Y&R: Week of June 15-19, 2009

• Members

Have I ever suggested otherwise? :huh:

I've gone on and on about how they're the only enjoyable thing about this show. What more am I supposed to do? I'm not understanding your point at all, especially given how much I've praised all three of these actresses.

Hilarious, I shouldn't even justify this nonsense with a reply...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They've really gutted the family dynamics in both the Abbott and Newman families. Both families have members that are so isolated from one another and both families seemingly lack a figure that serves as some type of moral compass. They really need to fix the family dynamics of this show, especially in the two main core families.

• Members

Well, I DO AGREE that this show needs a moral compass or two. I'm of the opinion that the Newman family NEVER had one. Perhaps Noah can fit this bill? But wer'e missing the likes of Liz Foster, Brock, Stuart Brooks, Traci, etc. I'm not saying everyhitn is perfect by any means, but I'd say the show is 1/3 fabulously orgasmic, 1/3 good, and 1/3 dreck. One gaping hole that nobody mentions is ABBY. Where is she in all this drama at the Newman Ranch? Doesn't she live there? How come she's never around? This is one BIG mistake that's being made right now. I think this regime is doing good... but nobody's perfect. I'm about as satisfied right now as I was when Bill Bell was writing, there was dreck I had to wade through with him, too. It's just time dims the memory of the crap, and holds onto the good. Bill Bell DID do a GREAT orgasmic payoff, and this I feel was MAB's biggest mistake, not taking that face cream trial, and making a bigger deal of it, sending Gloria to jail, and writing her off the show.

• Members

This is only my opinion, but I think the Newmans and the Abbotts have both become so depleted over the years, their family dynamics cannot carry the frontburner. The Abbotts don't seem to be a family anymore. Three of them are on the frontburner and it has done none of their characters any favors, because the writing for them over the past year (if not before then -- you could argue the rot goes back at least five or ten years) has taken a major toll. Nick and Victoria have both been seriously damaged by poor acting and writing, Victor seems very played out, Nikki's on the way out, and Adam no longer has interesting relationships with the family because he's only there to torment.

The Chancellors can still have complex relationships, and relationships that viewers will understand without much effort. Brock is on the show only every so often but you immediately pick up on his affection for "the Duchess". Nina hasn't been on the show in almost a decade and she rarely interacted with Jill and Katherine in the last few years of her run, but almost immediately those old bonds and tensions came through.

There's a history and a strength there which is not there with any other family on Y&R now. They are carrying the show at the moment. Since one is over 80, another was almost run off, and one is a temporary character, I'm not sure what this says about the canvas.

• Members

LOL, why? Nina is love!

I wonder who is at fault for this? Obviously every for letting ti happen, but whom is coming up with this? Something tells me its Hogan, but then again i have a hatred of Hogan for almost killing Days so i tend to blame him for everything, lol. But really, wasnt he brought in to soap it up? Maybe hes taking it too far. But still, shame on all of them for letting it happen.

Its really simple, yet cant seem to be done.

Its sad, but true. The only family who gets play as a family is the fisher/baldwins, and.. well they suck.

I agree the story sucks, but really, Sharon doing that is very IN CHARACTER of her, IMHO.

As others pointed out, too bad you have no idea what you are saying and just bashing to bash. Sylph complained about this show months and months before Alvin did. At first, everyone thought he was crazy. Now? it seems like a good chuck of people agree with what he has said.

And he just copy/pasts what Alvin says? Please. Do you not see the two of them discuss things? from diff P{OV's? Or do you just scroll by, juidge, and sneer?

Honestly, Y&R needs to focus in on this dynamic family of women. Kay, Jill, Nina... bring Mac into this fold as well, and to an extent even Esther and Chloe. The relationships they have with eachother, the issues they have with eachother.

