Falcon Crest

• Members

If the writing is good, I find this isn't the case. Like much of Knots Landing, which evolved really well throughout the 80s and always kept itself fresh until the end. I find that show holds up incredibly well. So does the best of Dallas, but these particular seasons of Falcon Crest were too trendy and plot driven to have long term appeal. 

Surprisingly, I'm four episodes into season 8 and I'm finding it so much more enjoyable. I liked that they brought back Ceasar Romero for Vicky's exit, which actually ended up being a shame because the new writers calmed her down and wrote her in a way where I might be interested in seeing her. Melissa's death is definitely a misstep, but I like that the focus is back on Falcon Crest and the valley and the core characters. The new people being brought in are supporting to the main cast and aren't dominating stories as new characters tend to do on Falcon Crest. I'm very curious to see when it goes off the rails completely.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Richard Channing was in the original Vintage Years pilot and played by Michael Swan. I guess they felt having Lance was enough at the time and decided to make him a step-son (until they rewrote that).

I think you need to remember that a lot of people watched this when they were kids/tweens/teens and from that perspective it's probably more exciting if you have that sort of rose-coloured glasses on. Lord knows I have more affection for Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place because I watched both when growing up and probably have a lot of more oversight for the pure nonsense that went on at those shows.

• Members

I will give Michael Filerman and Camille Marchetta credit for bringing FC back to basics in S8 and renewing the emphasis on the winery, as well as on the class conflicts among the Channing/Giobertis, the Agrettis (Frank, Nick and Ben always struck me as being less affluent than Carlo and Melissa) and the Ortegas.  Even Maggie gets something else to do in S8 besides drink and cry over her problems with Richard, I think, lol. 

Compared to the Freilich-produced seasons, however, S8 felt dull and plodding; and that, coupled with the regrettable decision to kill off Melissa, resulted in viewers thinking FC had jumped the proverbial shark.

IIRC, too, Swan's Richard came across more like a mercenary than the sophisticated mogul that Selby's would become.

Edited by Khan

• Members

LOL just read this. Pamela’s exit was so bizarre when it was revealed she had bombed Richard’s house and was trying to kill him. Plastic surgery with Richard marveling how Pamela even changed her voice. Was the original actress not available to come back for at least one episode to wrap it up?

• Members

I laugh at the irony of Richard interrogating her in his hospital gown, she gives up all of the information, without a trial, and clip clap it's all over...

Richard never seemed to learn the lesson that an interview and background check are good ideas when hiring an assistant.  Wasn't this like the third one that tried to betray him?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm 10 episodes into season 8 and I'm still loving it. I find that I don't miss Melissa at all. In a way, she's been out of my mind for a while now because she was so unwatchable the past two years. Had they kept her, I think they would've had to bring Cole and Joseph back and I could see the writers doing a good job bringing her back to her roots. 

In my previous viewings I never cared for Pilar, but Kristin Alfonso's performances are better than I remembered. She has good chemistry with Richard and Lance and I like the idea of her coming from a poor family, getting an education and coming back to spread the wealth amongst her people. Another bright light this season is Emma. The previous writer wrote her as a joke, but she's been humanized again. She's still eccentric, but she isn't the butt of everyone's joke and I like seeing the family actually care about what's going on in her life again.

This season feels very similar to the first three seasons, but I will admit it isn't packed with the more plot driven stories from Falcon Crest's glory years. It feels almost like Knots Landing meets Falcon Crest.

• Members

I haven’t seen season 8 since it originally aired but I remember liking it much better than the hot mess that was Jeff Freilich’s season 7. But Dallas had greatly declined at that t point, so FC wasn’t getting the lead-in it once did. And it no longer had the clear cut setup of the Gioberti family coming to the valley, with Angela trying to drive them out.

• Members

I just finished season 8 and this has been one of my favorite seasons. It's like a love letter to the early years. The stories were more grounded and rural and I think they did a good job of refocusing the show on the Channing and revamped Aggreti families. For the first time in years we have younger characters that work as well, with Ben, Gabriel and Tommy. Richard and Maggie had a GREAT story arc that perfectly sets up the darkness of her season 9 exit. I loved the way they built up Angela and Richard's relationship only for him to turn on her in the end. The entire kidnapping arc was fantastic. I also enjoyed Ana-Alicia's return as Samantha. She could've been a useful character to keep. And of course this season did a good job of repairing the damage done to my favorite character, Miss Emma.

Now I'm looking forward to diving into the very controversial final season, then I will give my rankings for the entire series.

• Members

so i didn't know if it was worth putting it up here, but it was posted a few days ago and since you're going to venture on season 9 here's a warning, i think they damaged Miss Emma Again

but strangely i thought she looked good here don't know why

• Members

@JosephI'm going to skip that clip because I'm only four episodes in. Season 9 so far is chilling and I find that I'm loving it. It's probably been 15 years since I last saw this season! One thing I like is that they seem to have a strong handle on the main cast and the new characters are working for me as well. Michael Sharpe and his sister Lauren seem interesting and it's nice to have a new rival for Richard. It's something fresh at least. I love that my girl Emma has a central storyline that affects everybody, instead of a B or C story as usual. It's sad to see her last relationship didn't work out, but I like where this is going. I don't think they've messed Emma up and from memory, the story has a strong pay off for her. 

Lance the past two seasons has been a revelation. I about died when he told Charley it was disrespectful to walk around the house in his undies, when Lance used to do that all the time. I feel like Pilar is the perfect match for him and they've done a good job of maturing him. I know many hate Pilar because they view her as a Melissa replacement, but the two characters are quite different. Melissa was never the love of Lance's life either, so I don't mind that he's found happiness with Pilar.

Maggie's death remains one of the greatest and most shocking exits in soap history IMO. I also feel like after watching their relationship develop, it could've only ended in doom. From the moment Maggie got with Richard she fought every sign and instinct that told her to run away from him. I'm enjoying seeing Richard on the bottom and lose everything--his business, his money, his kids and his wife. 

The only thing that truly saddens me is that Jane Wyman couldn't film this full season. I just know if she was in better health they would've taken Angie to new heights. I'm glad they gave her a strong exit though. Especially with her age I could see other writers simply sending her to Europe  as planned or an off screen accident, but for someone as formidable as Angela, I was glad we got to see her interactions with Charley and her fight. It's added to the terror that character brings and any second Emma is around him I'm worried for her safety.

I'm going to be sad when this binge ends, but I'm glad they went out trying, whether people like the season or not. It's sad that Dallas started the primetime soap boom and it's the one of the big four that just gave up in the end. Say what you will about the final seasons of FC, Dynasty and Knots, but they at least tried to do something with the time they had left.

• Members

Season 9 has some iconic hair.  Michael's slicked back Michael Douglas cosplay, his son's ponytail

Please register in order to view this content

Charley's mullet, Maggie's sudden short and sassy hair that can't save her from drowning, and of course Angela's final wig with those tiny bangs.