing her talk about how Betsy was a daughter and a best friend surprised me. There is similar material around this point that feels much wilder than Marland's material for this subset (he tended to save his wild stuff for his camp queens like Lilith), like the very very good scene where during an argument Betsy nearly asks if Josh is going to rape her. 

@Mitch I hope you get to see this clip before it vanishes - you'd love it. 

I am generally fond of the Snyders, overall, but they had [!@#$%^&*] weird romantic dynamics and ZERO boundaries or morals, no matter how much they talked about their values. Seeing Kim, the second most moral voice of the show behind Nancy, batter Seth around to the point where he couldn't even respond and had to leave, was absolutely priceless, and has the type of spice that the show didn't quite have at this time. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

As a YouTube viewer, watching the Snyder clan grow, shift and mutate in the 80s is fascinating stuff, not the least of which because it appears to be a psychosexual playground for Marland on many levels, between Iva, Lily, Meg and the parade of beautiful, brooding or soulful men with quasi-incestuous relationships and homoerotic currents, some of them going into business or high society drag (like Meg and I guess Holden) or remaining rugged. The idea of a modular soap family like theirs, too, where multiple members can come and go and replace others when one is spent, is excellent. It makes me think about which soap could and should have crafted similar ones or retrofitted other old ones to suit the model.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Marland set the stage for the Snyders to be able to come and go from the start, I guess because they were based on his life so he wanted to make sure they were taken care of properly rather than written on the fly. Now that I think of it I guess this definitely was a rare thing. The closest I can think of is the revolving door of Frames on AW from the early '70s to the early '90s. 

• Members

And that didn't work perfectly as planned, of course, because of various recasts. Lemay talks a lot about how Willis Frame got botched because of both him and Alice having to be recast, though I'm not sure that audience would ever have accepted them together. A lot of his other ambitious professional solo characters didn't last long, either. The Snyders did.

• Members

You'd never see a soap nowadays attempt this story nowadays.  It's a good thing effort, but I feel it was just a prop to break up Cal and Lyla..more than an actual story for Simone...who could have been a character that stayed on long term.

Edge of Night did a story kind of like this in the 80s..including a discussion about Thanksgiving.

We went backwards instead of forward sadly.