Guiding Light discussion thread

Paul Raven

• Members
20 minutes ago, Nicholas Blair said:

By the way, LaGuardia's book is now selling for $768. Wonder if I still have my old copy?

just checked amazon, that price if for a mass market paperback,  whatever the hell that is. used paperbacks ‘very good condition’ are going for $7.38, which is about what i paid 10 years ago. and while t’s a great (perhaps even invaluable:) resource, but no way i’d more than $100

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
On 9/15/2021 at 6:58 PM, Nicholas Blair said:

Does anyone else remember Lynn Deerfield as the original Holly Norris? She was excellent, in a very different way from Maureen Garrett, and tall and lanky whereas Maureen was shorter, with dark hair and a rounder body. As originally conceived, Holly was a spoiled rich girl, though generally sympathetic. MG's Holly always seemed much more middle-class. Although Maureen Garrett was obviously a good actress, it took a good while for me to accept her as Holly. She was at least as different from Lynn Deerfield as Victoria Wyndham was from Robin Strasser.

I did not see Holly's introduction to the show or the trial where Leslie, then played by Barbara Rodell, was accused of the murder of Holly's father. However, I loved the very well-written story as Holly married a fallen-off-the-wagon Ed Bauer (Mart Hulswit) in Vegas, her brother Ken (Roger Newman) married Janet Mason (Caroline McWilliams), who had once had an affair with Ed, and Holly's ex-boyfriend Roger Thorpe (Michael Zaslow) pursued Janet, mainly because she couldn't stand him. Roger made it appear to Ken and Holly that he actually was having an affair with Janet, activating Ken's jealousy. All of these actors gave consistently fine performances, and all had great working chemistry with each other. With Roger's father (Robert Milli) falling for Holly's mother (Barbara Berjer), the situation became even more tangled.

To me, this character-based storytelling was more interesting than the contrived issue-oriented spousal rape drama which would eventually follow.

Thank you for sharing your memories. I wish any of this was available. I have only ever seen Lynn in a promo. 

I remember Maureen Garrett saying in SOD that Lynn had left the show because she got married, implying she hadn't really wanted to leave. Maureen said Lynn would, for a while, return and  watch her while she was filming, which would unnerve her. 

• Members
2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Thank you for sharing your memories. I wish any of this was available. I have only ever seen Lynn in a promo. 

I remember Maureen Garrett saying in SOD that Lynn had left the show because she got married, implying she hadn't really wanted to leave. Maureen said Lynn would, for a while, return and  watch her while she was filming, which would unnerve her. 

I read that same thing. Didnt she say someone at GL had to tell Lynn to stop visiting so much

• Members
4 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Lynn had married Bill Beutel. longtime ABC news anchor. Maybe she had time on her hands as she adjusted to her new marriage/lifestyle,

That marriage didn't last long but Lynn didn't return to acting.

• Members
7 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Amy, hope you enjoy this!

Image 1 - 1985 CBS TV AD~THE GUIDING LIGHT SOAP OPERA Your Old Love Has Become A Threat

Thanks! God even in that ad Malloy is annoying and overly dramatic.  Not a great time on GL..poor Maeve..Vanessa reduced to be the hand writing housewife!

• Members

Just over two years (12/31/84-1/23/87), according to Soap Central. If you told me that Larkin was fulfilling the terms of a contract with P&G, I'd believe you.

For that matter, Sharon Rose Gabet was on AW for slightly less (3/13/85-1/5/87).