AMC: Pratt Is History...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well this is certainly reassuring news for AMC fans- they're getting a respectable head writer who's previous tenure(s) were well-received. I can't remember the last time AMC announced a head writing change that actually got me excited.

I totally disagree. I didn't like his tenure at all and HATED the way he wrote Marcy Walker's Liza.

• Members

I liked Culliton's stuff at first, but then it just became one big confusing mess with the whole convoluted Proteus thing devouring the entire show. To this day, I have no idea what that storyline was about. Something about drug trafficking and Vanessa's split personality! Totally clueless LOL.

• Members

Yeah I NEVER could untangle Proteus--to me it was an example of an umbrella storyline taking over everything. I think many of the problems during his run weren't his fault--just a feeling--but his tenure, for as much as I enjoyed it, was riddled with dropped characters (Timmy being the most obvious) and storylines. I also am not sure he quite got the Pine Vally vibe to me (again by no means do I suggest the writers since have gotten it any better, except maybe the first few months of McT's return when she briefly really focused on family again) Not sure why i feel that way but... It honestly felt more like Another World or something to me

• Members

Supposedly Culliton had a plan to revitalize the show, which included keeping vets front and center. From what I remember reading, he had major story in the works for Palmer, Opal, and Brooke. But that was the last thing that Frons, who had just succeeded Angela Shapiro, wanted to hear. He dumped Culliton and hired Rayfield, who tried to turn the show into a daytime version of "Sex and the City."

• Members

I wasn't overly bothered because at least she wasn't stuck being the somewhat dry heroine. Liza had been drifting as a character for years. She shouldn't have been stuck as a prop to Mia but I thought it had some interesting moments.

As for dropped stories like Timmy, I thought that was more due to Culliton being fired than due to his own plans.

I did think the Proteus story was a mess, although I thought Vanessa's split personality and Trey as her son was good, if very flawed (I hated that they dumped him with the writer change). Otherwise I enjoyed more of his tenure than I didn't, and he was the last writer to give Brooke a storyline, he wrote for Anna/David, etc.

• Members

Ha!

Same here.

Wasn't there something about diamonds, too?

I don't think they ever revealed who 'Proteus' really was. It was Vanessa, I guess, but then didn't they hint later on that it was someone else? It was either Vanessa only thinking she was 'Proteus' because of her insanity, or something like her faking the "Rosie Wells" persona to get off her crimes..??? UGH! Nevermind.... I'm getting a headache.

• Members

I thought Culliton's tenure was largely excellent. I loved it, and Agnes was involved and wanted to keep Vanessa around; she was reportedly livid when Frons came to ABC and insisted Dusay had to go.

There were rough patches. Case in point the introduction of Simone, who unwisely debuted as a 'slinky femme fatale,' dark and mysterious. Who gave a [!@#$%^&*]? Then they made her comic relief, and she worked in that role, but they could've done more with her. I loved her in that whole thing with Roger Smythe, but then they kept shuffling her off on all the rejected male leads, including (and this indicates the problems at AMC, for him to be a 'reject') James Scott.

I despised Rayfield and Cascio. It was such a plastic, corporate program, not horribly offensive like Pratt, but incredibly soulless and boring. Dozens of new characters, it seems, and I didn't care about any of them. And despite the Lianca fans' boasts, that Cambias/Lena "corporate" storyline was just terrible, written by sixth graders. There was nothing "complex" or "intelligent" about that.

Archived