• Members

I keep forgetting Chloe is Esther's daughter. I forgot again until you reminded me. I don't ever forget Mac is Kay's granddaughter but aside from the early years with AB, I've had a hard time ever seeing her as a relevant part of Kay's life. For a long time now Mac as a character just seems to...be there.

I'd enjoy seeing them put both young women into the Chancellor orbit. I wouldn't have minded seeing them become friends, making their conflict over Billy more upsetting for them.

I think most of their plans for her dried up when Don Diamont was fired. All the drama of her relationship with Victor was settled before her arrival, and there's no one on the show in her age range that she isn't blood related to.

• Members

Their three main teen characters are recurring and the actors don't make many appearances on the show per month. There's almost no emphasis on the teens of this show (I'm not complaining, however), which is in contrast to many other shows concerning teens, especially in the summer.

It would have been nice to see Noah a lot more interacting with his parents. Him berating them felt so flat to me, because for months, they've hardly given him anything to play.

• Members

And thats my issue with Mac. I think moving her back into that orbit might help.

I aslso think at first they were going to go with a mac/chloe friendfship and billy wanting mac and mac wanting billy but not acting on it at all and trying to move on, and then BAM it happens and shes betryed her friend. that woulda been much better than what we have now.

I do think Clem Ford works well with Cooper and Walton too.

• Members

I don't even think it's realistic for each family to have a moral compass. Victor is so polarizing it could neuter him. Katherine and before Douglas are enough for the Newman family, IMO. They're a family of rattlesnakes so what do you expect? Maybe the children are what grounds them. But the Abbott's definitely need Traci and Mamie with Dina heading the family and the Williams could be rebuilt, but they need Mary. All three families need the writers to want this and until it fits their story it's not going to happen. The show does have a very limited focus so maybe when Victoria returns to the frontburner and there is need for the Newman's to be rebuilt they'll do it. Right now the Chancellor family is most featured because they're the only full, rebuilt family. This was necessary for the story which is the only reason it was done

Some of these stories are borderline and I do think if they better utilized the cast (like last year) the stories would work better. Like others have said, the lack of Abby and Noah makes absolutely no sense. Both should be major players in the Adam story and Noah should be a major character in the Quad. I don't like the extreme of too much teens or no teens. I think since they write those old geezers Amber, Daniel, etc. as teens it leaves no room for more immature characters. In a way the show IS full of teens. I hate to go back to it, but that art story returning yesterday was painful to watch. I could hardly pay attention to the show because that story is just so bad.

Also, on the subject of Alvin and Sylph, couldn't we just discuss the show, their opinions if you'd like, but not make it so personal? I feel like certain posters are attacking them for their opinions. Then we get these big fights that derail the discussion because people decide to take things personally. I don't dislike the show in the same way as them, but I certainly see the problems and think both have valid comments.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 19 2009, 03:20 AM)
I don't even think it's realistic for each family to have a moral compass. Victor is so polarizing it could neuter him. Katherine and before Douglas are enough for the Newman family, IMO. They're a family of rattlesnakes so what do you expect? Maybe the children are what grounds them. But the Abbott's definitely need Traci and Mamie with Dina heading the family and the Williams could be rebuilt, but they need Mary. All three families need the writers to want this and until it fits their story it's not going to happen. The show does have a very limited focus so maybe when Victoria returns to the frontburner and there is need for the Newman's to be rebuilt they'll do it. Right now the Chancellor family is most featured because they're the only full, rebuilt family. This was necessary for the story which is the only reason it was done.

I don't think a moral compass is needed as much as they need strong bonds that show different facets to the characters, different sides of each member of the family. They stopped doing that with the Newmans because it's easier to write them a separate characters and easier to write Victor with one dimension.

You're probably right that the Chancellors have only been rebuilt because of this story but I think that's a sad reflection. Complex family dynamics are what soaps are about. The Abbotts in particular have suffered greatly from the show's lack of interest in writing for any family relationships. When they do write for them, it's for pointlessness like Billy sleeping with Jack's wife, which did no one any favors.

Archived