Falcon Crest

• Members

I am compelled to use my most despised phrase in social media - yes, but - because yes it may be unfair to criticize the show within a modern context.

But, Margaret Ladd's use of a baby voice in order to indicate mental fragility seems as if it was her own acting choice, not written into the script, and it always felt annoying, inauthentic, and unrealistic. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh for sure. Probably one of my biggest complaints especially in the later seasons was complete lack of follow-up for a lot of stuff. For example just saw your TiananmenSquare interruption, despite the dramatic cliffhangers we saw for Season 8 weren’t even touched on in Season 9 aside from a sIngle line in the first episode that Pilar had visited Tommy & Kelly still recovering from their lake ordeal.

Other than Robert Foxworth and Dana Sparks i felt the main cast overall did a good job, but as @j swiftwas saying sometimes the acting of guest stars was also horrendous.

In the case of Chase I do want to sympathize with him but Foxworth was socold and stark it made Chase unlikeable at the same time. 

• Members

Agree. It went from wealthy Waltons in modern day California wine country in season 1, to a Dallas with grapes/James Bond hybrid in seasons 2-4, then a Dallas with grapes/Miami Vice hybrid in season 5 (if you can't beat the new hotness, might as well join it), a high-octane action-packed thrill ride in seasons 6 and 7, and off the rails plus budget mode in seasons 8 and 9. 

Any show that's focused on family/business conflicts was going to draw comparisons to Dallas, but the James Bond and Miami Vice elements were not needed.

The mentally ill members of the main family and guest stars in short arcs were elements used on Empire 30+ years later.

Falcon Crest may not have been a pop culture phenomenon, but I think its place in television history is that of being Jane Wyman's late career comeback that pretty much overlapped with her ex-husband's presidency. The first episode December 4, 1981 was 318 days after Reagan took office, and the final episode May 17, 1990 was 1 year 117 days after Reagan left office.

• Members

A couple of years ago I re-watched the unaired pilot "The Vintage Years" (still can't believe they named Abby Dalton's character Dorcas).

I marveled at the idea that the wine industry could've made for a perfect seasonal arc. You have the planting and harvesting periods, the annual release of that year's vintage, and the reviews.  It was a literally organic structure for each season's arc.  If you've ever read the background of Maison Duboeuf's Beaujolais Nouveau, you'll know there's tons of intrigue there.  Somewhere along the way writers felt that horse racing and international spies were necessary when, in fact, they already had a reliable formula.

BTW, I already know that Dorcas was one of Jesus's disciples.  But, nobody names one kid Emma and the other one Dorcas without some negative consequences...

Edited by j swift

• Members

Falcon Crest mentions in SOD Best and Worst.

1983: Best Nighttime Cliffhanger

1984: Most Intriguing Characters, Funny Couples

1985: Most Improved Show Prime Time

1986: Biggest Letdown

1987: Best Love Story, Most Shocking Twist, Best Prime-Time Show

1988: Best Reconciliation, Most Intriguing Characters, Best Prime-Time Show

1989: Biggest Waste of Talent - Prime Time, Most Ruined Show

The write ups are posted here Classic Soap Opera Digest News on Tumblr - #Best & Worst

• Members

That 1985 write-up:

Last year, FALCON CREST finally came into its own, becoming much more than the soap that simply followed DALLAS. We are also happy to report that as of this writing, they are keeping up with last season's high standards -- even surpassing them. FALCON CREST has become a first class show. All around acting last year was superb with honorable mention going to Lorenzo Lamas (Lance), who grew with performances that combined vulnerability and humor. Jane Wyman (Angela) was never more acerbically witty; in fact, most of the cast seemed to get the notion that humor was necessary, and were allowed to poke fun at themselves every once in a while.

We were particularly engrossed in the love story between Lance and Lorraine (Kate Vernon); Emma's (Margaret Ladd) great desire to fall in love; and the heat and longing that existed between Richard (David Selby) and Maggie (Susan Sullivan). Stay away from Nazis and treasure hunts, FALCON CREST -- keep the writing and acting at its present caliber and MIAMI VICE will never rest easy.

• Members

I’m on Season 6 right now, so I haven’t seen them as a couple yet, but I never would’ve guessed that fans liked them enough for them to get a write up in SOD. I can’t stand Richard lol I find him to be an arrogant, condescending douchebag. IMO, Chase isn’t that much better lol but I’m still surprised 

Now, where’s this coming from? You’ve always been so nice to me

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Since we're talking about opinions suddenly, the Martika version is superior to Carole's boring pretentious version.

When it comes to Richard and Maggie - I'm sort of indifferent. It makes sense on paper - the fair-haired L'Oreal Queen and the Bad Poster Boy of the show gets together is sort of a trope, but they never did much for me. I guess it's better than being stuck with perpetual stick-in-the-mud Chase.

Edited by te.