AMC: Pratt Is History...

• Members

That's definitely true. I do think that Pratt was a huge problem, as there were jarring changes which happened once he settled in as headwriter.

Whether the show will improve, who can say. There's at least a chance. With him there was none.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, GAWD! This news is good and bad. While I had problems with Pratt's version AMC, I have maintained since day one that his version has done something AMC hasn't done since early 2003 -- ENTERTAIN ME! However, I would love to see more human stories being told with these characters, but I do like the anticipation of seeing how Pratt's asinine twists play out.

I don't ever want 'the writer' to darken AMC again. This show, which is already ready too Ryan-heavy, will be even more so, plus all the women will be blonde, the women will be even more "misogynized" than they are now complete with rape and domestic abusers, and we will have six character find out they are long lost relatives in about three months time.

• Members

:o

So Frons fired his friend AND ABC will have to pay him big bucks until the middle of next year? I wonder what did him in?

It can't have been the ratings could it? Hasn't AMC lost fewer viewers than OLTL and GH over last year? And if it's ratings then why is Ron Carlivati still at OLTL?

Was it the only way Rebecca Budig would come back?

And will Pratt underling Tracey Thomson, who Frons has raved about, be the one to replace him?

I say just let Addie Walsh have the job and stop bringing in people from the outside.

• Members

Yes. Frons must be removed. Given his rumored love of Pratt I can't help but feel that a higher-up stepped in, higher but not quite on Sweeney's level. But that would beg the questions: 1.)Why hasn't this person stepped in before? 2.) Why do headwriters, breakdown writers with a sense/respect for history, and the occasional EP keep getting thrown under the bus while the "creative consultant" for all these shows is given more control and less accountability with each passing quarter. It's time to take a serious look at the ABC Daytime organization chart and the types of power that work there.

• Members

I'm surprised Frons let one of his BBF's go this easily, but good news nonetheless, all we have to worry about is the replacement...

Why not promote Beldner? He's worked in every position on that show's writing team. I'm not saying he should be promoted just because of that, but it would be nice to see someone new given the HW reigns, but especially someone with that deep a history with the show.

Now, if only Y&R and other soaps would get a new Head Writer and possibly new writing team....

• Members

I don't really get it either. Obviously someone at ABC Daytime cares about these soaps, on some level, yet Frons stays around.

I wonder if there was some backstage tension, or if there was a future story Pratt was pushing which caused some controversy.

Does he ever stay at any soap very long?

• Members

With Pratt being Frons' bff and the ratings relatively stable, this is pretty shocking news. The show is a hot mess creatively, but STILL! It must've come from someone above Frons. I have one request: LORRAINE BRODERICK, COME HOME! I know it'll probably never happen with Frons in charge, but it's not 100% out of the realm of possibility. I don't think it will be Beldner. He and his partner who's a pretty high-end attorney in Manhattan, adopted a baby last year, and I hear he's playing stay at home dad. A HW position might be too much for him. I guess the reality is that whoever is chosen, probably nothing much will change, since he/she will have to write in compliance with the Frons/ABC mandate to keep things dumbed down beyond belief. If I were Carlivati, I'd be shaking in my boots. OLTL might be getting a lot of buzz over Kish, but it's not being reflected in the ratings, and Carlivati is not a bff of Frons.

Archived