Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

I'm sorry, but what does Chris Engen know to quit because of the writing? Adam was a new role, the last we ever saw of him was when he was a kid. He had no real backstory, and Engen probably knew very little about the character before landing the role. And really, who is he to complain? He isn't a vet, he isn't a writer, and there's been no reports of him not getting along with co-stars or producers.

Every actor on a soap has trouble with the writing for their character from time to time, but they don't quit because of it when they're under contract.

I have no sympathy for Engen and he brought it all on himself. He reportedly quit, the didn't fire him or force him to do that.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But does not wanting to kiss a guy really make him a homophobe? I just don't buy that at all. I think someone could be all for gay rights and not feel comfortable kissing another guy for many many reasons, including religious ones. I'm an atheist, but people do have a right to their beliefs and I think it's unfair to expect people to go against them.

I think these shows need to be upfront with people before they cast these roles. I'd feel the same way if they get TB under contract letting him think he is playing gay and then next thing you know he's in scenes kissing Nina or The Bug. If he isn't comfortable kissing woman or playing straight it shouldn't be required. Not unless they let him know full well in advance. If he doesn't want to, that doesn't make him a misogynist.

I wonder if the idea here is to pair P3 with Adam and have P4 have a difficult time with his dad's sexuality? I think that could be very interesting.

• Members

I would argue that CE is far from objective/unbiased :lol: Though that's probably not what you meant :)

But I don't really see who can be considered unbiased/objective. Is your criteria based on orientation, i.e. if the person reporting is gay, then he is biased, but if not, they can see this clearly or something else?

• Members

I have been enjoying Chris Engen/Adam on screen-the villianous turn has been interesting.People saying it's out of character for Hope's son-I don't agree.Maybe it's a reaction against Hope's character-being the son of a blind woman,the expectations of having to be as nice as she,knowing his real father was out there-I can buy it.

Maybe that needed to be better explained.

As for writing him into a corner I agree,but it doesn't have to mean the end of Adam.

May I remind you of Phyllis-hit and run driver,Victor-imprisoned rival in bomb shelter,Paul-raped Christine etc-let alone all the immoral business dealings various characters have got up to and got away with.

If Engen objected to the kiss,yes that is his right,but it is homophobia unless he is totally devoted to the character motivations and that it his basis for his objection.If that is the case,he shouldn't be doing soaps.

He has to play what's written-he can make objections as many actors do,but as a newbie he doesn't have the power that EB or PB has,and they have had to play stuff they didn't like or agree with.

I wonder what the reaction would be if he refused to kiss a black actress.Please,kissing a guy in an acting situation should be no different to anything else,and if the actor can't handle it,they should be looking to their own issues.Many actors have had to play opposite members of opposite sex they are not attracted to.

Did Clementine Ford object to kissing Billy Miller.No,she is a professional who gets the job done!

• Members

Destroying your career over it sure sounds homophobic. And that's what breach of contract does.

As for whether he should've been warned, hundreds of soap actors have said since time immemoriam, 'I only know what I'm doing and who my character is when I get the script.' Characterization and direction are very rarely under their control; the best they can do is try to imbue those actions and stories with a consistent performance. Chris Engen is not a special case anymore than Erika Slezak, Nancy Lee Grahn or David Canary get a say. Which they don't.

• Members

I'm not calling him a homophobe, but he quit while he had a contract, so for that alone, he gets no sympathy from me. At least when Victoria Rowell left a few years back, she went directly to Latham and ASKED her personally to be let out of her contract, ditto with Michelle Stafford in 1997 when she left to do that flop Spelling show.

It sounds like he just decided to quit and didn't go to higher-ups to ask to be let out of his contract. Unprofessional and foolish, IMO.

• Members

They dealt with Phyllis and the hit and run driver by dropping the story once Phyllis became popular. They got away with it because no one on the show ever knew she was the hit and run driver. Paul raping Christine became "rough sex", which I thought was still very damaging to Paul's character. Victor always gets away with everything.

Adam became evil and a big wimp for no real reason the script gave. There was never any motivation for the character, he's been used to drive story for Victor and now Ashley, because they get more mileage out of plot-driven stories instead of focusing on characterization.

I don't think this gave Chris Engen the right to leave, but I can see why he would have hated the story.

• Members

I really don't think it's fair to label him as a bad person. Lots of actors won't do certain things, in film, some actors have no nudity clauses because they do not feel comfortable doing those sort of scenes? Does that mean they are in the wrong profession? Absolutely not. I realize that is a bit different than this, but it still relates to a comfort zone. We don't know all the details yet, so it's hard to judge, but I don't think he did anything wrong for objecting, sometimes objections happen in acting. It's not fair at all to slap a bigot label on an actor over this.

• Members

Oh goodness. How many people complain about their jobs? He is making, excuse me, was making 6-figures in a very important role on the #1 rated soap. Actors complain about their storylines all the time (Katherine Heigl anyone?) but they still do the work.

Archived