Y&R: Week of June 15-19, 2009

• Members

And I hate to say it, but there are a lot of young women like CKLily. Just this morning (shoot me) I saw some MTV reality series about young couples marrying (too early). Train wrecks.

I think that now it is all being done for the huge crash-and-burn to come. Increase that contrast effect.

If, coming out of this, Lily goes straight into another romance...and if she is not hardened, distrusting, etc...then I really need to throw shoes at either TPTB or CKLily or both.

In the aftermath of Cane, Lily should get a short, tight haircut and TOUGHEN UP.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i couldnt disagree more.

they have No chem, the actors dont play well off eachother.

They are a blackhole.

Also, Billy/Mac may not have "it" but i wouldnt say they are a blackhole either. They have had great moments, IMHO. Id love to see what could happen with decent writing an actuall storyline for them.

• Members

I disagree. Lane has zero zero zero chemistry. DG tries pretty hard to manufacture it, but it all just gets sucked into the greater narcissism and cluelessness of CKLily.

I think she was once better. And if not, I think she was fine for an adolescent first love with Daniel. But now... disaster.

Though I'm trying to deny it, I think Goddard would work best with Tricia Cast, especially if those two start from a position of hatred...but come to realize that they both started as "cons" or "grifters", and have matured into something better.

I also think Goddard _could_ work with Mac. The ages seem more right, and certainly the maturity level.

CKLily, though, must be sent away UNLESS she is capable of significant toughening up.

Total agreement.

• Members

Chemistry is subjective and I don't see it. they are sappy sweet and drive me to hit the remote as quickly as possible, which is never quite quick enough. Seriously, this couple makes me ill and Sharon and Nick are just as bad. Romance does not have to be this juvenile.

I would LOVE to have Tracy back. She would be great as the Abbott matriarch. It's time for Steve to die, so Tracy can come home to GC.

• Members

First, I never said I hated Lane. I said I don't see the writers catering to the fanbase. And I don't see any real investment in this couple on the writers part. Their dialogue is cheesy and best suited for Barney or Seaseme Street. Lily has been written into a complete airhead. She has no goals/ambitions outside of being a baby factory for Cane.

MarkH I am in complete with you about Lily. I hope this leads to some much needed character development for her. If not then I'll be pissed with MAB....

As for Billy/Mac I agree there is no chem between BM and CF. If they really want to make Billy/Mac a solid couple then recast CF.

• Members

I never thought that after last year's boring and non-eventful year that the show would end up sucking in the opposite direction with ridiculous plot-driven antics this year.

I think by July I'll just watch clips of the Chancellor storyline, my hope is drained out for the rest of this show. The storylines just suck and are NOT Y&R. I personally don't understand all the recent defense for MAB and company, they just don't deserve it in my book. The storylines are polarizing and ratings are threading back DOWN. What's it going to take for people to want a better writer for this show? Yeah, it could get worse, but what's the use of not at least hoping for someone better to come in?

• Members

You know what the defense of MAB is?

First, gratitude. In January of 2008, she led us out of the wilderness. You always appreciate the one who saved you.

Second, hope. She has the Bell backing, she restored order to the show, so there is great hope that she might continue to be the standard bearer.

Third, some successes. Even you admit -- it is near universal -- that there were moments of true greatness this last year. I'm not claiming consistency -- and I know consistency is important -- but when you see those shining moments you KNOW the capability is there. Therefore, you just keep hoping that the successes will become more sustained.

Fourth, episode-for-episode, the show is often really good. By this I mean, within a show, the staging, dialogue, etc. is really great. I mean, most days of the week there are truly wonderful moments of production, acting and dialogue on this show. I realize your focus is more on the long-form story part, but the day-to-day thing is (for many of us) very good. For example, some people might hate the Haiduk-as-psycho story, but they still enjoy, on an episode-by-episode basis, what Haiduk brings to that episode.

Fifth, the compensatory benefit of the cast and production values and even the BDW/SWs. This is related to the above. Because so much of the rest of the show is good -- even great -- it sort of offsets the problems you are identifying.

