Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Yeah, it was probably me every single time. For some reason the history of several Springfield sets confuses me. Don't ask me why I kept thinking that Ross bought the cottage in the Wexler residence for his new bride Carrie. (And that Alan ended up with the Wexler mansion after Amanda left town). Thanks for the answer!

Thanks for the answer! Nola should have kept Company, or at least should have stayed in Springfield running the boarding house.

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ben and Amanda lived in the carriage house, then Ross did for YEARS.  I have a vague memory of Marah and her friends living in it before they moved into a dormant museum  Am I right?  One of the properties connected to Carrie Carruthers’ secret tunnels.  I remember reading that the carriage house set was so old it literally fell apart. 

Who wound up in Reva Bend?  Didn’t Holly buy it?

Moving the Cross Creek cabin to Springfield…don’t get me started.

The Spaulding “mansion” is a retcon.  Alan and Elizabeth moved to Springfield and bought a house.  Rita pressured Ed into buying an adjacent house so they could live among the wealthy.  (Ed’s house was NICE.  We last saw the living room when Carmen died for the last time, I think.)  Hope used to come over and use Ed’s pool.  I think they were backdoor neighbors.  Only later had the Spauldings ALWAYS lived in Springfield in the mansion.  But that’s not the actual history.

Everyone lived in the damn Beacon by then anyway. 

Edited by antmunoz
Addition

• Members

A very rare upload here. I kept trying to remember if I'd seen it before as there are a few episodes of this era I've seen that were never on Youtube or haven't been in years, but I'm 50-60% sure this is brand new. 

Any time I watch this era I'm fascinated by Kathy's story (year on year of perpetual anguish), so this episode was catnip for me. Susan Douglas wails the house down! I imagine some viewers found it tiresome but I can see why she was so loved. Patricia Wheel (I remember her from some radio soaps, including Radio Mirror covers), playing a nurse I'd never really heard much of, also gives a very tender performance toward the end. As a bonus you also get some Papa/Bill/Bert scenes. 

The date listed on the upload is 5/22/53.

This is a lovely treat. I'm always so glad when anything from these wiped years reappears. I've never let GL or ATWT go, and in these moments it's like they've nevet let me go either. 

@Paul Raven @soapfan770 @Soapsuds @victoria foxton @Vee @SoapDope @antmunoz @slick jones @Mitch64 @vetsoapfan @Sapounopera@Franko @Fevuh @MichaelGL @Soaplovers @Liberty City @Spoon @GLATWT88 @kalbir @dc11786@FrenchFan

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Much appreciated @DRW50!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

One thing I just admire/adore is how GL and it’s set always looks so well polished compared to the other early 50’s soaps. Obviously it was a well running machine made even more successful with being on TV.

The Kathy scenes were just so fascinating to watch…was that a young James Lipton as Dick? The Papa/Bill/Bert scenes just hold up well.

Meta’s son Joey, whatever happened to him? Seems he got lost in the shuffle at some point which is disappointing.