Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Does anyone else remember Lynn Deerfield as the original Holly Norris? She was excellent, in a very different way from Maureen Garrett, and tall and lanky whereas Maureen was shorter, with dark hair and a rounder body. As originally conceived, Holly was a spoiled rich girl, though generally sympathetic. MG's Holly always seemed much more middle-class. Although Maureen Garrett was obviously a good actress, it took a good while for me to accept her as Holly. She was at least as different from Lynn Deerfield as Victoria Wyndham was from Robin Strasser.

I did not see Holly's introduction to the show or the trial where Leslie, then played by Barbara Rodell, was accused of the murder of Holly's father. However, I loved the very well-written story as Holly married a fallen-off-the-wagon Ed Bauer (Mart Hulswit) in Vegas, her brother Ken (Roger Newman) married Janet Mason (Caroline McWilliams), who had once had an affair with Ed, and Holly's ex-boyfriend Roger Thorpe (Michael Zaslow) pursued Janet, mainly because she couldn't stand him. Roger made it appear to Ken and Holly that he actually was having an affair with Janet, activating Ken's jealousy. All of these actors gave consistently fine performances, and all had great working chemistry with each other. With Roger's father (Robert Milli) falling for Holly's mother (Barbara Berjer), the situation became even more tangled.

To me, this character-based storytelling was more interesting than the contrived issue-oriented spousal rape drama which would eventually follow.

• Members

I didn't know Dennehy thought Pam Long didn't like her. I always thought she was recast because Long wanted to redefine Blake after they turned her into Christina. Also, she was in Philip and Rick's age group and Chrissy was born about 5 yrs after Rick, so I thought they wanted to de-age her a bit. SOD said the show was taking Blake in a new direction. I swear Dennehy, in her exit interview with SOD, said she wouldn't do another soap. I don't remember context so I'm not sure if it was a knock against the show, daytime, or not a knock at all. I do remember when Larkin Malloy left as Kyle, he did say he would never do GL again because the writers kept keeping Kyle and Reva apart lol 

• Members

I'm not sure if you all have seen this, but I came across this collection of 96 radio episodes of GL from 1950!

https://archive.org/details/1950-11-24-886-bill-gloria-talk/1950-07-26+-+797)+Stays+with+Charlotte.mp3 

Edit: Another set of 100 episodes

https://archive.org/details/otr_guidinglight 

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Perfectly put, ITA. This is the type of Valentine to the fans one would expect to see in a soap magazine, not People, and I applaud People for it. It disappoints me that SOD never did a series of spreads like this one for Blake. Imagine all of the Vikis, the Dorians, the Jills… the Kevins (oy).