Falcon Crest

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was surprised 1985 was Most Improved. Seasons 2 and 3 were the peak. Season 4 was still enjoyable, but signs of tanking were showing after the war crimes storyline was abruptly ended. The remaining 10 or so episodes after felt like so much of the momentum that had been built over the run of the series was gone. Season 5 is when the tanking started (keeping it real, all the primetime soaps tanked in 1985/86) plus being head-to-head w/ the new hotness that was Miami Vice didn't help matters either.

You must mean the 1987 Best Love Story write up. That was a surprise choice for the time. Back then popular soap romances were mostly young and beautiful star-crossed lovers. These were middle-aged adults with a more emotional connection (I never sensed any longing fueled by passion and heat that the 1985 write up described) that had formed unexpectedly a few years earlier and over time that connection slowly grew into a love that neither one was prepared for and both were a little scared of facing.

Perhaps your mother was a fan of Golden Age Hollywood and liked the guest stars in short arcs.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

CBS had two drama series in the 1980s that starred Golden Age Hollywood actresses yet one actress was allegedly quite the diva while the other actress was by all accounts loved by everyone.

Check out the promo starting at 0:36. The contrasts could not be more apparent.

Edited by kalbir

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We know Falcon Crest was big on casting Golden Age Hollywood stars for short arcs, but this YT video I came across points out some influences from classic films. The influences for Falcon Crest are mostly new to me as I don't think they've been discussed here before (most of the classic film influences for Dallas and Knots Landing have been discussed in their respective threads).

Falcon Crest took elements from James Bond movies (international crime group, henchwomen, war criminals) but I can't pinpoint a specific James Bond movie that influenced any of the storylines. I think it was mentioned here that the season four war crimes storyline might have influenced by Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Edited by kalbir

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I made it to Maggie’s death and all can I say is why the F**K did they write it like that???

That was terrifying. Seriously, something like that happening is one of my greatest fears. I got chills up my spine while I was watching it. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I am so glad I did not see that episode when it was originally broadcast. I probably would have had nightmares the entire weekend and been traumatized the entire school year. It wasn't long after the school year ended that another CBS soap had their heroine from its first episode die onscreen and I cried so much after that episode (thankfully there was still a few weeks left of summer break). Two CBS soap heroines with sad onscreen deaths 10 months apart, yikes. (Side note, when going through SOD best/worst, I was surprised this death was not chosen as the worst of 1989 yet the other death was chosen as worst of 1990.)

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I didn't know you were watching. I think I stopped on the 1985-1986 season. I got sidetracked watching Knots Landing and now Dallas. I need to pick it back up.

I'm hoping Falcon Crest gets the HD treatment. I heard it was.

As for Maggie....I remember how she passed but I haven't rewatched it since it originally aired. I might have seen on Soapnet but don't recall. I remember at the time fans saying how vicious she was killed off.