AMC: Pratt Is History...

• Members

I'm not sure how much Frons cares about the anniversary episodes. It doesn't sound like this is going to be a huge event. If Frons allowed stuff like the sicko Adam/Stuart death story, or Liza returning played by a Pratt BFF, Pratt saying such stupid comments to the press for months on end...then he must have had some leeway. I think as long as he kept focus on characters like Ryan, Frons may have been OK.

If he's going I think it was over preexisting problems, or he wanted to leave.

I kind of wonder if the rumors about Budig demanding this axe are true.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IF this is true the question is, was it Pratt that put his foot down and said "I won't do that"? Or was it something he wanted to do that he felt was in line with following the rules and ended up being a bit to much?

Either way, something caused this. IMO, he wrote something that someone above Frons took note of. Plus, all the leter writing that's been going on lately, etc. Someone had to have seen something that they just couldn't let go. What that could be...I don't think I want to know.

• Members

I think it's either money (he was too expensive and really had no results or not those they wanted him to have), Pratt going to write primetime or Anne Sweeney stepping in and asserting her power. Or the combination of all three.

It will probably turn out I'm completely wrong.

• Members

I still think there had to be a straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. It just doesn't seem like ABC/AMC to me to fire him now, without there being a specific reason for something.

Perhaps he wanted to so something and someone above Frons told him not to, and he did it anyway? The hard part for me, is at this point, what would be something bad enough that would make someone above Frons take notice? It seems to me like it would have to be something really, really, terrible...and if that's the case, yikes.

• Members

Just because something makes it to air doesn't mean that TPTB are beyond pleased with it. A blow-up over Pratt's initial ideas or disappointment with the outcome may have very well contributed to his subsequent firing. As someone else said, the straw that broke, even. And you know how shady TV folk can be, the day a person is fired and the day the public learns of this firing are often not the same day. Look at Star Jones, he could have been canned weeks ago for all we know and they have been playing this out on their own terms.

• Members

I still get the feeling they wanted Pratt to be their guy in LA, so I'm not convinced that his firing was in the works. Which, whether it was the 40th Anniversary show or not, means that there had to be something he wrote that was it for ABC. I shudder to think what that could be, but look how long they let Megan run ammock. She didn't even get canned for Josh. Something had to push Pratt out the door. I just wonder if it'll make it to air or not.

• Members

The celebration is premature because Frons is not looking for someone to write for the show. Instead he is searching for a writer who can keep his favs interesting, Kendull, Ryan and Greenlee (I would have mentioned Zach, but TK is leaving). Everyone is the supporting cast, and they will be written to prop these 3. That is alot of pressure for anyone.

AMC will continue to be trash until Frons is gone.

ANDREA

• Members

Not that I put too much faith in this idea, but if the issue was indeed the 40th anniversary episodes, I would love it if his firing was *helped along* by Agnes Nixon's insistence. I can stomach that much better than the idea of Rebecca Budig having something to do with it, Carl. ;) But really, I just want to believe that AN is somehow, someway still going to bat for her show. She's done her work, she deserves her rest and retirement, and as much as she loves AMC, I'm sure she could give a good gottdamn about boardroom battles and silly network politics. But one last little victory in the protection of her legacy certainly would feel nice.

Archived