edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

11 minutes ago, Manny said:

Oh I just received in mail my order of "As The World Turns Complete Family Scrapbook - Special 40th Anniversary Edition"! Really excited! 

And since in my real life no one cares about soaps or even know what ATWT is, I thought to share my excitement here :)

Do you guys know other books like that which are worth buying that you would like to recommend?

Enjoy! I know that GL,AMC, OLTL and DAYS all have anniversary editions. I still have my GL book. Which i paid 60 bucks for back in the late 90's at Barnes and Nobles. 

Edited by victoria foxton

6 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

giphy (1).gif

Colton! Yummy 😋

I've got my rotten tomatoes ready for Pissant and Co.

Wow...The viewers are trashing them. Alan just mentioned it.

IMG_20200807_130648.jpg

Edited by Soapsuds

4 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Tom looks so dirty.

lol he does!

I lol'd that they're being trashed. I feel bad for the other two ladies. Jean cannot write for [!@#$%^&*]. How she lasted so long as a HW on these soaps is beyond me.

IMO, out of the all the writers who’s work I’ve seen in real time, Jean was the worst. ATWT was the only soap I ever stopped watching. 

Admittedly, the only reason I started watching was because I had a little crush on Van Hansis lol but I feel I wouldn’t have turned it off had the writing been better. 

Her GH was a mess too 

5 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

IMO, out of the all the writers who’s work I’ve seen in real time, Jean was the worst. ATWT was the only soap I ever stopped watching. 

Admittedly, the only reason I started watching was because I had a little crush on Van Hansis lol but I feel I wouldn’t have turned it off had the writing been better. 

Her GH was a mess too 

It was. She's never been good. And she's been around these soaps for SO long. She must be well liked.

I desperately wanted to love ATWT in it's last decade but it just wasn't good. Thanks Jean and Goutman.

Just now, KMan101 said:

It was. She's never been good. And she's been around these soaps for SO long. She must be well liked.

I desperately wanted to love ATWT in it's last decade but it just wasn't good. Thanks Jean and Goutman.

She must have been the ultimate sweet talker. That’s gotta be the only way that she was hired so many times.

Jean is by all accounts an excellent breakdown/staff writer. As a HW she's one of the all time worst.

Funny how Jean and Tom are being trashed yet they defend and gush over their work. Tom gushing how great HB as Craig was and loved Hogan version of him. Then you have Susan Dansby who was horrified at the writing for SB Craig and how that wasn't Craig and how great SB played it and still came off sympathetic.

Susan just announced she's back at YR. It's a shame she never became a HW. Love her talk about working on GL and leaving after not being used as a director.

Edited by Soapsuds

So interesting to hear Jean say that, for the end, they wanted to bring back every actor from the show that was still alive but TPTB said no. So it wasn’t the writers who didn’t bring back fan favorite characters. As I’ve long suspected, Goutman is pretty solely to blame for all the problems with the show. The writers were doing everything they could to keep it going with what they were given.

12 minutes ago, adrnyc said:

So interesting to hear Jean say that, for the end, they wanted to bring back every actor from the show that was still alive but TPTB said no. So it wasn’t the writers who didn’t bring back fan favorite characters. As I’ve long suspected, Goutman is pretty solely to blame for all the problems with the show. The writers were doing everything they could to keep it going with what they were given.

I never blamed the writers for the lack of cameos. Goutman's ego was all over those episodes and his contempt for the show - and fans - was clear. To this day I still resent the fans who bent over backwards to praise him for his bravery in having so few returns. All they got was a dead gay man and a plastic globe. That may be their kink, but it sure as hell wasn't mine.

Jean was always the epitome of the writer you promote from within to interim HW while the actual talented HW is hired or their stories can air.  She keeps the trains running, she does write talk to scenes, but she should never be in the driver’s seat for longer than 4 months.  Then back to breakdowns.