Sixth, and this is related to hope, there is a tendency for things to be cyclical. You, personally, have identified "March 09" as the time when the show went south for you. Okay, now we'll differ in our tolerance. For me, if I were to agree with you (I do in part, just not so emphatically), and nothing were better in September/October, I'd probably join your bandwagon. But I, personally, tend to give a regime 6-12 months to get out of these holes.

If I didn't, I wouldn't still be watching B&B every freakin' miserable day. (I was hoping Ridge would take 30-40 valiums with his red wine yesterday).

• Members

Then allow me. I HATE Lane. I hate, hate, hate this syrupy, inane couple. Cane has to be at least 35. There is no excuse for someone that age to behave like a love sick teenager. At the very least, I shouldn't have to be subjected to it. During their honeymoon scenes I accidentally left my remote on the other side of the room. Let me tell you I literally tripped over myself in an effort to get to it. Thank god I was alone. They are unbearable. I think Mark is right and this is just a contrast to the disillusionment to come, but it is still hard to bear.

• Members

i wish they would just move on from billy/mac.

mac could be a good character, but she enver bodes well in romances. bu this is a couple show now.

i would love it if they just moved her into supporting kay/jill storyline and working or something. maybe hit on her experiances over the past few years and whats ehs delt with.

but its obvious they want mac in billys story and thats that, sad too. because i really think clem is a great actress in an awful role thats just not working.

• Members

I think Clem has greatly improved since she started and I like her as Mac. the romance with Billy isn't working for me though. I wish they hadn't thrown serious romance and family at Billy before Billy Miller had a chance to truly cement himself in this role. I would have much rather seen him with his family and getting into trouble before he ended up with a child and true love story.

• Members

The show was boring and mess then too. Sabrina overload, nothing happening, and art and fashion for all!

I also remember you defending and liking MAB's early tenure when it was universally hated...

What order? You mean her million man writing team? Her storylines the go in circles, like this stupid quad. Her constant use of psychos to drive plot, her lack of romance and couples that have great chemistry, and half of the canvas being without a story? I HATE LML, but she used more characters than MAB and company.

And you mean the same Bell backing that also help put LML in charge and watched on as she got rid of long time Y&R writers, producers, actors, and directors??

And you keep getting disappointed, for me at least. MAB has had a year and half or so. She's done some good, but she's just not competent or a creative storyteller. Her lack of experience as a soap writer shows.

How is it "near universal?" Most of the storyline aren't plesing tht many people. The Katherine storyline was probably most universally liked, but I cannot say the same for other storylines.

The credits should go to the individual actors, producers, and script writers then, NOT MAB, HS, and SH.

This is very subjective. Many do not like the dialogue and many scenes fall flat for a lot of us.

Many of these holes I've cited have existed since the start of the MAB administration and at the beginning of the MAB, HS, and SH administration.

I'm not the only one that went from liking the show to hating it since then. Many others have expressed that in this thread, and most posters seem to have become increasingly negative about the show in this thread. There has to be a reason for that, and again, ratings are threading downward once more.

Y&R runs in circles as much as B&B. Need I cite this stupid quad again? Y&R is hardly any better than any other soap right now, IMO.

• Members

CK can't toughen up Lily because Lily comes off as a joke under CK. CKLily can't even scare Summer at this point.

Just remember when she falls for the next man three second flat we got to forget that she was with Kevin & Daniel. All we have to think she only be with Cane & Billy.

• Members

See, i think Clem is great. I loved her on The L Word, she played an amazing layerd character and rocked a great love story as a women falling for another woman, however when she came to Y&R she wasnt there, and without doubt it was being thurst into the daytime pace. It can lose you. We have had seasoned pros say that. And i agree with you, she has greatly approved. I think shes getting the pace and finding her footing now.

I just hate that Mac is such a dull annoying character. I hate more that the put right into this love story wil billy without reintroducing her to the canvas and moving her around.

Archived