Y&R: Kahlil drops a bomb on buzzworthy radio

• Members

I wonder... what do you think would happen if they got Marguerite Ray to reprise the role? I'm not sure.... her Mamie always seemed so STUCK UP, and she bothered me, while I LIKED Redd's portrayal. I also loved the Mamie/Jill conflicts, those were always great... but I felt Ray never clicked with Walton. Ray and Dickson had great chemistry (two stuck up bitches trying to one up the other), as did Walton and Redd. Even if they didn't get Dru... I KNOW she's not connected to the Winters, but I LOVED Stephanie Williams' portrayal of Amy, I wouldn't have minded re-inrtroducing her, and continuing the realtionship she and Traci had. But anyway..... when I spoke of Neil being "ashamed" of Dru... this is what I'm referring to:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My main thing about the Winters family, even when Rowell was still around, is that they didn't pack the emotional whallop they once had. And I admit, alot of must have been the writing, for me.... this is the BEST of what the Winters had to offer, this scene just ripped my heart out, and if I consider someone like Kahlil being dropped into a scene like this... it would SO not work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RckGDGmCcD8

• Members

MarkH, NorrthCafe answered beautifully, I couldn't have put it better. As said, the "good" sibling/"bad" sibling thing is a storytelling staple, but within the black community for example, there is room to go even further... delving into our dirty little cultural secrets like keeping light-skinned children out of the sun and allowing the dark-skinned ones to go out and play (now who here had the better childhood??). "Good" hair/"bad" hair, all of that stuff we're ashamed of because consciously or subconsciously we know that it's born out of a white ideal of beauty.

At any rate, I'm not coming down on light-skinned or biracial actresses, I just think it's messed up that when casting black characters on soaps, more often than not that's what we get. Does no one see how insulting and pschologically/emotionally damaging that may be to a brown-, or dark-skinned young girl watching? Casting Tika Sumpter was a revelation. Christel Khalil, Karla Mosley, Brook Kerr, Daphne Duplaix, Victoria Platt, et cetera, do you see the through line in terms of looks and speech?

I'd love to see Mamie back, as long as she was actually DOING something, not just TLW status. Remember her walking around town with a shopping bag full of a million dollars? :lol: Oh, that Jill... But I liked VR's Mamie, she was time enough for Jill. She could shoot a look and you knew she meant business.

• Members

Right, which is funny because it seems as though soaps have regressed instead of progressed in terms of their mindset re: images of blacks. I don't get where it all started, where suddenly the black girls had to look and sound as much as like the white girls as possible. A black girl having a lilt in her voice doesn't make her ghetto any more than a person from the south having an accent makes them a hick. It's funny how black people with traces of their southern and urban roots in their voices are okay for comedy but not soap operas. VR was pretty much the only one on that show with a "blackcent" which is funny because you could hear in her voice that it didn't come as naturally to her as it would to say Tichina Arnold or Vivica Fox. It's like TPTB are afraid of looking like they're stereotyping, but it's not even about that. There's a difference between honest reflections of cultural background and stereotyping. And YET, EVERY [!@#$%^&*] latin parent on a soap opera has an accent! Have you noticed that?? The Santoses on AMC, Marko's parents on OLTL, Carlotta, what is that about?? I mean, there are latin people in this country who have been here for more than one generation!

I was talking to my friend, a brown-skinned latina actress a couple of years ago, and she was even talking about how on novellas you won't see the brown-skinned Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, what have you, and many of the light-skinned latinas have traded in their natural raven hair color for bleached blonde and other-worldly shades of red. I'm almost tired of talking about this, I really wish it was a non-issue! :blush:

• Members

Your'e welcome. I just have alot of insight to both worlds, being a white ozark farm boy whose best friend is black. So I've heard both sides of the argument, and he educates me as to the black experience and attitudes... but I also know his opinions arne't the ONLY opinions held. I suppose my opinions might be swayed by him, because he calls Christel "Little miss white chocolate", and thinks she's not "black enough" either. Some people have that hangup, some people don't. But things can change opinion. Like when Davetta was playing the role, all that problem with Lily went away... and like my example of the Supremes earlier in the thread, once Diana Ross left the group, and they got Jean Terrell in there, The Supremes were once again "Black enough" and got their street cred back:

• Members

And that's all it is a personal hangup that resonates with certain people. You need to expand your black horizon if your relying on your friend and this board for the truth about the black experience.

Lol, I couldn't tell from this thread. Therefore you also know that there are blacks who easily identify with Lily as opposed to Dru and Tyra.

This I can agree with. Too bad they can't do that in a straight forward manner instead of opting for the Lily's not black enough method.

• Members

:lol::lol::lol: Sweetie, don't bite off more than you can chew.

I see your sense of humor is right on par with your taste in actors & your contributions to conversation on this board.

And thank you for serving your one and only purpose on this board: to purposely give antagonistic opinions, however ignorant they may be, in order to incite people to disect your posts and point out the sheer idiocy of each and every thing you say.

That would be your cue to whine about being attacked unjustly, all the while relishing every ounce of what is being dished out to you. :o

Archived